[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: PD software for OCR

rajiv@hpclrk.HP.COM (Rajiv Kumar) (11/28/90)

I am loking for a public domain software for the IBM PC
which does OCR (optical character recognition). Any pointers
will be greatly appreciated.

Rajiv Kumar

Internet: rajiv@hpclrk.cup.hp.com
UUCP    : ....!hplabs!hpclrk!rajiv

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (12/01/90)

In article <12340003@hpclrk.HP.COM> rajiv@hpclrk.HP.COM (Rajiv Kumar) writes:
>I am loking for a public domain software for the IBM PC
>which does OCR (optical character recognition). Any pointers
>will be greatly appreciated.

Look for OCR102X.ZIP on SIMTEL20 or one of its mirror systems

(It is not public domain and does not come with source, but the registation
is not back and you get to try it before you register.)

BTW: if you happen to find anything else I would be greatly interest, particularly
if it comes with source.

Frank
frank@odetics.com or uunet!odetics!frank

davemill@cbnewsd.att.com (d.m.miller) (12/03/90)

>>Look for OCR102X.ZIP on SIMTEL20 or one of its mirror systems <<

A while back I tried to use OCR102X.ZIP.  It worked great with the
.tif file supplied, but all I ever got was "TIFF error 4" with the
files I scanned. I posted an article asking if anyone could tell me
what I was doing wrong, but received no replies.

My files were generated with a Logitech Scanman using the supplied
SCAN program. My files looked just like the sample file with the PAINT
program.   There is nothing said about errors in the OCR102X.ZIP
documentation.

So, I will ask again if any could help me out.

Dave Miller
AT&T Bell Laboratroies
ihlpf!dave