[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] RZSZ.TLB - VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/12/90)

Chuck Forsberg's RZ/SZ (Zmodem) for VAX/VMS is available from
SIMTEL20:

pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)

Please note that this file should be transferred in binary mode.
See your VMS help for how to deal with "Text Library" files.  It's
a compressed archive containing the docs and already compiled
executables for VMS RZ and SZ.  I have tested it on a VMS host I have
access to and it does work.  It knows how to transfer binary files in
the correct format too.  Best of all, it's faster than Kermit.

Please pass this information along to anyone else who might be
interested.  It should make life a lot easier for PC users of VMS
systems.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/13/90)

In article <KPETERSEN.12637223786.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Chuck Forsberg's RZ/SZ (Zmodem) for VAX/VMS is available from
>SIMTEL20:
>pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
>RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)

Good news.  Keith, what release is this file?  I received the 0411
release with my DSZ registration, but it turned out to contain a
major bug or two.  Chuck says this has been fixed in all releases
later than may/90, but I cannot find any such releases of RZSZ..

The copy on wuarchive is fairly ancient, and I have yet to browse simtel.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (11/14/90)

In article <4864@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>>pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
>>RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)
>
>Good news.  Keith, what release is this file?  I received the 0411
>release with my DSZ registration, but it turned out to contain a
>major bug or two.  Chuck says this has been fixed in all releases
>later than may/90, but I cannot find any such releases of RZSZ..

The sign-on banners of the executables display these messages:

rz 4.05 9-12-90 for VMS Copyright Omen Technology INC
sz 4.21 09-10-90 for VMS Copyright Omen Technology INC

RZSZ.TLB was obtained from Chuck Forsberg.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (11/14/90)

I use rz/sz to and from a pc-sun link, and they are great..seem
twice as fast as kermit. But how do I use these between two
unix systems over a phone line?

) (11/14/90)

Is anyone else having problems extracting the files out of RZSZ.TLB?  The
LIBRARY utility on my system is telling me that the file is not a proper format.
Can someone please help?  Thanks.

 Santanu Sircar                                BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet
 University of Massachusetts/Amherst           INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 "A pig ate his fill of acorns under an oak tree and then started to root
   around the tree.  A crow remarked, `You should not do this.  If you lay bare
   the roots, the tree will wither and die.' `Let it die,' said the pig.  `Who
   cares so long as there are acorns?'"	-"Animal Farm" by George Orwell

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/15/90)

In article <16603@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
>I use rz/sz to and from a pc-sun link, and they are great..seem
>twice as fast as kermit. But how do I use these between two
>unix systems over a phone line?

From tsfaq13.arc (soon to be released).  (It shouldn't be overly
different between two Unixes).

29. *****
 Q: How to make z-modem transfer between a Unix mainframe and my PC?

 A: You naturally need the z-modem programs both for your Unix host
and your PC. If you don't have them, they can be found in the
/pc/pd2 and /unix/ts directories at uwasa.fi archives. The
/unix/ts/0dir-u file explains how to unpack the Unix facilities.
Unpacking the PC facilities is standard knowledge, so no more about
that.
   To the the transfers going at the PC end of things you'll find
useful the information that is contained in /pc/pd2/zdoc0108.zip,
/pc/ts/tskerm24.arc (zset.cmd in particular), and also
/pc/ts/tspfon29.arc (pcpqa.txt in there). These latter two packages
concern primarily MsKermit and Procomm, but the z-modem ideas in
them are general.
   At the Unix end of things you invoke a binary transfer using
     sz -bey YourFile
     rz -bey
 and an ascii transfer by using
     sz -aey YourFile
     rz -aey
Note that I have experimented with this only on a BSD Unix Sun 4.

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (11/15/90)

In article <11439.274147cd@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>Is anyone else having problems extracting the files out of RZSZ.TLB?  The
>LIBRARY utility on my system is telling me that the file is not a proper format.
>Can someone please help?  Thanks.

First, make sure you get the file in TENEX mode.

I did that, and still found it rather a pain, never having used the LIBRARY
command before.

I was able to list the file using (I think) the /LIST option, and noticed
that the archive contains a file called EXTRACT...

I then just extracted EXTRACT* (note that none of the file names seem to have
extensions as far as LIBRARY is concerned), and got a COM file that when run
extracted the rest of the files in the correct format.

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (11/17/90)

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:

>>I use rz/sz to and from a pc-sun link, and they are great..seem
>>twice as fast as kermit. But how do I use these between two
>>unix systems over a phone line?

You don't.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>From tsfaq13.arc (soon to be released).  (It shouldn't be overly
>different between two Unixes).
> [about PC-to-Unix communications]

Unfortunately, it IS different between two Unixes, or a Unix and a VMS,
or what have you.  The reason is that rz/sz, like most mainframe comm
protocols, send data by writing it to the screen and receive it by read-
ing from the "keyboard" (i.e., stdin).  It is the PC end of things which
controls the phone line and either "types" the data out the phone line
or intercepts it before it gets to your screen (depending on whether
you're uploading or downloading, respectively).  The mainframe packages
have no way to associate themselves with a communications port, much less
dial out and deal with the initial connections, logging in, and other
stuff.

But don't take MY word for it...from Forsberg's rz documentation (version
3.03 / 25 May 1989, but still applicable, presumably; the sz documentation
has the same disclaimer):

	Rz is not intended be called from cu(1), or other communica-
	tions   programs.    Unix   flavors   of  Omen  Technology's
	Professional-YAM communications software are  available  for
	dial-out applications.

[Quoted without permission...bwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!]

Of course, since the source is available (at least for the older version),
you could always write your own comm-port module and interface it with
the zmodem download source.  Not easy, mind you, but it could be done...

Greg

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (11/18/90)

I got the suggestion to start a connection by running kermit on local machine
to phone remote, starting sz on remote unix box, and then "escaping"
local kermit
and starting rx with /dev/tty? attached as stdin/stdout.
  This did not work with the C-kermit I have on my suns. I got timeout error
messages on console, and looking at modem lights show that data is not moving.
Clarence Wilkerson

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov17.062459.9537@nas.nasa.gov> roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov writes:
>wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
>or what have you.  The reason is that rz/sz, like most mainframe comm
>protocols, send data by writing it to the screen and receive it by read-
>ing from the "keyboard" (i.e., stdin).  It is the PC end of things which
>controls the phone line and either "types" the data out the phone line
>or intercepts it before it gets to your screen (depending on whether
>you're uploading or downloading, respectively).  The mainframe packages
>have no way to associate themselves with a communications port, much less
>dial out and deal with the initial connections, logging in, and other
>stuff.
>
>But don't take MY word for it...from Forsberg's rz documentation (version
>3.03 / 25 May 1989, but still applicable, presumably; the sz documentation
>has the same disclaimer):
>
>	Rz is not intended be called from cu(1), or other communica-
>	tions   programs.    Unix   flavors   of  Omen  Technology's
>	Professional-YAM communications software are  available  for
>	dial-out applications.
Yes, I know Chuck Forsberg said rz/sz are not intended to be called from cu(1)
or other comm packages, but, I regularly call rz/sz from tip and it works fine.
I'm sure he would be much happier if you bough his Pro-YAMM package to do the
same thing...

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

doug@fryeten.uucp (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov17.062459.9537@nas.nasa.gov>, roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) writes:
> wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu.UUCP (Clarence Wilkerson) writes:
>
>>>I use rz/sz to and from a pc-sun link, and they are great..seem
>>>twice as fast as kermit. But how do I use these between two
>>>unix systems over a phone line?
>
> You don't.
>

> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>
>>From tsfaq13.arc (soon to be released).  (It shouldn't be overly
>>different between two Unixes).
>> [about PC-to-Unix communications]
>
> Unfortunately, it IS different between two Unixes, or a Unix and a VMS,
> or what have you.  The reason is that rz/sz, like most mainframe comm
> protocols, send data by writing it to the screen and receive it by read-
> ing from the "keyboard" (i.e., stdin).  It is the PC end of things which
> controls the phone line and either "types" the data out the phone line
> or intercepts it before it gets to your screen (depending on whether
> you're uploading or downloading, respectively).  The mainframe packages
> have no way to associate themselves with a communications port, much less
> dial out and deal with the initial connections, logging in, and other
> stuff.

On the contrary VMS has a way to do it through the use of the logical name
TT: and through switching between SET HOST/DTE and RZ or SZ.  I have a DCL
program which handles this as perfectly and as transparently as Kermit and
other integrated communication programs.  My guess is that you can do the
same thing with Unix with a shell program and the use of redirection,
although I have very little experience with unix so I can't speak from
experience.

> But don't take MY word for it...from Forsberg's rz documentation (version
> 3.03 / 25 May 1989, but still applicable, presumably; the sz documentation
> has the same disclaimer):
>
> 	Rz is not intended be called from cu(1), or other communica-
> 	tions   programs.    Unix   flavors   of  Omen  Technology's
> 	Professional-YAM communications software are  available  for
> 	dial-out applications.
>
> [Quoted without permission...bwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!]

Read the above very carefully.  All he said was that RZ is not "INTENDED"
to be called from cu(1), or other communication programs.  He didn't say
that it couldn't be accomplished.  On the other hand I did email him
directly some months ago and at that time he indicated to me that it couldn't
be done. A little while later I found a DCL program on a bulletin board that
proved him wrong. I know this isn't much help to the original question about
it's use under Unix but it may be a hint to trying something in combination
with the shell language, an existing simple terminal communication program
(perhaps cu), and RZ and SZ.

By the way if anybody wants a copy of the DCL program to look at and modify
for your own purposes, I would be happy to email it to you.  Of course this
would probable be of more interest to comp.os.vms since DCL is a part of
VMS.

 _______________  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
|   _________   | | Doug White           |             Email              |
|  |  _______|  | | Frye Electronics,Inc.|        doug@fryeten.UUCP       |
|  | |_______   | | Tigard, OR           |               or               |
|  |  _______|  | | Voice: 503 620 2722  | ...!percy!fryepro!fryeten!doug |
|  | |__________| | Fax:   503 639 0128  |                                |
|__|              *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

j-towns@uiuc.edu (John Towns) (11/21/90)

In article <KPETERSEN.12637223786.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>,
w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
> Chuck Forsberg's RZ/SZ (Zmodem) for VAX/VMS is available from
> SIMTEL20:
>
> pd3:<misc.vaxvms>
> RZSZ.TLB        VMS ZMODEM send/rcve prg & doc (Text LIB file)
>
> Please note that this file should be transferred in binary mode.
> See your VMS help for how to deal with "Text Library" files.  It's
> a compressed archive containing the docs and already compiled
> executables for VMS RZ and SZ.  I have tested it on a VMS host I have
> access to and it does work.  It knows how to transfer binary files in
> the correct format too.  Best of all, it's faster than Kermit.
>
> Please pass this information along to anyone else who might be
> interested.  It should make life a lot easier for PC users of VMS
> systems.
>
> Keith
> --
> Keith Petersen
> Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
> Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
> Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

	Can anyone tell me where to locate something like this for a UNIX
system???  I have something that is quite old and only the SZ portion works..
It wold be nice to have something newer and an RZ that works...

	John Towns
        j-towns@uiuc.edu
--

goes@vx.acs.umn.edu (12/04/90)

In article <13.2747e8d5@fryeten.uucp>, doug@fryeten.uucp writes...
>TT: and through switching between SET HOST/DTE and RZ or SZ.  I have a DCL
>program which handles this as perfectly and as transparently as Kermit and

>By the way if anybody wants a copy of the DCL program to look at and modify
>for your own purposes, I would be happy to email it to you.  Of course this

Doug, could you ship me a copy of this.  Sorry for posting (forgive
the bandwidth) but we can't reply to UUCP.  Thanks.
Jim Goes                           |BITNET:   GOES@UMNACVX or JGOES@UMINN1
Health Services Administration     |InterNet: GOES@VX.ACS.UMN.EDU
School of Public Health            |UUCP:     {fav backbone}!uxacs!vxacs!goes
University of Minnesota            |MaBell:   (612) 624-3118
QuayleWatch Quote of the Week: "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession
that teach our family" (recent address to members of the Hudson Institute)