[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v09i033 - sd, selects directories

magnet@ac.dal.ca (12/04/90)

The directory selecting tool SD (v09i033) posted here recently has a very
irritating bug.  When subdirectories are presented, you may use arrow keys
to select the one you want, _or_ you may type the first letter of the
subdirectory's name.  The latter operation _also_ immediately selects that
subdirectory, and you drop down one level, _without_ a confirming carriage
return.

The bug is that this happens even when more than one subdirectory starts
with the letter in question.  For example, in the subdirectory where I keep
my file unpacking tools, I have subdirectories ZIP and ZOO.  Typing 'z'
gets me ZIP in downright zippy fashion, even when it's ZOO I wanted.  To
get ZOO, the only way is tap-tap-tap (over three) and then tap-tap-tap
(down three).

Stephen Ritcey.

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) (12/04/90)

magnet@ac.dal.ca writes:

>The directory selecting tool SD (v09i033) posted here recently has a very
>irritating bug.  When subdirectories are presented, you may use arrow keys
>to select the one you want, _or_ you may type the first letter of the
>subdirectory's name.  The latter operation _also_ immediately selects that
>subdirectory, and you drop down one level, _without_ a confirming carriage
>return.

>The bug is that this happens even when more than one subdirectory starts
>with the letter in question.  For example, in the subdirectory where I keep
>my file unpacking tools, I have subdirectories ZIP and ZOO.  Typing 'z'
>gets me ZIP in downright zippy fashion, even when it's ZOO I wanted.  To
>get ZOO, the only way is tap-tap-tap (over three) and then tap-tap-tap
>(down three).

Yes your right it is a bug but the bug is that on a monochrome display the
highlighted selection characters for each option do not show up. What you
were assuming quite rightly was that pressing a "Z" for example took you
to the start of the "Z" options but what it actually does is select the
first option with a Z in it. On a colour display this is not a problem.
Sorry for the confusion, if anyone wants the fixed version please email me
or I will post it if there are enough requests.
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Owen Baker                   |  Communication Services Unit              |
|  rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au   |  RMIT - Victoria University of Technology |
|  (61) (3) 660-2038            |  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia           |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/04/90)

In article <6414@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:
>magnet@ac.dal.ca writes:
>
>>The directory selecting tool SD (v09i033) posted here recently has a very
>>irritating bug.  When subdirectories are presented, you may use arrow keys
... much deleted ...

May I pop in a personal view, even if I know that this is a matter
taste.  I've tried sd and found using /pc/pd2/dc106f.zip a more
convenient proposition for menu-driven change of directory.  I tell
this because some users of the Directory Control (dc106f) program
may not have noticed that the program may be used for this purpose
as well.  (The trick is to exit using ctrl-Q).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)