[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wanted: Decent BACKUP program

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) (11/26/90)

I just spent 45 minutes backing up my 30MB hard drive onto 360K
floppies.  I'm looking for a better backup program!  Here's a list
of features I'm looking for, in decreasing order of importance:

- Ability to do incremental backups

- Ability to format floppies as needed during the backup process

- No choking if a floppy is bad - should be able to recover by asking
  for another floppy.

- Ability to backup first to drive A, then B, then A, etc. to speed up
  backup - no waiting for disk swapping

- Automatic ? compression of files as they're backed up

- Creation of an index file specifying which disk(s) files were backed up
  to.

Anyone have any pointers to such a program?  Preferably public domain, as
I'm notoriously cheap. :-)

Thanks,
--
David F. Skoll                              Department of Electronics
dfs@doe.carleton.ca                         Carleton University

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (11/27/90)

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) writes:

> I just spent 45 minutes backing up my 30MB hard drive onto 360K
> floppies.  I'm looking for a better backup program!  Here's a list
> of features I'm looking for, in decreasing order of importance:

[list of Good Things removed]

> Anyone have any pointers to such a program?  Preferably public domain, as
> I'm notoriously cheap. :-)

This would be Nice. :-)

Backup programs should be given their spot in a newsgroup
(alt.religion.backups?).  Everyone has their favorite.  The one that
I've seen that does what you are asking for is FASTBACK, unfortunately
it is commericial.  But it works on my systems (one IBM PC, one IBM/XT,
and ITT xTRA, a COMPAQ 386/16, a no-name 386/25 and a homebrew 8-bit
80286); if it were going to be inconsistent, I think I would have found
out.  Look to EGGHEAD Software for a good price.

clear@cavebbs.uucp (Charlie Lear) (11/27/90)

In article <dfs.659634972@wesley> dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) writes:
>I'm looking for a better backup program!  Here's a list
>of features I'm looking for, in decreasing order of importance:
<list deleted> <Disclaimer - satisfied Fastback Plus user ravings follow>

Every single feature you listed is built into Fastback Plus. I used to use
Intelligent Backup and Back-It, until I needed to restore data from backups.
Never again! I've been a committed Fastback Plus disciple ever since. If I
may make a suggestion on your order of features, perhaps the two most
important which should have been at the top are "Ease of restoring data"
and "Data integrity and error correction". FB+ excels at both.
Charlie "The Bear" Lear | The Cave MegaBBS +64 4 643429  Usenet/Fido/Files
clear@cavebbs.gen.nz    | PO Box 2009, Wellington, New Zealand V32-6 lines

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (11/27/90)

In article <LmF0s3w163w@halcyon.uucp> ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:

   Backup programs should be given their spot in a newsgroup
   (alt.religion.backups?).  Everyone has their favorite.  The one that
   I've seen that does what you are asking for is FASTBACK, unfortunately
   it is commericial.  But it works on my systems (one IBM PC, one IBM/XT,
   and ITT xTRA, a COMPAQ 386/16, a no-name 386/25 and a homebrew 8-bit
   80286); if it were going to be inconsistent, I think I would have found
   out.  Look to EGGHEAD Software for a good price.

Yes, Fastback is a fast program. I just hope you never have to restore
the data you backed up. It's not exactly intuitive. The first time I
used the program, I had to spend about 15 minutes trying to figure out
why the restore I just did resulted in no files on my hard disk. I've
also had to help several clients figure out how to restore.

I guess that's why it's called "FastBACK." It certainly isn't Fast
restore!

--Michael L Barrow
mlbarrow@mit.edu
o MIT Information Systems/Information Services MCR Consultant
o Project Athena Volunteer User Consultant
o Member, Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
o Oh, yeah.....I'm a student too! (MIT '93)
--

mendi@netcom.UUCP (Greg Mendizabal) (11/27/90)

From article <dfs.659634972@wesley>, by dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll):

> Anyone have any pointers to such a program?  Preferably public domain, as
> I'm notoriously cheap. :-)

I was with you 100% until this point ^.  I own PCBACKUP as part of PCTools.
It is available standalone too, now.  But it does everything you mentioned.
Plus some.  I haven't had any problems with it.

But it ain't free.........if you want more details you can email me.

GRM

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/28/90)

In article <17539@netcom.UUCP> mendi@netcom.UUCP (Greg Mendizabal) writes:
#  ...........  I own PCBACKUP as part of PCTools.
#It is available standalone too, now.  But it does everything you mentioned.
#But it ain't free.........if you want more details you can email me.

I use PCBACKUP too - indeed it's the main reason I bought PCTOOLS 6.
I particularly like its interactive interface, its ability to save
your favourite sets of backup options, its speed (it runs the hard disk and
the floppy simultaneously if your dual-port DMA can do so safely), and the
fact that it records recovery data on the diskette so it can recover all
your files even if your diskette develops errors (fortunately I haven't
had to test that feature yet but as everything else I've tried works I
believe them).   Backup options include FULL and various incrementals;
you pick the combination you like.

I also like the fact that it estimates how many diskettes you'll need,
though it gets a bit optimistic if you use 'space optimise compression'
(unnoticably slower than 'time optimise' on a '286 up) on a disk full of
zoo files or other compressed data.  It gets a good ratio on ordinary .exe
or text files though.

Regards,          "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"
        David Wright             STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk  <or> ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww  <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (11/28/90)

>From: mendi@netcom.UUCP (Greg Mendizabal)
>Subject: Re: Wanted: Decent BACKUP program
>Date: 27 Nov 90 05:41:02 GMT
>
>From article <dfs.659634972@wesley>, by dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll):
>>
>> Anyone have any pointers to such a program?  Preferably public domain, as
>> I'm notoriously cheap. :-)
>>

>I was with you 100% until this point ^.  I own PCBACKUP as part of PCTools.
>It is available standalone too, now.  But it does everything you mentioned.
>Plus some.  I haven't had any problems with it.

Several posters have recomended FastBack Plus but I, like Greg, prefer the
PCBackup in PC Tools.  It's fast, it allows incremental backups onto the end
of the previous backup set, it has several types of compression, and it's
reliable.  I recently had to restore my hard disk about three times as I
was diagnosing and ultimately replacing my 80MB Seagate doorstop and never
had a single problem.

ralphs%halcyon.uucp@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (11/28/90)

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) writes:

> Several posters have recomended FastBack Plus but I, like Greg, prefer the
> PCBackup in PC Tools.  It's fast, it allows incremental backups onto the end
> of the previous backup set, it has several types of compression, and it's
> reliable.  I recently had to restore my hard disk about three times as I

If a marginally unacceptable disk is used with FASTBACK, one gets the
opportunity to insert a fresh disk and proceed with the backup.  I
don't remember PCBackup allowing me to do this.  With the cost of
quality backup software around US$150 (and having to contend with
subsequent upgades, floppies, etc.) a tape drive isn't a bad
alternative, at about twice that cost.

lalibert@bcarh188.bnr.ca (Luc Laliberte) (11/29/90)

PCTools v6 contains PCBackup v6 which is equivalent to the most recent
versions of Fastback or Norton Backup.  (They all look amazingly
similar.)  I use PCBackup and it does the following: asks me if I want
to overwrite a previous backup if I try to reuse disks, will not let me
overwrite the current backup,  if an error occurs, redo the disk.
PCTools also includes programs for general file and directory maintance,
defragmentation, and some file and disk recovery.  Considering the whole
package costs as much as the other backup programs alone....

charlie@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Charlie Duke) (12/01/90)

> > PCBackup in PC Tools.  It's fast, it allows incremental backups onto the end
> > of the previous backup set, it has several types of compression, and it's
> > reliable.  I recently had to restore my hard disk about three times as I
>
> If a marginally unacceptable disk is used with FASTBACK, one gets the
> opportunity to insert a fresh disk and proceed with the backup.  I
> don't remember PCBackup allowing me to do this.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   If I am not mistaken, PCBackup just skips bad tracks when it finds them, so
that you don't have to begin again at all.  In fact, if you are not quick, you
will never know it happened until it takes more disks than you though it should.

Charlie Duke

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (12/03/90)

In article <11510008@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> charlie@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Charlie Duke) writes:
> PCBackup in PC Tools.  It's fast, it allows incremental backups onto the end
   If I am not mistaken, PCBackup just skips bad tracks when it finds them, so
 >that you don't have to begin again at all.  In fact, if you are not quick, you
>will never know it happened until it takes more disks than you though it should.
>

>Charlie Duke

So That's what happens! I was severely bitten by PC-Backup 5.0. Then I
tried Norton's Backup, and it rejected several disks that PC-Backup was
using. Even though PC-Backup 6.0 has ECC, I've been wary of it because it
did not reject any diskettes - even known bad ones.

Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Patrick Draper              In times like these it is helpful to
buster.cps.msu.edu          remember that there have always been
                            times like these.

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) (12/05/90)

A while ago, I wrote asking for information on a public-domain MS-DOS
backup program.  Doesn't look like a good one exists.

I'd like to thank all those who mailed me information, as well as those who
posted.  Right now, it looks like I'll be investigating FastBack and PC-Tools.

Thanks again.