[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] New users' .zoo blues

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/06/90)

In article <43729@cci632.UUCP> pjb@ccird7.UUCP (Phil Busardo) writes:

>Would someone be kind enough to explain what a .ZOO file is what
>to do with it.
>
>New To The Net, no flames, just help.

   Since similar questions land too regularly on a moderator's desk
I'll post.  This is a exctract from /pc/ts/tsfaq14.arc (available by
anonymous ftp from uwasa.fi archives).  You also asked for no
flames.  I'll nevertheless give here pieces of friendly general
advice.
   When one is new to the net, one should first take some time to
scan the old news (in several groups) since many common questions
may have been recently answered.  Do this first, then ask.  I'm not
saying this for the current question in particular, rather in
general.
   Another piece of net lore.  When one poses a question, one ought
to use a descriptive subject.  Don't put in something like "help
needed" or "information requested".  It decreases your changes of
getting your message read.  (Also old hands sometimes forget this
basic tenet.)

13. *****
 Q1: What is this file with this .zip (.arc, .lzh, .pak. .zoo)
extension? What am I supposed to do to it?
 Q2: I can't run this file I got with a .zip extension.

 A: This is a total beginner's question, but never mind. One is
supposed to start from somewhere. These files with a .zip (.arc,
.lzh, .pak. .zoo) are compressed collections of files. You are not
supposed to run a compressed entity (often also called an archive).
You are supposed to unpack it first to extract the files from within
the package. For this you need the relevant (un)packing program. You
can find them in the /pc/pd2 and /pc/arcers directories at the
anonymous ftp site uwasa.fi, or at practically any fine bulletin
board. (After you have gotten them, they are very easy to process,
since most often these utilities are self-extracting). At the time
of writing this we have eg
  arc602.exe      SEA's packing/unpacking system.
  lh114b.exe      Dense compression from Japan, (hacked?) version
  lh113de.exe     Latest attested version for .lzh compression
  pak250.exe      NoGate (un)packing for .pak and .arc files
  pk361.exe       This packed and unpacked .arc files fast
  pkz110eu.exe    PKZIP/PKUNZIP "Euroversion" with no encryption
  zoo201.exe      Zoo packing/unpacking facility from Rahul Dhesi
Once you are well familiar with unpacking and packing, there is an
excellent shell for running these utilities. It is called SHEZ and
is in version /pc/pd2/shez59.zip at the time I wrote this item.
   Another advanced feature once you get the hang of this, is that
(most of) these are available in the Unix environment, as well. See
the /unix/ts directory at uwasa.fi for the Unix versions.

5. *****
 Q: How do I extract from comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings?

 A1: 1) One handy trick to download multi-part postings from the
binaries to your Unix host is the following.  Use rn (read news) to
store the posting in ~/News/Comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  (It must be
empty when you commence).  Then apply automatic combining and
uudecoding:
   combine Comp.binaries.ibm.pc
You will end up with the .zoo package on your Unix host.
 2) If you don't already have the combine program, you can create it
yourself:
   #! /bin/sh
   cat $* | sed '/^END/,/^BEGIN/d' | uudecode
(As posted e.g. by otto@jyu.fi there are even simpler alternatives
but also this does the trick).
Make the script executable by applying
   chmod u+x combine
 3) After you have the (.zoo) package on your Unix host, the rest is
what should be familiar routine. Transfer the package to your PC
remembering to use the binary option in the transfer (this goes at
least for Kermit and Z-Modem). Then extract the files from the
package by using ZOO or LOOZ for PCs. If you are not familiar with
these steps, and have problems, contact a knowledgeable PC friend
near you. (My PD2ANS.TXT instructions file has some more
information.)

 A2: Alternatively, stand by until the periodic posting of the
UseNet CBIP Starter's Kit in comp.binaries.ibm.pc. The kit (release
1.5) contains:
   Instructions
   BASIC source to create UUDECODE.COM
   DEBUG script to create UUDECODE.COM
   C source for UUDECODE
   LOOZ 2.12, ZOO extractor, in uuencoded form

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)