[net.games.trivia] The first bug.

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (11/02/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.games.trivia
>From : BERGIL::CLINE
Subject:  The first bug.

Captain Grace Hopper, USNR, coined the terms "bug" and "debug" in
the early 1940s.

The terms were born when Hopper was working with Harvard University's
Mark I Computer.  A moth had been beaten to death on one of the
Mark I's huge signal relays, causing it to shut down.  "We pulled it
out with tweezers and taped it to the log book," Hopper said later.
"From then on, when the officer came in to ask if we were accomplishing
anything, we told him we were 'debugging' the computer."

				Greg Cline

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!bergil!cline

 End Forwarded Message