[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] auto anon ftp?

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (12/04/90)

Running on a Unix SysV box, is there a way to automate an ftp
request so it can be done automatically?  Something like a
script file?
--

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.034528.10913@infonode.ingr.com>, fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

> Running on a Unix SysV box, is there a way to automate an ftp
> request so it can be done automatically?  Something like a
> script file?

I think this depends at least partially to the version of FTP you're using.
I'm able to do a more or less automatical file transfer using pipes.  This
particular version of FTP (on SunOS 3.?, I believe) doesn't recognize the
command `take' that I have on the PC, but it does have the `-i' switch
("turn off interactive prompting during multiple file transfers").

The one instance I'm thinking off was when I wanted several files from the
SIMTEL20 archives.  It was quite simple to edit (using `awk' at that time)
an FTP script (whith the proper `cd's', `bin's', and of course the ending
`bye'...) from the original list of files.  Usually it's easier to do a
`cd' than to have FTP's `glob' transform full path names...

..% ftp -i {server} < ftp.script

One more thing:  I don't know if the pipe works for username and password
prompting, so check out if your version of FTP recognizes the .netrc file
in your home directory.

Hope this helps some

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva CH

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/06/90)

Try this script.  It assumes you have an entry in your .netrc for the
host you are going to connect to.

ftp -v -i << \End >$HOME/getsim.log
open 26.2.0.74
case
nmap $1.$2.$3 $1.$2
lcd ~/xfer
cd pd1:[msdos.zmodem]
hash
type binary
mget dsz11*.zip
bye
End

echo GETSIM: Done

Be careful with mget.  You may get more files than you want.  It's
better to use a get and make several entries.  Notice the file names
are mapped from three-part to two-part to get riud of those annoying
file generation numbers.  They are also mapped to lower case.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/06/90)

>In article <1990Dec4.034528.10913@infonode.ingr.com>, fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:
>
> Running on a Unix SysV box, is there a way to automate an ftp
> request so it can be done automatically?  Something like a
> script file?

    Autoftp30 will do precisely that, very nicely.  Strangely, it's not
on simtel, but I'll mail it to anyone who asks.  More than 10 people asking
and I'll post it.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.080536.6523@demott.com> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>    Autoftp30 will do precisely that, very nicely.  Strangely, it's not
>on simtel, but I'll mail it to anyone who asks.  More than 10 people asking
>and I'll post it.

The more generic batchftp102.tar.Z can be found in the /unix/ts
directory at uwasa.fi archives.  Highly recomended.  (Autoftp can be
found in the /pc/unix directory).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/07/90)

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
> [...]
>    Autoftp30 will do precisely that, very nicely.  Strangely, it's not
>on simtel, but I'll mail it to anyone who asks.  More than 10 people asking
>and I'll post it.

AutoFTP and BatchFTP are BOTH available from SIMTEL20.  Look in the
pd1:<misc.unix> directory.  They are there, along with ARC, UNZIP,
COMPRESS, UUENCODE, UUDECODE, and RZSZ (ZModem) for Unix.

These files are all available via the BITNET mail servers as well as
FTP.

Keith