[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Removing non-DOS

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (12/05/90)

I have come in at the end of this discussion so I don't know who initiated it.
Could he/she post a summary please ?
I have had half a hard disc used by a now redundant XENIX partition that I
cannot remove.
Futhermore - it is possible to remove the XENIX partition and replace it
by a DOS logical drive without affecting the contents of the
original DOS partition ?

Thanks,

Henry.

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (12/07/90)

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:

>I have come in at the end of this discussion so I don't know who initiated it.
>Could he/she post a summary please ?
>I have had half a hard disc used by a now redundant XENIX partition that I
>cannot remove.
>Futhermore - it is possible to remove the XENIX partition and replace it
>by a DOS logical drive without affecting the contents of the
>original DOS partition ?

  Unfortunately, DOS Fdisk only looks at DOS partitions, so it is impossible
to remove a XENIX partition using DOS's Fdisk. It is possible to use XENIX's
FDisk to remove it. It has been quite sometime since I last had XENIX, as I
am now running UNIX; I think I recall the fdisk program being present in
the XENIX filesystem. If it isn't, simply boot with the Boot (N1) disk,
and pretend to do an install. When it gets to the partition menu, delete
the extra XENIX partition (make sure it is the right one!), go on to the next
menu and then reboot you machine right there. That should remove it.
  You should be able to add any other partitions to that area without
disrupting the others already present, assuming they are fussed with. You will
have to format it though (probably using xformat, depending on the DOS ver).

						e.b.

     "Round and round the while() loop goes;
           Whether it stops," Turing says, "nobody knows."