[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Why are postings NOT in shar form

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (12/03/90)

I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/04/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading

Yes, in fact you have missed the trick to handle the postings
without the need of any editing.  For more information see the
extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq14.arc below.

>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.

Not needed.

5. *****
 Q: How do I extract from comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings?

 A1: 1) One handy trick to download multi-part postings from the
binaries to your Unix host is the following.  Use rn (read news) to
store the posting in ~/News/Comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  (It must be
empty when you commence).  Then apply automatic combining and
uudecoding:
   combine Comp.binaries.ibm.pc
You will end up with the .zoo package on your Unix host.
 2) If you don't already have the combine program, you can create it
yourself:
   #! /bin/sh
   cat $* | sed '/^END/,/^BEGIN/d' | uudecode
Make the script executable by applying
   chmod u+x combine
 3) After you have the (.zoo) package on your Unix host, the rest is
what should be familiar routine. Transfer the package to your PC
remembering to use the binary option in the transfer (this goes at
least for Kermit and Z-Modem). Then extract the files from the
package by using ZOO or LOOZ for PCs. If you are not familiar with
these steps, and have problems, contact a knowledgeable PC friend
near you. (My PD2ANS.TXT instructions file has some more
information.)

 A2: Alternatively, stand by until the periodic posting of the
UseNet CBIP Starter's Kit in comp.binaries.ibm.pc. The kit (release
1.5) contains:
   Instructions
   BASIC source to create UUDECODE.COM
   DEBUG script to create UUDECODE.COM
   C source for UUDECODE
   LOOZ 2.12, ZOO extractor, in uuencoded form

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (12/04/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.

I greatly support this request!!

Rob.

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (12/04/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be>, jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) says:

>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
>--
>Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
>Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
>Brussels Belgium     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim

Actually, I am currently running from a PC but normally I access from
a VMS type machine.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (12/04/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
>--
First of all, they are generally too big to pass undigested through
some of the mail relays.  Second of all, Unix isn't universal -- I
used to get my news through PARTI on a Prime via BITNET.

If you're on a Unix box, I have a simple method for getting postings
saved in order:

1. Save each part in a different file, with a common stem -- e.g. if
foo.zoo gets posted in 5 parts, save foo1, foo2, foo3, foo4, foo5.

2. Run the following script over foo* :

#!/bin/sh
echo unpacking from $* to `grep begin $1`
cat $* | sed '/END--/,/BEGIN--/d' | uudecode

for example, if the above happens to be called unpack, then do

unpack foo*

If you have more than 10 parts, you have to be craftier, since the
wild card expansion in the shell will put the parts out of order,
since they get sorted in dictionary, rather than numeric, order, so
you have to do

unpack foo[0-9] foo1[0-9] foo2[0-9] etc. ...

--
             Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
"'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (12/05/90)

In article <3415@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
[Script to unpack stuff from c.b.i.p]
   #!/bin/sh
   echo unpacking from $* to `grep begin $1`
   cat $* | sed '/END--/,/BEGIN--/d' | uudecode

I already commented to ts@uwasa.fi about the same -- a simpler version is:
   sed '/END--/,/BEGIN--/d' $* | uudecode
Or are there versions of sed for which this doesn't work (perhaps SysV,
works on our SunOS 4.1) ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (12/05/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be>, jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> [...] Given that most (I assume) are reading
> and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
> files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.

I guess that "most" is not enough.  Unix provides serval simple means to
automate the extraction of zoo'ed, uuencoded, multiple-parts posting.
As this is c.b.IMP.PC, it is natural that the most effort is put towards
PC users (with the inherent limitations of MS-DOS...).

As an example: I read news on a VAX-VMS machine, (automatically) transfer
the uuendcoded parts to my PC and run Richard Marks' uudecode.  I do not
want to run some `unshar' for the PC, mind you.

But, there's good news:  If the latest version of R.M.'s uudecode becomes
the standard, then we could satisfy everybody:  according the the docs the
latest version can extract uuencoded data from a shar file!  (don't hold your
breath, though, this is probably not for tomorow...).

Markus Fischer, Dpt. of Anthropology, Geneva CH

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.131453.291@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
>
>Not needed.
>
>5. *****
> Q: How do I extract from comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings?
>
> A1: 1) One handy trick to download multi-part postings from the
>binaries to your Unix host is the following.  Use rn (read news) to
>store the posting in ~/News/Comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  (It must be
>empty when you commence).  Then apply automatic combining and
>uudecoding:
>   combine Comp.binaries.ibm.pc
>You will end up with the .zoo package on your Unix host.
> 2) If you don't already have the combine program, you can create it
>yourself:
>   #! /bin/sh
>   cat $* | sed '/^END/,/^BEGIN/d' | uudecode
>Make the script executable by applying
>   chmod u+x combine

1) this works ONLY on c.b.i.p, not other (un-)moderated groups.
2) you have to save the parts in th ecorrect sequence (they seldom arrive
	here in sequence)
3) all parts have to be present at the same time (this is not always the case)
4) there is no checking for correct size and sequences within uudecode,
	or the script above.

A shar *can* have the inteligence to cope with the obove points.
On the other hand, shars are like self extracting executables: dificult
to control (automatic processing) and full of RISKS...

Rob.
#---------------------------------------#       ______
# Rob Luursema,   BS-HW,  V1b2 ext 2246 #      /____ / organized
# Philips Information Systems Apeldoorn #     /____ / like the
# Domain:      robl@idca.tds.philips.nl #    /____ / tower of
# UUCP:           ..!hp4nl!philapd!robl #   /____ / pisa ...
#include <std/disclaimer>               #  /____ /
#---------------------------------------# ========
 A good workman is known by his tools

jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) (12/05/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
>--
>Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
>Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim
>Brussels Belgium     | OR {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim

In my case, I am using a PC to connect to a another computer to read
the postings here.  If I want to get a series of UUENCODED files, I
"print" them to my pc, but direct the output to a file by changing the
file name from prn to XXXX#.UUE where XXXX is a root name, # = 1,2,3,4
... (equal part# of ##). I then run a version of UUDECODE that was recently
posted as C:\>UUDECODE XXXX
This runs through all of the parts, ignoring all the mail headers and
footers and combines them into one XXXX.ZOO.  As you can see I do not
do any editing and to put them in a sh <file> would really mess me up
Since the postings are for a PC, they should be easily acessable on
a PC.

Joe White
DTRC Code 2723, Annapolis MD
jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (12/05/90)

It just *Might* have something to do with the fact that most of these
postings are destined for DOS machines.

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
Disclaimer:  Even I don't agree with myself!
Please send me mail so I can send you mail so you can send me mail so ...

mbn@fpssun.fps.com (Mike Northam ext 2651) (12/06/90)

In article <3415@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu.UUCP (Kent Williams) writes:
[munch]

| 1. Save each part in a different file, with a common stem -- e.g. if
| foo.zoo gets posted in 5 parts, save foo1, foo2, foo3, foo4, foo5.
|
| 2. Run the following script over foo* :
|
| #!/bin/sh
| echo unpacking from $* to `grep begin $1`
| cat $* | sed '/END--/,/BEGIN--/d' | uudecode
|
| for example, if the above happens to be called unpack, then do
|
| unpack foo*
|
| If you have more than 10 parts, you have to be craftier, since the
| wild card expansion in the shell will put the parts out of order,
| since they get sorted in dictionary, rather than numeric, order, so
| you have to do
|
| unpack foo[0-9] foo1[0-9] foo2[0-9] etc. ...

If you save into filenames foo01 ... foo10 foo11, etc., you can just say
  unpack foo*
as the sorting order will be correct.

--
Mike Northam             mbn@fpssun.fps.com     Home:123 11' 40"W   45 37' 14"N
(503) 641-3151 x2651     {tektronix}!fpssun!mbn

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (12/06/90)

In article <3415@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
|> In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
|> >I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
|> >all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
|> >remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
|> >and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
|> >files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.
|> >--
|> First of all, they are generally too big to pass undigested through
|> some of the mail relays.  Second of all, Unix isn't universal -- I
|> used to get my news through PARTI on a Prime via BITNET.
|>
|> If you're on a Unix box, I have a simple method for getting postings
|> saved in order:
|>
|> 1. Save each part in a different file, with a common stem -- e.g. if
|> foo.zoo gets posted in 5 parts, save foo1, foo2, foo3, foo4, foo5.
|>
|> 2. Run the following script over foo* :
|>
|> #!/bin/sh
|> echo unpacking from $* to `grep begin $1`
|> cat $* | sed '/END--/,/BEGIN--/d' | uudecode
|>
|> for example, if the above happens to be called unpack, then do
|>
|> unpack foo*
|>
|> If you have more than 10 parts, you have to be craftier, since the
|> wild card expansion in the shell will put the parts out of order,
|> since they get sorted in dictionary, rather than numeric, order, so
|> you have to do
|>
|> unpack foo[0-9] foo1[0-9] foo2[0-9] etc. ...

or save as foo01, foo02, foo03, ..., foo09, foo10, ...

|> --
|>              Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
|> "'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"
|> "This isn't heaven, ... this is Cleveland" - Harry Allard, in "The Stupids Die"

--

Jody Hagins
hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com
Data General Corp.
62 Alexander Dr.
RTP, N.C.  27709
(919) 248-6035

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/06/90)

In article <1066@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) writes:
>In article <1990Dec4.131453.291@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
... part deleted ...
>> Q: How do I extract from comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings?
... the instructions deleted since they are in another posting ...

>1) this works ONLY on c.b.i.p, not other (un-)moderated groups.

Quite true, but it is c.b.i.p that is essential in here.

>2) you have to save the parts in th ecorrect sequence (they seldom arrive
>	here in sequence)

Also true, but this is easy to work out since the sequence is shown
in the headers.  Just use the rn s option in the order show by the
headers.

>3) all parts have to be present at the same time (this is not always the case)

Yes and no.  They need not be present in the news at the same time.
But you naturally have to gather all parts in the auxiliary download
file.

>4) there is no checking for correct size and sequences within uudecode,
>	or the script above.

True again, but you can easily attest the result by applying
  zoo -test whatever.zoo
immediately after running the combine script.

In summary, I agree with these problems, but each can be solved
fairly easily and logically.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (12/06/90)

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) writes:

> In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:

> >I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
> >all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to

> I greatly support this request!!

Am I missing something?  If the posts are getting read on a unix, etc.
machine, then saving the parts to discrete files named part1.uue, part2.uue,
etc. and then downloading them to the PC (since these are to be used on PC's
under MS-DOS and not unix, etc, right?) and then using uuexe413 or something
similiar THAT IGNORES HEADERS, TRAILERS, ETC. to place in the orginal format
would seem the way to go.

In article <11180@sns4.fps.com> mbn@fpssun.fps.com (Mike Northam ext 2651) writes:

| | If you have more than 10 parts, you have to be craftier, since the
| | wild card expansion in the shell will put the parts out of order,
| | since they get sorted in dictionary, rather than numeric, order, so
| | you have to do
| |
| | unpack foo[0-9] foo1[0-9] foo2[0-9] etc. ...
| |
| If you save into filenames foo01 ... foo10 foo11, etc., you can just say
|   unpack foo*
| as the sorting order will be correct.

  Why... you could even *use* the archive name in the header field!
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.120318.335@sc2a.unige.ch> fisher@sc2a.unige.ch writes:
>But, there's good news:  If the latest version of R.M.'s uudecode becomes
>the standard, then we could satisfy everybody:  according the the docs the
>latest version can extract uuencoded data from a shar file!  (don't hold your
>breath, though, this is probably not for tomorow...).

Richard Marks' uudecode won't become a standard until he releases some
portable C code for it so it can be used on a lot of different
systems.  I asked him to do this over a year ago but so far only
MS-DOS versions without source have been released.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/07/90)

In article <1717@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I may have missed something a long while back but it seems odd that
>all the binary postings in this group seem to require editing to
>remove the headers/etc.  Given that most (I assume) are reading
>and posting news from *NIX type machines, why don't the uuencoded
>files get wrapped up so a simple sh <file> will expose them.

Not all of us read news on UNIX systems. There are several other news readers
around. We don't all have access to a UNIX system for unshar'ing, and
the various unshar programs, although useful, quite often break on some
new shar variant.

Let's keep things as they are, PLEASE.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury