[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problem in FTP to SIMTEL20

rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) (12/04/90)

I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
or it is just my bad luck?

Roger
rss@doe.carleton.ca

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.185304.15943@ccs.carleton.ca>, rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes...
>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>or it is just my bad luck?
>
>Roger
>rss@doe.carleton.ca

Nah....me tooo same prob.

st

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (12/04/90)

rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes:

>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>or it is just my bad luck?

Network problems.  Here's a message from Keith (apologies if Keith
has already posted a reply...if so, it hasn't gotten to THIS site yet):

>Greg, the core gateways are sick.  SIMTEL20 has been up, but
>unreachable from the NSFNET side.

Give 'em some time, and maybe check out wuarchive or some other mirror
if you don't need something that was posted in the last couple days.

Greg

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (12/04/90)

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:

>In article <1990Dec3.185304.15943@ccs.carleton.ca>, rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes...
>>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>>or it is just my bad luck?
>>
>>Roger
>>rss@doe.carleton.ca

>Nah....me tooo same prob.

Me too.  What's going on?

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (12/04/90)

You're not the only one ... I've been having the same problem.

      __________                                          ___
     /          \                                    /   /    /_/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                                 __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                        Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412  BITnet:   jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213  UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.
                          Carnegie Mellon University

 "If you don't like having backups ... try driving without your spare tire."
Disclaimer:     The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.185304.15943@ccs.carleton.ca> rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes:
>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>or it is just my bad luck?

I have tried to check Simtel20 with ping from our site, and have an
autoftp running which also gives me some indication of the Simtel20
status.  It seems that Simtel20 has been unreachable for the last
three days, at least from my corner of the net.  Just stand
patiently by.  Connection problems or maintanence occasionally occur
at all sites.  (We've certainly have had our share at uwasa.fi of
downs.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/05/90)

SIMTEL20 has not been down.  The problem is with the mailbridges which
connect the Milnet to the rest of the Internet.  There is nothing
SIMTEL20 can do about this.  Please ask your host administrator to
file a formal trouble report.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/05/90)

In article <48973@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <1990Dec3.185304.15943@ccs.carleton.ca>, rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes...
>>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>>or it is just my bad luck?
>>
>>Roger
>>rss@doe.carleton.ca

Try the simtel mirror site wuarchive.wustl.edu. The simtel stuff is under
"mirrors".

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

david@slc9 (David Nerenberg) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec3.185304.15943@ccs.carleton.ca> rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) writes:
>I used to be able to ftp to simtel 20 with problem. But for the
>past week or so, whenever I ftp to simtel 20, it keeps saying
>'connection timed out'. Does anyone out there have the same problem
>or it is just my bad luck?
>
>Roger
>rss@doe.carleton.ca

I have been getting this too, ever since last Friday (11/30).  I have autoftp
running and it get a valid connection every now and then, but most of the
time, it get either invalid connectios or Silenced connections.  If you are
also getting these errors, this is not a site isolated problem.

							Dave

--
david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services

frankel@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Adam Frankel) (12/05/90)

No one at u Hawaii seems to be able to hit simtel20.  the consultants here say
its a problem on simtel20's end.  I don't know for sure myself.
However, if anyone CAN ftp to simtel20, I would like to get APL2PC.ZIP.
If anyone could grab it and send it to me, I would be appreciative.
thanks in advance, Adam

ken@gtenmc.UUCP (Ken Swapp) (12/08/90)

I don't have ftp capability, but do use a server.
Lately the number of jobs in the queue ahead of me
has been growing, reaching 900+.  For large files,
this delay is unacceptable to the server, and it
eventually tells me SIMTEL took too long.
Smaller files do arrive, eventually.

Does anybody know what the problems are?
Is it just high usage?  Is it because colleges
have been in session, or will it be like this
from now on?

Thanks,