[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Kermit Tek401? Emulation Help

krawchuk@cpsc.UCalgary.ca (Bj Krawchuk) (12/10/90)

Well, tonight I tried to figure out how to use the
MS-Kermit 3.00 Tek4010 emulation on my Olivetti M24 (like AT&T 6300).
Although it didn't work very well at first, (no destructive
backspacing etc...) I found that downloading
MS-Kermit 3.01 helped a bit. (My host computer is a Sun Unix based.)

Really the only reason why I want this is so that I can use the ATT
50 line mode instead of being stuck with 24 lines, particularly for
use in Emacs.

I think I need the following:
	1. A termcap entry for tek4010 that works! (At least with Gnu-emacs)
	2. A way to get a cursor! No matter what I do, the cursor in
	   this mode is always absent. That makes editing hard...

Can someone help me out, please? Or do I need to sign up on the
Info-Kermit mailing list...

(I'd be willing to move to a different terminal emulation package to
get 50 lines, if there are no kermit solutions to this...)
--
	Bj

Brent J. Krawchuk 		Knowledge Sciences Laboratory
krawchuk@cpsc.ucalgary.ca	University of Calgary
				2500 University Drive NW
				Calgary, AB, Canada  T2N 1N4
There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.  -- Dali

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (12/11/90)

In <KRAWCHUK.90Dec9235511@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.UCalgary.ca> krawchuk@cpsc.UCalgary.ca (Bj Krawchuk) writes:

>Well, tonight I tried to figure out how to use the
>MS-Kermit 3.00 Tek4010 emulation on my Olivetti M24 (like AT&T 6300).
>Although it didn't work very well at first, (no destructive
>backspacing etc...) I found that downloading
>MS-Kermit 3.01 helped a bit. (My host computer is a Sun Unix based.)

>Really the only reason why I want this is so that I can use the ATT
>50 line mode instead of being stuck with 24 lines, particularly for
>use in Emacs.

Don't use Tek mode.  Use a VT??? emulation.  The Tek 40??s are storage
tube terminals, aren't they?  They lack all the normal stuff because
of the nature of storage tubes.  Kermit will use 50 line mode in VT???
emulations.  All you have to do is get into that mode before entering
kermit, and it adjusts automagically.  Or at least it does for
``normal'' systems, ie IBM clones with [EV]GA.  I don't really know
about your system.  If your system is not ``normal'' enough, there may
be a setting that will allow 50 line mode.  Check the manual.
--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)