[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problem with stevie

brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) (12/11/90)

I am having trouble getting stevie to read the exinit environment
variable and initialize certain settings on startup. Does anyone
have a solution for this? The manual page indicates that I should be
able to initialize certain things (se nu, for example) via this
variable but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Thanks in advance,
-Graham

msagen@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Morgen) (12/12/90)

brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU once said...
>I am having trouble getting stevie to read the exinit environment
>variable and initialize certain settings on startup. Does anyone
>have a solution for this? The manual page indicates that I should be
>able to initialize certain things (se nu, for example) via this
>variable but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Had the same problem.  Probably not what you want to hear, but you can
edit the source (available at wuarchive.wustl.edu /mirrors/msdos/editor as
stevi69s.zip -- and probably available other places as well), hard-code
the "set" variables, and recompile.  Kind of a pain, but it gets the job
done.

--

Morgen Sagen  --  msagen@polyslo.calpoly.edu

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/12/90)

brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Graham Brand) writes:

> I am having trouble getting stevie to read the exinit environment
> variable and initialize certain settings on startup. Does anyone
> have a solution for this? The manual page indicates that I should be
> able to initialize certain things (se nu, for example) via this
> variable but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Try including the 'set' command in the environment string. I had similar
problems until I looked over the source closely. My stevie will also
react to a LINES= statement in the environment, and simply set the
default number of lines. (why? I used the same binary on my bbs and my
main machine... )
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

bowles@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Eric E. Bowles) (12/12/90)

In article <2765a01b.3522@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> msagen@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
(Morgen) writes:
>brand@janus.Berkeley.EDU once said...
>>I am having trouble getting stevie to read the exinit environment
>>variable and initialize certain settings on startup. Does anyone
>>have a solution for this? The manual page indicates that I should be
>>able to initialize certain things (se nu, for example) via this
>>variable but I haven't been able to get it to work.
>
>Had the same problem.  Probably not what you want to hear, but you can
>edit the source (available at wuarchive.wustl.edu /mirrors/msdos/editor as
>stevi69s.zip -- and probably available other places as well), hard-code
>the "set" variables, and recompile.  Kind of a pain, but it gets the job
>done.

You might want to check out Jstevie 1.3, which is a derivative of Stevie
version 3.69.  It has extensions too numerous to mention here, and supports
OS/2 as well.

It is available for FTP from utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (133.11.11.11) in the
directory fj/jstevie1.3.

By the way, if you want to edit Japanese, then Jstevie supports it too.
(You need a front-end processor (FEP) and fonts for your machine, though).

Eric Edward Bowles              Dept of Information Science, Faculty of Science
                                University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
bowles@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp       Tokyo, JAPAN 113.     +81-3-812-2111 x4096