[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 1.44Meg Controller Probs

klingler@triton.unm.edu (David Klingler) (12/12/90)

Does there exist a floppy controller that will toggle the "reduced write" line
(pin 2 on the floppy drive connector) to go from 720k to 1.44m modes instead
of relying on the high density notch sensor that is in the drive?  I have a
Toshiba ND3561 Which can be jumper selected to work this way.  This will be
for an old "pre 3 1/2 inch compatible" 286 machine that has trouble with this
media anyway, so I'm looking for a controller with a built in ROM drivers.

If anybody knows of one that can do this, I would like to know where I can
buy one.

feg@moss.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke,2C-119,7239,ATTBL) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec12.063527.26176@ariel.unm.edu> klingler@triton.unm.edu (David Klingler) writes:
>Does there exist a floppy controller that will toggle the "reduced write" line
>(pin 2 on the floppy drive connector) to go from 720k to 1.44m modes instead
>of relying on the high density notch sensor that is in the drive?  I have a
>Toshiba ND3561 Which can be jumper selected to work this way.  This will be
>for an old "pre 3 1/2 inch compatible" 286 machine that has trouble with this
>media anyway, so I'm looking for a controller with a built in ROM drivers.

All the 3.5" drives I have seen have two rows of pins on the back
of the drive for Drive Select and also to turn off the notch sensor.
This is jumper selectable, same as Drive Select.  Once so jumpered,
720kb and 1.44MB formatting is now software selectable.  I understand
IBM PS/2 machines are always set up this way, but I have no experience
with this.

Forrest Gehrke feg@dodger.att.com

  This discussion does not relate to binaries in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
Please move the discussion to another group where it is appropriate
and will get a better readership.

Suggested groups:

  comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
  comp.os.msdos.misc
  comp.os.msdos.apps
  comp.os.msdos.programmer
  comp.windows.ms

  This is not a flame, it is a polite request from the moderator of
c.b.i.p. Let's try to keep c.b.i.p.d on topic.

	Thanks.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX