[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] New anti-virals from McAfee's BBS uploaded to SIMTEL20

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/02/90)

The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

) (12/05/90)

In article <W8SDZ.12642418233.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
> The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
> McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:
>
> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
> CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
> NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
> SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
> VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
> VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program
Can someone please either upload these files to wuarchive or to c.b.i.p since
there's trouble with connecting to Simtel20?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

In article <11689.275cecfb@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
| In article <W8SDZ.12642418233.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
| > The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
| > McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:

| Can someone please either upload these files to wuarchive or to c.b.i.p since
| there's trouble with connecting to Simtel20?

  They have not been uploaded to the mirror sites, and if I could have
gotten on simtel20 you would be reading the postings now. I'm working on
it... please don't post this to me, I only get these from trusted
sources (meaning I ask rather than you send).
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) (12/06/90)

I have a copy of the following programs : cleanp71.zip, scanv71.zip and
vshld71.zip. I got them from SIMTEL20 ( I was using batchftp).
I don't know how to upload programs to wuarchive or c.b.i.p.
If someone send me the procedure, I will try to upload them to either
wuarchive or c.b.i.p.

Roger
rss@doe.carleton.ca

wjin@viking.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (12/06/90)

In article <W8SDZ.12642418233.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
> The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
> McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:
>
> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
> CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
> NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
> SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
> VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
> VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program

How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?

-------
W. Jin

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/06/90)

:
>> CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
>> NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
>> SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
>> VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
>> VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program
>Can someone please either upload these files to wuarchive or to c.b.i.p since
>there's trouble with connecting to Simtel20?
:

With the exception of validate.crc (which we are trying to get at
the moment) the programs are also at uwasa.fi archives in the
/pc/virus directory.

Recall, however, that whenever possible first look at sites near you
where you don't have to load the overseas link.  And if you download
files from uwasa.fi (or any site for that matter), the preferred
method is batchftp, which automates getting the files.  It is more
efficient (and convenient) than the ordinary "manual" ftp.  As to
mail server, use it only if you have no other means getting your
essential files, since it causes stress both on our machine, and the
net connections!  And if you absolutely must use the mail server,
please try to get your request right.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dick Reichenbach) (12/06/90)

On a related note, the milnet gateway seems to be working now.  I successfully
downloaded Cleanp71 and Scanv71 last night.
As usual it was as slow as a molassas in January.
It took over 11 minutes to download the files (only about 100,000 bytes).
I could have downloaded them in about 30 seconds if they were at wuarchive.
wustl.edu

OH well - sigh

--
  DDDDDD             k                | reich@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
  D     D  `   cccc  k  kk   (^8      | Dick C. Reichenbach

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.082850.27365@menudo.uh.edu> you write:
>In article <W8SDZ.12642418233.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>> The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>> CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
>> NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
>> SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
>> VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
>> VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program
>
>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?

While safeguards have been taken to prevent this eventuality, the bottom
line is that you don't.  Personally, I believe that the files (which were
taken directly from the McAfee's BBS) are clean but the probability that
the files are not infected is not zero.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: Re: New anti-virals from McAfee's BBS uploaded to SIMTEL20
In article <1990Dec6.082850.27365@menudo.uh.edu> you write:
>In article <W8SDZ.12642418233.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>> The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> McAfee's BBS and are now available on SIMTEL20:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>> CLEANP71.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
>> NETSCN71.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 157 viruses, v71
>> SCANV71.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
>> VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS; CRC validation list of pgms
>> VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program
>
>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?

While safeguards have been taken to prevent this eventuality, the bottom
line is that you don't.  Personally, I believe that the files (which were
taken directly from the McAfee's BBS) are clean but the probability that
the files are not infected is not one.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Keith Petersen") (12/07/90)

The following new anti-virus files were obtained directly from McAfee's
Homebase BBS at (408) 988-4004 and are now available on SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
CLEAN71B.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
SCANV71B.ZIP    VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS: CRC validation list of pgms
VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program

I have also posted the ZIP files to Usenet's comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Here is an excerpt from the doc file:

WHAT'S NEW

        Version 71-B of SCAN fixes a problem with version 71 in
identifying viruses imbedded in files with non-executable
extensions.

        Version numbers 68 through 70 were skipped because of the
appearance of trojan version 70 of SCAN in Israel.  Rather than use
the next number in the series we are skipping to version 71.

        Version 71 of SCAN now includes an option that allows users
to scan for new viruses by adding their own set of search strings
loaded from an external virus data file.   When this /EXT option
is enabled, a user-specified set of scan strings will be scanned
for by the VIRUSCAN program.

        We have also removed the extinct viruses from their extinct
category.  The extinct category was less than enthusiastically
received by our users who relied on SCAN shell routines written by
third party authors.  We will wait until these shell routines can
handle the additional /X switch before we place these viruses back
into the extinct category.

        Version 71 of VIRUSCAN adds sixteen new viruses, bringing
the total number of known computer viruses to 160, and known
variants to 239.

[end excerpt]

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/07/90)

wjin@viking.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes about my posting announcing
new anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20:

>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?

The ZIP files were NOT repacked.  They appear on SIMTEL20 *exactly* as
they appear on the author's BBS.  What more do you want?  I took the
time and effort to download them from the Homebase (author's) BBS so
net users could get them from SIMTEL20.  I have also posted them to
Usenet's comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

If you don't trust me, download them from Homebase yourself!
The phone number is in the doc file.

Keith
--
Uucp: uunet!umich!vela!w8sdz                          BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.082850.27365@menudo.uh.edu> wjin@viking.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes:

>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?

In absolute terms you don't know, but the risk is small since
usually these originate from McAfee's bulletin board.

16. *****
 Q: Am I safe against viruses if download files from FTP sites?

 A: I'll give some information on this from an FTP moderator's point
of view. The official stand is the following directly from one of
our file lists:
   No liability is accepted for the consequences of using,
   or the inability to use, any of these files.  No absolute
   guarantees are given that these programs are clean from
   nasties, although none have been in evidence.  Please duly
   observe shareware rules wherever indicated.
But remember that there are no absolute guarantees _whatever_ your
sources are. There have even been cases of contaminated commercial
products. So the safety factor will never be a 100 per cent whether
you keep on downloading from ftp sites or not. At worst you can even
catch a virus if you buy a new machine (this has been known to
happen). On the other hand, the scare should not be exaggerated.
   It is certainly a good idea to employ two or three good virus
testers / protectors such as McAfee's /pc/pd2/scanv71.zip and
/pc/virus/fprot113.zip by Fridrik Skulason (or whatever are the
latest version numbers). I have one small additional trick up in my
sleeve. Put my dtetimal.exe in your autoexec.bat. If dtetimal gets
contaminated, it will loudly inform you of the fact. Dtetimal is
part of my /pc/ts/tsutil30.arc (or later) package at uwasa.fi
archives. Also use /pc/pd2/chksum.zip to always check at least your
io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com at boot time. You then have a
better chance of being alerted if you use these measures.

In article <4142@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>wjin@viking.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes about my posting announcing
>new anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>
>>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?
>
>The ZIP files were NOT repacked.  They appear on SIMTEL20 *exactly* as
>they appear on the author's BBS.  What more do you want?  I took the
>time and effort to download them from the Homebase (author's) BBS so
>net users could get them from SIMTEL20.  I have also posted them to
>Usenet's comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
>
>If you don't trust me, download them from Homebase yourself!
>The phone number is in the doc file.
>
>Keith
>--
>Keith Petersen

Well, I, for one, am very grateful that you did do so.  Thank you.

wjin@csuna.cs.uh.edu (Woochang Jin) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.200629.11272@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>In article <4142@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>wjin@viking.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes about my posting announcing
>>new anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>>
>>>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?
>>
>>The ZIP files were NOT repacked.  They appear on SIMTEL20 *exactly* as
>>they appear on the author's BBS.  What more do you want?  I took the
>>time and effort to download them from the Homebase (author's) BBS so
>>net users could get them from SIMTEL20.  I have also posted them to
>>Usenet's comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
>>
>>If you don't trust me, download them from Homebase yourself!
>>The phone number is in the doc file.
>>
>>Keith
>>--
>>Keith Petersen
>
>Well, I, for one, am very grateful that you did do so.  Thank you.

Well, my intention was not personal.
I have never used any anti-virals because I normally believe others and
I don't have such important data in my disk and the disk size is only
40 M. I don't know whether I am infected or not but I think I am O.K.
(at least for two years)
Since many kinds of anti-virals are ubiquitous, I was just curious.
Again, I did not mean that Keith was suspicious or something like that.
I should have asked :
  Suppose you want to be 100 % safe. Can you do it by using anti-virals
  not knowing that they are safe ?
Sorry,  if I causea a problem.

-------
W. Jin

kforward@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Kenneth Forward, OSC/NICOS, x3000) (12/07/90)

--

These and other antiviral programs are available via anon ftp from
mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu (130.160.20.80).

Cheers,
  Kenneth Forward               |  " Don't plant your bad days,
  kforward@kean.ucs.mun.ca      |    they grow into weeks... "
                                |                 -Tom Waits-

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/07/90)

In article <4142@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>wjin@viking.UUCP (Woochang Jin) writes about my posting announcing
>new anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>
>>How do I know whether these anti-virals themselves may be infected or not ?
>
>The ZIP files were NOT repacked.  They appear on SIMTEL20 *exactly* as
>they appear on the author's BBS.  What more do you want?  I took the
:
>If you don't trust me, download them from Homebase yourself!
:
>Keith

   Let's not get upset.  I am positive that there was nothing
personal in the original question.  The point is that can be trust
even ourselves or rather our procedures.  We certainly do your best,
but we cannot give absolute 100% guarantees, only our very best
moderators' shots.
   FYI.  Our files at uwasa.fi come from various sources, but in the
case of highly sensitive files like scanv71.zip I prefer to get them
from Simtel20.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

jgriffin@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jon Griffin) (12/08/90)

In article <1525.w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Keith Petersen") writes:

>pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>CLEAN71B.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
>SCANV71B.ZIP    VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
>VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS: CRC validation list of pgms
>VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program

Some files, such as SCANVxxx.ZIP get updated so often as to be a problem just
keeping up with the current name.  Is it possible to always name these files
the same name?  SCANVxxx.ZIP could always be SCANV.ZIP and the version number
could be in the comments field.  This way those of us who use autoftp would
be able to get the file the first time.  Now we autoftp a name only to find
out later the name doesn't exist.  Then we autoftp the simibm.arc to find the
current name and finally we autoftp the current name.

Jon

This article is published with everyone in mind.  As some people enjoy finding
fault with other's work, intentional errors have been placed throughout the
article for their enjoyment.

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/08/90)

griffin@eecs.UUCP (Jon Griffin) writes:
>w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Keith Petersen") writes:
>>pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>>CLEAN71B.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
>>SCANV71B.ZIP    VirusScan, scans disk files for 160 viruses
>>VALIDATE.CRC    From McAfee BBS: CRC validation list of pgms
>>VSHLD71.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program
>
>Some files, such as SCANVxxx.ZIP get updated so often as to be a problem just
>keeping up with the current name.  Is it possible to always name these files
>the same name?

No, I've tried that with other files and I received numerous
complaints from users who say they don't know when a new version has
been uploaded.  There have been problems with the LISTERV and TRICKLE
servers not replacing old versions with newer versions of the same
name.  I received one complaint about a file that was over a year out
of date on the servers.  It seems they missed the update during an
extended network outage.

The anti-virus programs get updated by the author about once per
month.  This last update was a bug fix, so there was a rapid change
in the files within a few days.  That is not the normal situation.

If you have questions or suggestions about SIMTEL20 please send them
to me at one of the addresses below.  There are usually good reasons
for the way we do things at SIMTEL20.  Ask before posting in a public
forum.  It saves a lot of bandwidth.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!umich!vela!w8sdz                          BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (12/08/90)

I prefer the present style of naming the anti-virus software.  I would
never know which version the program is until it's too late and I've down-
loaded it.  Quite often, an index at a public ftp site has only a directory
listing, without any comments at all.  It would quickly become too confusing
and difficult to find.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

adlacy@vax1.tcd.ie (12/10/90)

Please note that McAfee's Scan and Clean programs (and, I think VSHIELD)
all first check THEMSELVES for contamination, and will report if they are
contaminated.
--

                                 cheers, Andy!
Andrew Lacy, C.Eng. Ugrad.      |   adlacy@vax1.tcd.ie   (preferred address)

couric@mcgp1.UUCP (Carl Couric) (12/15/90)

I got the clean71b program. Could someone please mail me the SCAN71 part?

Thanks in advance,
Carl Couric
Florida Cellular One.