[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ftp location of conquest

steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) (12/12/90)

G'Day All:

For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
"conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
in   pc/games
(has been there since september and I have received no complaints :-)

It is also available from the uwasa mirrors, for example:
"sol.deakin.oz.au"  in   pub/PC/chyde/games
(there should be a uwasa mirror in the US or Canada ?)

I can not simply send you part 1 because Bill Davidsen (the
c.b.i.p moderator) repacked the programs!  Bill may (re)send part 1
at some time in the future :-)

cheers,   Stephen Peter                     steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au
          School of Architecture
          University of New South Wales
          Australia

In article <991@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:

| For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
| "conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
| in   pc/games
| (has been there since september and I have received no complaints :-)

  I certainly don't understand this... it has been posted twice and has
made it to sites in such mainstream places as Iceland and Tarpit,
Wyoming. I'm at aloss to understand why some sites aren't getting it.
However, I'm not about to post it again, I want to get caught up for the
holidays.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (12/15/90)

In article <2591@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <991@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:
>
>| For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
>| "conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
>| in   pc/games
>| (has been there since september and I have received no complaints :-)
>
>  I certainly don't understand this... it has been posted twice and has
>made it to sites in such mainstream places as Iceland and Tarpit,

Correction, (at least for this site here in Iceland)
This site received only one copy of part 1 of conquest last night (the night
between 14. and 15. of december 1990) among part 2 and 3.

We have not received more than one copy of part 1 of conquest.

However, we did get *two* copies of part two a few weeks(?) back among with
one copy of part three.  But we didn't get part 1 then.

--
Internet:    einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and drag
UUCP:    ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs to the waste basket!!!!"

General Surgeons warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (12/17/90)

In article <2591@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <991@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:
>
> | For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
> | "conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
> | in   pc/games
> | (has been there since september and I have received no complaints :-)
>
>   I certainly don't understand this... it has been posted twice and has
> made it to sites in such mainstream places as Iceland and Tarpit,
> Wyoming. I'm at aloss to understand why some sites aren't getting it.
> However, I'm not about to post it again, I want to get caught up for the
> holidays.
> --
> bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
>     sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

For what it's worth, it just arrived on our machine today.

John Garland

jgarland@mun                bitnet
jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca    internet

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (12/18/90)

In article <2591@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> However, I'm not about to post it again, I want to get caught up for the
> holidays.

Bill, I'm inquiring because I'm ignorant, not to express any
dissatisfaction.  Your service is a wonderful boon.

It would seem like posting it again would be about three times
as much work as posting the article that triggers my questions.
How would doing so interfere with getting caught up?  Do you
ration the c.b.i.p load on the network and posting x means there
is no room to post y?  Do you file things away in an archive
after they are posted and it is a nuisance to go back and find
one?  Do you keep records of your activities that become onerous
to maintain when you are reposting something?

I have been watching what becomes visible from your work and that
of some other moderators and trying to understand the job of
moderating a news group.  Your remark quoted above makes me
suspect that a quarter of what I thought I knew ain't so.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com