[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Mouse problems with conquest

jackson@csvax.seas.smu.edu (Keith Jackson) (12/13/90)

In article <991@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:
>For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
>"conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
>in   pc/games

I got it.  Now I have a problem with the mouse.  I have a 3-button Genius
mouse and I am using the gmouse.com which came with it.  It's supposed to
be Logitech compatible, but I have my doubts.  For some reason the cursor
is displayed as two parallel rectangles which, when moved are not replaced
by the original background, but color the screen.  In addition, these
rectangles are confined to alternating strips on the screen (the same width
as these rectangles).  I suspect that the program uses interrupts which are
supposed to work for all mice, but for some reason my mouse driver has a
problem with them.  It works fine for Windows, Word, TC++, and several
other programs, but not for this one.  I had the same problem when I tried
unsucessfully to write my own program using the mouse.

Anyone else have the same problem?  Anyone have a solution?  Please email
and I will post a summary.

Tanx.
	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Keith Jackson {convex, texsun}!smu!jackson == jackson@csvax.seas.smu.edu

		U N * X : L i v e  F r e e  o r  D i e

nbladt@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) (12/18/90)

jackson@csvax.seas.smu.edu (Keith Jackson) writes:

>In article <991@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:
>>For those who did not receive part 1 of conquest (did anyboday get it ??)
>>"conquest.zip" is available for anonymous ftp from "chyde.uwasa.fi"
>>in   pc/games

>I got it.  Now I have a problem with the mouse.  I have a 3-button Genius
>mouse and I am using the gmouse.com which came with it.  It's supposed to
>be Logitech compatible, but I have my doubts.  For some reason the cursor
>is displayed as two parallel rectangles which, when moved are not replaced
>by the original background, but color the screen.  In addition, these
>rectangles are confined to alternating strips on the screen (the same width
>as these rectangles).  I suspect that the program uses interrupts which are
>supposed to work for all mice, but for some reason my mouse driver has a
>problem with them.  It works fine for Windows, Word, TC++, and several
>other programs, but not for this one.  I had the same problem when I tried
>unsucessfully to write my own program using the mouse.

>Anyone else have the same problem?  Anyone have a solution?  Please email
>and I will post a summary.
Buy another mouse or update the driver. I had the same problem and I bought
a very cheap MS-compatible mouse, i.e. now I can use the MS mouse driver
which comes with MS-Word, MS-C, MS-xxyyzz-ware, etc. without any problem.
I have used the driver version 7.02 which doesn't support VGA at all,
version 8.04 which does, but shows exactly the problem you mentioned.
On my monochrome VGA monitor it overwrote all colours with (what seemed
to be) black and white. The difference to the usage of the mouse between
games and text-oriented programs (TC++, Word) is the graphic mode used by
the games ! And in the graphic modes which the programs I wrote use, it shows
the above mentioned results (b&w).

MS-Windows doesn't count as graphic in that sense, because it has its own
mouse drivers and doesn't use any of the drivers which came with the mice.
Guess, why ! Instead MS-Windows is reading the serial line, I would guess.

I think, you will need at least mouse driver 9.06 (or later). Genius has
a BBS in the states, but it's too expensive for me to call it from Switzerland
to download a mouse driver. It would cost more than to buy a cheap
MS-compatible mouse here, which I did. This is not ideal, because
I have now two mice at home. I don't want to sell the Genius mouse to
anyone I would like to know longer than for half a year !

BTW: The mouse is not Logitech compatible. There are two modes:
One should be Mouse Systems compatible and the other should be Microsoft
compatible. I am saying should be because I tried to use the MS-driver
and it always gave an error: could not find mouse (or something like it).
The Mouse Systems mode seems to work better. But I don't have access to
a driver for that mouse ! It should be possible to set the Logitech
mouse driver to Mouse Systems mode, but it didn't work for me, either.

It can't be a bad configuration of my three serial ports I have, because
my new mouse works perfectly.

>Tanx.
>Keith Jackson {convex, texsun}!smu!jackson == jackson@csvax.seas.smu.edu

>		U N * X : L i v e  F r e e  o r  D i e

Sorry for this bad news, but that's my experience.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14