[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Fractint v15.0 and hercules graphics

Michael Barnett (12/17/90)

I can't get the fractint v15.0 program to run on my PC with hercules
graphics.  The text doesn't show up but the graphics will.  In a cga
emulation mode (using a software emulator) I can get the text (which
has been done nicely), but the graphics is all garbled.

Has any one out there experienced similar problems?  Is there anything
I am neglecting to do?

T.I.A.
--
          Michael Barnett s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
                 RMIT/VUT, Melbourne, Australia

decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com (12/18/90)

In article <6982@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> Michael Barnett writes:
>I can't get the fractint v15.0 program to run on my PC with hercules
>graphics.  The text doesn't show up but the graphics will.  In a cga
>emulation mode (using a software emulator) I can get the text (which
>has been done nicely), but the graphics is all garbled.
>
>Has any one out there experienced similar problems?  Is there anything
>I am neglecting to do?

You beat me to this.  Now that I have part 12 and have un-uuencoded,
and un-zooed it, it won't work with my Hercules compatable card either.
I can switch to CGA mode in hardware and it works fine, but when I
try it in Hercules mode, all I get is a blank screen with the cursor
in the upper left corner.

It appears that the code for switching to Hercules graphics mode was
somehow altered in the latest update (or perhaps the code that detects
the graphics card type was munged.)  If nayone has the source to
this version, could you please check the Herc graphics section and
see if there has been some change?

>T.I.A.
>--
>          Michael Barnett s873561@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
>                 RMIT/VUT, Melbourne, Australia
>   "The opinions expressed here belong to whoever wants them" :-)

Brendt Hess a.k.a.             | Disclaimer: Opinions?  I don't even work here!
Vergil William de Comyn a.k.a. |-----------------------------------------------
Payne Hirds                    |       Life is not a zero-sum game:
decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com    |          don't treat it as such.

apm233m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (12/20/90)

In article <6982@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, Michael Barnett writes:
> I can't get the fractint v15.0 program to run on my PC with hercules
> graphics.  The text doesn't show up but the graphics will.  In a cga
> emulation mode (using a software emulator) I can get the text (which
> has been done nicely), but the graphics is all garbled.
>
> Has any one out there experienced similar problems?  Is there anything
> I am neglecting to do?

I just got around to trying to run FRACTINT v15 with my Hercules compatible
(mono graphics) card. I used the SIMCGA emulator program to emulate CGA
graphics and it works ok. In fact I used a little batch file to do the job,
the contents of which are:
    pushdir
    simcga
    setcga
    cd c:\games\fractint
    fractint
    setmono
    popdir
This also cleans up things after FRACTINT terminates.
I don't run many programs which won't work directly with the Hercules card,
but of the few CGA simulator programs which I have tried I find that SIMCGA
produces the best results.

Bill Metzenthen
Maths Department
Monash University
(Opinions all my own..)

system@infopls.UUCP (SYSOP) (12/22/90)

apm233m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

> In article <6982@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, Michael Barnett writes:
> > I can't get the fractint v15.0 program to run on my PC with hercules
> > graphics.  The text doesn't show up but the graphics will.  In a cga
> > emulation mode (using a software emulator) I can get the text (which
> > has been done nicely), but the graphics is all garbled.
> >
> > Has any one out there experienced similar problems?  Is there anything
> > I am neglecting to do?
> >

> I just got around to trying to run FRACTINT v15 with my Hercules compatible
> (mono graphics) card. I used the SIMCGA emulator program to emulate CGA

  I noticed the same problem when trying the Hercules emulation on my ATI
VGA Wonder (someone had asked me if it worked with Hercules.)
  I also found another problem. Fractint totally locks up my computer
whenever I have the VESA driver (VVESA by ATI) loaded. It requires a hard
reset (ie: the big red button.) I found this out because I had the Vesa
driver loaded to run Generic CADD 5.
  With the Vesa driver loaded, I can start it up by using the cardtype=vga
option. The program works fine without the VESA driver, BTW.

Andrew Rossmann  andyross@infopls.UUCP or ..!uunet!ddsw1!infopls!system
Infoplus Support BBS +1 708 537 0247, 1200/2400, 24 hours