[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Uploads at uwasa.fi archives

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (11/05/90)

Mon 5-Nov-90: Acquired to uwasa.fi archives
  /pc/pd2/pak251.zip    NoGate Consulting file compression in zipped
                        form, version 2.51 (the zip repacking is not
                        my doing)
  /pc/pd2/chk4l191.zip  Detect lzexe compressed files by John Land,
                        version 1.91

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.3, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't
be able to utilize the mail server anyway.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/25/90)

Mon 24-Dec-90: Merry Christmas! Acquired the following program
updates from Simtel20 (with the expection of bx901223.zip, which I
created myself).  Since I have looked at some of these programs in
more detail, I'll announce and describe, even if this duplicates
some of Simtel20 information.

 /pc/pd2
 bx901223.zip A collection of lists of Finnish BBS phone and node
              numbers. In Finnish, but that is not really a problem
              in BBS lists (the long distance tariffs are).

 /pc/pd2
 chk4lz20.zip List lzexe and pklite compressed executables.
              By John Land. Has been updated to detect pklited
              files, since I last looked at it. Useful.

 /pc/pd2
 drx091.zip   List axe, lzexe, and pklite compressed executables.
              By Raymond Kaya. Screen divided in two. The first half
              gives the directory listing of compressed execuatbles,
              the other half to normal executables. Nice and
              definitely useful if you use compressed executables.

 /pc/pd2
 dsz1216.zip  External Zmodem by Omen Technology.  Umpteenth update,
              16-Dec-90. An excellent product with a frustrating
              documentation.

 /pc/pd2
 dsz1216n.zip What's new in dsz1216.zip.

 (see uwasa.fi INDEX for the directory)
 help30.zip   A user reference help for MsDos by Richard Brittain.
              An impressive amount of useful help text. At first I
              had difficulties with the installation and the user
              interface, and didn't quite like it compared with some
              other help interfaces I've seen. Many potentially
              useful utilities get discarded by these kinds of first
              impressions (right or wrong).

 /pc/pd2
 pattr15.zip  Set file attributes in many ways from Patri-Soft. Norm
              Patrquin has hit upon a successful formula for writing
              useful utilities. The basic idea is that you can
              choose in very many ways the files you want to handle
              with a user interface that is very similar across his
              utilities. His perhaps best known utility is pcopy85d.
              The only problem is that the utilities have so many
              options, that they sometimes feel a bit bloated.

 see INDEX
 pcz40690.zip PcConnect Protocol Driver from Zmodem etc.
              I may be doing something wrong with this external
              zmodem, but I have never managed to make it transfer
              anything between my PC + MultiTech V32 MultiModem and
              our Sun 4 + DSI.

 see INDEX
 pwrbat14.zip A kind of a batch language plus compiler. Seems
              complicated and there is page after page shareware
              information in the documentation before any
              instructions. As far as I could tell and experiment it
              is not a batch file compiler, but a batch language and
              a compiler which is a different proposition. If the
              idea of shareware is to try out a program on the fly
              to see if it is worth more examination this one fails
              this most important step. It does not help if the
              system would be excellent after some hours of work, if
              the first five minutes are a disaster. Shareware
              authors (and we other programmers) might do well in
              bearing this in mind.

 see INDEX
 pnl004.zip   These are Pascal Newsletters. Issue #4 is intresting
 pnl005.zip   because it includes a profiles code, and an assembler
              listing of microsecond timing. Although I don't know
              assembler myself, I have seen the question of micro
              second timing often in the news. These also
              demonstrate that the concept of electronic journals
              and paperless office are just for narrow special
              purposes. More, not less, paper will be consumed.

 /pc/pd2
 where44a.zip An excellent file finder by Keith Ledbetter. This one
              is one of my favorites as a well made program. It
              searches files by a wild card name, executes the
              optionally, searches optionally for duplicate names,
              pklited executables, and so on. And all you have to
              know is to write whereis. The self-documentation is
              good and concise enough. The unixish feature of
              executing files perhaps feels slightly superfluous.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec24.195705.20569@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
> pcz40690.zip PcConnect Protocol Driver from Zmodem etc.
>              I may be doing something wrong with this external
>              zmodem, but I have never managed to make it transfer
>              anything between my PC + MultiTech V32 MultiModem and
>              our Sun 4 + DSI.

You may be doing something wrong, but if so, I am too. I've never even
come close to getting a file to transfer in either direction between a
PC with MS-DOS 3.3 and a VAX running VMS 5.3 and any version of RZ or SZ.

One problem may be that control characters screw up the transmission.
I don't think this program has an option to escape control codes.

Richard stanton
pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

phantom@wam.umd.edu (Scott S. Perry) (12/25/90)

 > > pcz40690.zip PcConnect Protocol Driver from Zmodem etc.
 > >              I may be doing something wrong with this external
 > >              zmodem, but I have never managed to make it
 >
 > You may be doing something wrong, but if so, I am too. I've

	Well, although I too have had some problems with the most
recent PCZ, in the past I used to use it regularly to download from
the mainframe here. I've played around with some things since then, so
I can't say whether it's new difficulties, or the new version, but I
have been successful in the past. Also, I've used it on the BBS run by
one of the authors, and it worked flawlessly on the occasions I have
used it there.

	One unique feature of PCZ 4.06.90 is that it supports "Super
Zmodem", a slight variant that will speed up the transfer slightly by
not sending XON XOFF characters when they are not needed, or some
similar scheme. This is similar to the MobyTurbo idea that DSZ has.

Scott

In article <1990Dec24.215727.26283@portia.Stanford.EDU> rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) writes:
>In article <1990Dec24.195705.20569@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>> pcz40690.zip PcConnect Protocol Driver from Zmodem etc.
>>              I may be doing something wrong with this external
>>              zmodem, but I have never managed to make it transfer
>>              anything between my PC + MultiTech V32 MultiModem and
>>              our Sun 4 + DSI.
>
>You may be doing something wrong, but if so, I am too. I've never even
>come close to getting a file to transfer in either direction between a
>PC with MS-DOS 3.3 and a VAX running VMS 5.3 and any version of RZ or SZ.
>
>One problem may be that control characters screw up the transmission.
>I don't think this program has an option to escape control codes.

One clarification before we take this discussion to email or
elsewhere, but this might have some general interest to c.b.i.p.d
users, or someone might have further information on this program
distributed through our ftp channels.  The problem is either in the
pcz program, or in the way we try to use it.  I have made litarally
thousands of successful file transfers with Telix Zmodem (my PC <-->
computer centre Sun 4), and I've also tested Omen Technology's many
versions of dsz succesfully, even if its later circulated shareware
versions could be considered "crippleware" eg in the handling of
MsDos paths.  (I've retained an old version that does not have this
"feature" in the /pc/pd2 directory for evaluation.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)