[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Suggestion for comp.binaries.ibm.pc

mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) (12/24/90)

I have a suggestion for comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Since McAfee's SCAN,
CLEANUP, and VSHIELD are now being packed with PKZIP with
authentication flags set, and since it is so critical that these
utilities are not mucked around with, and since some of us upload
SCAN and CLEANUP to other BBS's from cbip after converting the
files to ZIP format, how about allowing an exclusion to the bylaws
of cbip to allow the posting of SCAN, CLEANUP, and VSHIELD in their
original ZIP format?
--
      "THANK YOU FOR NOT        /\   UUCP: ames att!pacbell! \
DISCUSSING THE OUTSIDE WORLD." |\/|     pyramid sun!pacbell! => sactoh0!mholtz

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) (12/25/90)

In article <4525@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>I have a suggestion for comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Since McAfee's SCAN,
>CLEANUP, and VSHIELD are now being packed with PKZIP with
>authentication flags set, and since it is so critical that these
>utilities are not mucked around with, and since some of us upload
>SCAN and CLEANUP to other BBS's from cbip after converting the
>files to ZIP format, how about allowing an exclusion to the bylaws
>of cbip to allow the posting of SCAN, CLEANUP, and VSHIELD in their
>original ZIP format?
>--

I second that motion, any discussion?!

Sorry

but

this

is

convince

our

machine

send the response. :-(

  Chuck Bennett                               INTERNET: uchuck@med.unc.edu
  Medical Sciences Teaching Labs              BITNET:   uchuck@unc
  CB# 7520  University of NC                  PHONE:    919-966-1134(w)
  Chapel Hill, NC  27599-7520

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/25/90)

The time has come to reconsider the ZIP format as the preferred medium
for distribution in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Many of the authors of
today's popular MS-DOS programs are distributing them in ZIP files
that have the authentication verification feature, with the author's
personal authentication number.  The is the policy of SIMTEL20 *not*
to repack ZIPs which contain authentication, in order that it may be
retained to assure downloaders that these files are exactly as the
author released them.

Some recent programs noted to have this feature are:  DSZ, ZCOMM,
WHERE4x, PKLITE, PKZIP/UNZIP, the McAfee anti-viral programs (SCANV,
CLEANP, NETSCAN, VSHIELD), and numerous others.

One side benefit of switching to ZIP format would be a considerable
reduction in the size of the files distributed by comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
I have seen some ZOO files which were 300-350K reduced for a savings
of 100K and sometimes as much as 180K when converted to ZIP format.

What's different now from the last time we discussed ZIP for cbibmpc?
The Info-ZIP group has released a freely distributable fast UNZIP for
several flavors of Unix, VAX/VMS, IBM/CMS, and MTS - complete with
portable C language source.  A freely distributable ZIP is now being
Beta tested by the same group.

If you would like to be a part of this development effort, send email
to Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL asking that your name be
added to the mailing list.

I encourage all BBS SysOps to preserve the authentication on files so
distributed by their authors.  This is a big step towards the
elimination of viruses and trojans.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

In article <4525@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
| I have a suggestion for comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Since McAfee's SCAN,

  Currently I have been getting the new versions out with a few days (in
some cases hours) of availability. I can do this because I have lots of
shell scripts which handle zoo files, and a zoo archiver which runs on
UNIX.

  We don't distribute the zip unarchiver, so of course someone will have
to offer to mail a copy with instructions to everyone on earth who
doesn't have it and can't figure out how to use it. I get about 40
requests a week for the stuff which goes out every other week if that
gives you some idea what the volume would be. I'm spending 12-15 hours a
week on this now, there are no more, what goes into supporting a new
format for a small number of submissions comes out of posting other
things.

  If people don't feel that the format I use is convenient, then I
certainly am willing to stop posting antiviral software.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX