[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for latest ProComm software!

johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) (12/26/90)

	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
	net.  Could someone  please point me in the right direction of an
	archive site ?  Please reply by e-mail as I normally do not read
	this newsgroup.

						Thanks,

						John Fanelli

						johnfa@i88.isc.com

In article <1990Dec26.130022.8077@i88.isc.com> johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) writes:

| 	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
| 	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
| 	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
| 	net.

  I believe you are thinking of ProComm+, and the last time I checked it
is most definitely not shareware. There is an older version which was
shareware, 2.4.2, and someone may have that.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (12/27/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <1990Dec26.130022.8077@i88.isc.com> johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) writes:
>|
>| 	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
>| 	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
>| 	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
>| 	net.

>  I believe you are thinking of ProComm+, and the last time I checked it
>is most definitely not shareware. There is an older version which was
>shareware, 2.4.2, and someone may have that.
>--
>bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)

There is a shareware version of Procomm Plus 1.1 called the PC Plus
Test Drive.  It has most of the features of Procomm Plus, and it
will help you decide whether or not you want to buy Procomm.  You
can find Procomm Plus 1.1 or the old Procomm 2.4.2 on Simtel in
PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM> - PCPLUSTD.ZIP - Procomm Plus Test Drive 1.1

Might I suggest you check out Telix version 3.12A, I think it's
better than Procomm Plus, and is completely shareware.

--
David Lemson    U of Illinois Computing Services Student Consultant
Internet : lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   University of Illinois, Urbana

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (12/27/90)

In article <2744@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1990Dec26.130022.8077@i88.isc.com> johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) writes:
>| 	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
>| 	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
>| 	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
>| 	net.
>  I believe you are thinking of ProComm+, and the last time I checked it
>is most definitely not shareware. There is an older version which was
>shareware, 2.4.2, and someone may have that.

The latest shareware version is 2.4.3  and is available  at least here
at uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3).

But   I, too   would   rather prefer   Telix or   Telemate   (Telemate
personally).

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ===========================
P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec26.130022.8077@i88.isc.com> johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) writes:

>	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
>	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
>	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
>	net.  Could someone  please point me in the right direction of an

Procomm Plus is a commercial product, but you can get Procomm on the
net. At uwasa.fi archives see the following files in the /pc/pd2
directory.
  prcm243.zip     Procomm shareware version 2.4.3
  prcm243d.zip    Procomm document
  prcm243u.zip Procomm utilities (also see /pc/ts/tspfon29.arc)
I recommend that you also take a look at Telix.  Same directory.
Both are good products.

:
>						John Fanelli

               An extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq15.arc:
2. *****
 Q: Why "(Please) reply by email, I don't usually read this group"
(actually a demand rather than a question) gets flamed?

 A: This is basically an impolite way of formulating such a request.
If one is interested enough to post to a group, one should also be
prepared to follow up the group.
   Intended or not, the attitude this (email-I-don't-read) decree
easily conveys is "I don't usually care for this wimpy group, but
this time you are allowed to be of service to my exalted person".
What you should do, if following the group is genuinely problematic
for you (for cost or other reasons), is to offer to make a summary
of the replies. The liturgy often used for this is "Please reply by
email. If there is sufficient interest, I'll summarize". (This
alternative is often advocated also because it is supposed to cut
down the traffic). You might even state why following a group is
problematic for you, but this is up to you.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec27.052414.3798@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) writes:
... much deleted ...
>There is a shareware version of Procomm Plus 1.1 called the PC Plus
>Test Drive.  It has most of the features of Procomm Plus, and it
>will help you decide whether or not you want to buy Procomm.  You
>can find Procomm Plus 1.1 or the old Procomm 2.4.2 on Simtel in
>PD2:<MSDOS2.PROCOMM> - PCPLUSTD.ZIP - Procomm Plus Test Drive 1.1
... rest deleted ...

Just for general information.  The PC Plus Test Drive has the same
stipulation problem as has the original PKZIP (for a different
reason).  It is not for distribution outside North America.

I am just passing the information.  That the stipulation is both
ridiculous and impossible to implement is another story.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (12/27/90)

In article <2744@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
|> In article <1990Dec26.130022.8077@i88.isc.com> johnfa@clai.i88.isc.com (John Fanelli) writes:
|> |
|> | 	I recently got a modem and an American XT IBM compatible.  I'd like
|> | 	to use it to dial into work.  I heard that there is a good software
|> | 	package called PC+ by Procomm and that it is available through the
|> | 	net.
|>
|>   I believe you are thinking of ProComm+, and the last time I checked it
|> is most definitely not shareware. There is an older version which was
|> shareware, 2.4.2, and someone may have that.

Also, there is PC+ TD, which is a test drive version of PC+

--

Jody Hagins
hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (12/28/90)

lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) writes:
>Might I suggest you check out Telix version 3.12A, I think it's
>better than Procomm Plus, and is completely shareware.

*----

In what way is it better?  I tried it, and found the terminal emulation to be
as inadequate as ProComm's.  It had fewer file transfer protocols supported.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec27.180542.1222@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
>lemson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson) writes:
>>Might I suggest you check out Telix version 3.12A, I think it's
>>better than Procomm Plus, and is completely shareware.
>
>In what way is it better?  I tried it, and found the terminal emulation to be
>as inadequate as ProComm's.  It had fewer file transfer protocols supported.

21. *****
 Q: Which is better, Procomm Plus or Telix?

 A: Both are excellent telecommunications programs. I won't try to
answer in any absolute terms, but tell some of my subjective
observations, since I have used both quite a lot. I am speaking of
Procomm+ version 1.1A and Telix 3.12 (neither quite the latest).
   Procomm+ is a fully commercial program while Telix is shareware.
(There is an earlier shareware Procomm [version 2.4.3]. Both the
shareware programs are available from uwasa.fi archives /pc/pd2
directory. The shareware Procomm is not in the same league with
Procomm+ and Telix).
   Procomm+ comes with a manual, and there is literature on Procomm+
while Telix documents come as a file in the shareware distribution.
   I have tried the user support of both, with slightly discouraging
results. In the case of Procomm+ I asked about the possibility of a
two-way translation table, but the response was a polite no without
any useful suggestions. In the case of Telix, I returned a faulty
shareware disk, and had no reaction at all. On the other hand, both
are such good products, that I haven't really needed the support.
   Procomm+ and Telix both have a useful command language. Procomm's
is annoyingly sluggish since it is interpreter while Telix sports a
C-like Salt compiler. Procomm's aspect command language is easier to
use, while Telix's Salt command language is really powerful.
   Procomm+ command files can be invoked from a menu. In Telix this
very convenient option is missing.
   Under difficult conditions with a slow machine plus a fast modem
Telix behaves much better. I've even noted circumstances where Telix
is the only working choice of the two, because Procomm+ cannot
always cope with the load.
   Admittedly, Telix has fewer file transfer protocols than
Procomm+, BUT this is more than amply compensated by the fact that
Telix has an unbuilt Zmodem protocol. Neither has a sliding Kermit.
   The translation tables of both programs cause headaches to users
needing some 8-bit characters as we Finns do. Procomm+ does not have
an outgoing translation table at all. Telix does, but it gets
tangled in ansi graphics when A with double dots is translated.
   Personally, I prefer Procomm's concise call logging to Telix's
fuller but incoherent call logging.
   This is very subjective but of the two the "feel" of the user
interface in Telix is more user friendly than that of Procomm+. In
particular, Telix has an automatic starting of downloads.
   Procomm+ has a superior host mode compared to Telix. Yes, I know
that there are external host modes for Telix, such as host44.zip,
but I've never managed to make it work even in a selftest.
Incidentally, the host mode of shareware Procomm is better left
alone. They frequently crash the machine. Another thing is that
Procomm+ host mode shell to dos option also does this.
   If you use Procomm or Procomm+ you might be interested in more
information given in /pc/ts/tspfon29.arc.
   At the moment I have settled to Telix for calling to BBSes,
to Procomm+ when I need the host mode (and MsKermit when I connect
remotely to uwasa.fi, because MsKermit has clearly the best VT102
emulation of the three).

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)