[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Which Kermit should I use?

mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) (12/26/90)

I am looking for a program that will provide Kermit transfer from
within Telemate 2.11. I look through the SIMIBM index, and, my
gosh, there are a lot of kermit programs in there. I look into the
batch file, and I see that the author uses a "ckermit" program. So,
which one should I use?
--
      "THANK YOU FOR NOT        /\   UUCP: ames att!pacbell! \
DISCUSSING THE OUTSIDE WORLD." |\/|     pyramid sun!pacbell! => sactoh0!mholtz

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/26/90)

mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>I am looking for a program that will provide Kermit transfer from
>within Telemate 2.11. I look through the SIMIBM index, and, my
>gosh, there are a lot of kermit programs in there. I look into the
>batch file, and I see that the author uses a "ckermit" program. So,
>which one should I use?

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
PCKERM21.ARC  B   42922  880801  External Kermit protocol for COMM programs

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

ac999306@umbc5.umbc.edu (ac999306) (12/28/90)

mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) writes:

>I am looking for a program that will provide Kermit transfer from
>within Telemate 2.11. I look through the SIMIBM index, and, my
>gosh, there are a lot of kermit programs in there. I look into the
>batch file, and I see that the author uses a "ckermit" program. So,
>which one should I use?

Must you *really* use Kermit?  If you are going to be talking to a
machine that supports Zmodem, or more correctly, a machine that Zmodem
will compile on (e.g. just about any Unix box, VMS, and probably other
mainframes, as well as many non-ibm PCs) I would highly suggest you
use Zmodem instead of Kermit.  Why?  Let me count the ways...

o  It is a streaming protocol that will give you approx. 225-238 cps from
   a 2400 bps modem, vs. 110-150 cps with kermit.  You will notice
   little, if any, performance degredation if going through a network.

o  32 bit CRC error checking.  I've never received a corrupted file
   with Zmodem, unlike other froggy protocols.

o  It is capable of dealing with both binary and text files.  Newline
   conversion on text files is handeled by the receiver, eliminating
   the lf / cr+lf headache when sending between MS-DOS and Unix.

o  Have you ever received the dreaded "NO CARRIER" 55 minutes through
   a one hour transfer?  Well, Zmodem will let you recover the file
   and *automatically* send the remaining 5 minutes worth of data.

o  It is capable of dealing with brain-damaged modem servers that get
   confused by control characters  (Ok, I'll admit, kermit *does* do
   this too...)

o  it supports wildcarding (multiple files) and transmission of file/
   path name to receiver, making a transfer a single-ended process.
   Here is all you need to do to send all the .ZOO files in the
   current directory on your Unix box to the current directory on your
   PC:

C:\DLS> dsz t                           <<< MS-DOS command
/usr/users/me/News/cbip: sz *.zoo       <<< Unix command

   And all the rest is done w/o any further user intervention.

And I could go on (and on and on) but if that's not enough to get you
to switch (the first point alone should have been enough...) I don't
know what else possibly could.

And now before I get flamed (zipping up my asbestos suit) I will admit
that getting Zmodem to work the first time is not always the easiest
task.  I'll list some problems you may run in to:

o  Obtaining and compiling Zmodem sources on your mainframe (n/a on
   PC-PC xfers.)  IMHO, sz and rz should be in /usr/local/bin or
   SYS$SYSTEM (?) of any Unix or VMS machine.  Solution:  Very
   politely ask your sys admin to install it.

o  Setting up DSZ.EXE (the external executable for the PC) to work
   with your existing terminal program.  Solution:  Use Telix.  In
   addition to supporting Zmodem internally, it is cheap, powerful,
   easy to use, and blows away just about everything else out there.
   (but that's a plug for another day.)

o  Figuring out the proper command switches if you have a
   brain-damaged server.  For example, our modem server sends data to
   our dial-ups at 4800 baud to take advantage of our 2400 baud MNP 5
   modems.  However, if you are a poor sot like myself who cannot
   afford to upgrade to a MNP modem, you loose every other 2-k block
   of data.  Not too cool.  But with the proper switches, Zmodem works
   like a dream.

Well Mark, I havn't really answered your question, have I?  All I
really wanted to do was let the world know that there is an
alternative to Kermit or Xmodem.  One that is far better, faster, more
reliable and "easier to use" (with the stated caveats)

Are you the local systems guru at your site?  Chances are you already
know about Zmodem.  If not, get it, install it, try it out, and unless
you don't agree it's better than any of the alternatives, start
spreading the word...

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Chuck Forsberg (creator of the
Zmodem protocol,) his company "Omen Technology," or the authors of
Telix, other than, as is quite obvious, a very satisfied user.

--
Peter Johansson  (Resident Troublemaker)
ac999306@umbc5.umbc.edu (for another few days.)

root@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Postmaster) (12/28/90)

> Peter Johansson  ac999306@umbc5.umbc.edu (ac999306) writes:

> Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Chuck Forsberg (creator of the
> Zmodem protocol,) his company "Omen Technology," or the authors of
> Telix, other than, as is quite obvious, a very satisfied user.

While I think that Chuck Forsberg's *implementation* of Zmodem is great, I
don't think that he is the "creator" of Zmodem.  If I am not mistaken, the
specs were published by some other entity and are in the public domain.
Chuck is, I believe, responsible for significant enhancements to the specs.

---
   Steve Pershing, System Administrator

| The QUESTOR PROJECT - Free Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more |
| Usenet:  sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca      |  POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 |
| Phones:  Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682-6659  |        Vancouver, British Columbia |
|          Data/BBS:   +1 604 681-0670  |        Canada  V6E 4L2             |

In article <4752@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> ac999306@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (ac999306) writes:

| Must you *really* use Kermit?  If you are going to be talking to a
| machine that supports Zmodem, or more correctly, a machine that Zmodem
| will compile on (e.g. just about any Unix box, VMS, and probably other
| mainframes, as well as many non-ibm PCs) I would highly suggest you
| use Zmodem instead of Kermit.  Why?  Let me count the ways...
|
| o  It is a streaming protocol that will give you approx. 225-238 cps from
|    a 2400 bps modem, vs. 110-150 cps with kermit.  You will notice
|    little, if any, performance degredation if going through a network.

  Sliding windows Kermit has done this for a number of years. It's in
current DOS and UNIX versions and has been for about two years. Don't
know about other versions. It's in the current C-Kermit.

| o  32 bit CRC error checking.  I've never received a corrupted file
|    with Zmodem, unlike other froggy protocols.

  Kermit offers several error checking options, depending on your trade
between CPU and error checking.

| o  It is capable of dealing with brain-damaged modem servers that get
|    confused by control characters  (Ok, I'll admit, kermit *does* do
|    this too...)

  As you say...

  While I use and support zmodem, I have none of the complaints you
mentioned. They were all taken care of long ago. The restart feature of
zmodem is great, but it must be done at both ends, reducing the
usefulness of it in some circumstances, such as calling a BBS without an
option to try on the "continue" option.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX