[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] NNANSI.SYS

root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) (12/12/90)

The recently posted NNANSY.SYS set has a couple of problems that I noticed.
I downloaded a previous version of nnansi, and tried it for a while. It had
the speed advertised, but also a very annoying quirk.

The best example is whn using pagers like 'MORE' (the pd version, not DOS) and
foobar's fsuucp or even in a 'fancy prompt'. When a program uses a reversed or
color background which doesn't use the entire screen, the reversed video bar,
or the color background area appears at the top of the screen, while the text
appears on the current screen line. It looks like this:

[ reverse area or color    ]

 - MORE -  23%

instead of

[ - MORE - 23%             ]

The newly posted version does exactly the same thing.

nnansi.sys is very fast, but, in my opinion, should only be used on mono-
chrome systems which don't support color or reverse(!) video.

By the way, my system is pretty straightforward. It's an 8 mhz NEC with a
video-7 egastar board.

right now, I use the nansi.sys (opposed to nnansi) with no trouble at all.
I can also use the standard ansi.sys and (for that matter) ALL of the other
replacements for ansi.sys, except nnansi.

TO THE AUTHOR: *please* keep trying, nnansi is great except for this problem!

           Reply To: bobk%dogear!tau-ceti@uunet (Dog Ear'd Systems)
           A Division of Brand-X, Spokane,  WA 99202 (509) 535-6575
Original Materials (c) Copyright 1990-1991 Bob Kirkpatrick. All Rights Reserved

mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) (12/12/90)

Though I'm the last one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I had some
problems with NNANSI too (also using Video 7 equipment -- I've got the
VGA208E from Headlands Technology, that's Video 7, isn't it?)... I found
that if I shelled out of a program to go to MG Emacs, as I recall, NNANSI
seemed to lose track of the place I'd left to go to the shell.  I'd come
back to the program I'd shelled out of, to find that its screen was half
scrolled off the top.  I have no such problem with ANSI.SYS.  NNANSI also
seemed to put blinking blocks before and after the echo'd lines during my
autoexec, but I didn't try to track that down -- I packed it in after the
shell problems appeared.  I didn't try NNANSI with a bare system (all drivers
removed, etc.) -- there may be some incompatibility there as well.

-- Michael Flory (mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu)

pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (12/12/90)

In article <266@dogear.UUCP> root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>The recently posted NNANSY.SYS set has a couple of problems that I noticed.
>I downloaded a previous version of nnansi, and tried it for a while. It had
>the speed advertised, but also a very annoying quirk.
>
>The best example is whn using pagers like 'MORE' (the pd version, not DOS) and
>foobar's fsuucp or even in a 'fancy prompt'. When a program uses a reversed or
>color background which doesn't use the entire screen, the reversed video bar,
>or the color background area appears at the top of the screen, while the text
>appears on the current screen line. It looks like this:

[stuff deleted]

I had a problem with nnansi also. (An older version, I haven't tried
the new one yet).  When I was using a PD version of MORE as well.  If
I tried to "more" a manpage that I had produced with nroff, none of
the cursor control (for bolding and underlining) was interpreted.
It was interpreted using standard DOS more though.

This was fixed when I started using nansi.

Something else I have noticed with all versions of nansi, nnansi, ansi
and zansi is that there seems to be a problem when using a vi clone.
When I use "dw" to delete the word at the end of a line, the next line
is automatically "Joined".  This happens both with Elvis and Stevie so
I think it is a problem with XXansi.

>TO THE AUTHOR: *please* keep trying, nnansi is great except for this problem!

I concur.

....Paul

--
         Paul "vi joe" Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services                      University of Waterloo  Waterloo, Ontario Canada  N2L-3G1
  < pfratar@watshine.UWaterloo.CA >       < pfratar@watserv1.UWaterloo.CA >

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (12/13/90)

In article <266@dogear.UUCP> root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>The recently posted NNANSY.SYS set has a couple of problems that I noticed.
>I downloaded a previous version of nnansi, and tried it for a while. It had
>the speed advertised, but also a very annoying quirk.

>The best example is whn using pagers like 'MORE' (the pd version, not DOS) and
>foobar's fsuucp or even in a 'fancy prompt'. When a program uses a reversed or
>color background which doesn't use the entire screen, the reversed video bar,
>or the color background area appears at the top of the screen, while the text
>appears on the current screen line. It looks like this:
[example deleted]

The author replies:
	I would guess (judging by past experience) that the problem is
related to the NNANSI fast scrolling feature rather than reverse video.

	NNANSI obtains fast scrolling by altering the display start address.
It is compatible with programs that check the address (it is documented),
but has problems with programs which don't. NNANSI does contain code which
checks for problem programs, but it doesn't always work.

	The documentation suggests running NNANSI in "slow" mode for
such programs. There is a supplied file, SLOW.BAT, that changes to slow
mode. Slow mode is also required for programs that want multiple display
pages. I suggest that Bob try slow mode before giving up. I also request
that he send me the PD more program if this doesn't fix the problem, so
that I can look at it (the PICNIX more that I have doesn't use reverse
video, and the commercial MKS more doesn't exhibit this problem).

>nnansi.sys is very fast, but, in my opinion, should only be used on mono-
>chrome systems which don't support color or reverse(!) video.

Actually, NNANSI provides better color support than the others. NNANSI
lets you turn reverse video off without reseting the colors. One "gotcha"
is that NNANSI correctly handles the foreground and background color
setting commands while in reverse video (i.e., if you change the foreground
color, the background color actually changes because it is reversed!).
Also NNANSI gives full color support in 16 color graphic modes -- you can set
the background color!
I wrote the following fancy prompt to check operation:

prompt $e[7m$e[s$e[1;50H$t $d$e[K$e[u$p$g$e[27m

This prompt goes to reverse video, saves the cursor position, goes to the
top of the display, writes the time and date, erases to end of line,
restores the cursor, prints the current drive/directory a right angle bracket,
and then leaves reverse video. It works just fine on my system.

>TO THE AUTHOR: *please* keep trying, nnansi is great except for this problem!

As I said, please slow mode. Then if that doesn't work send me a copy of
the more program. 90% of bug reports I get are solved by using slow mode.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

jim@newmedia.UUCP (Jim Beveridge) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.080228.18107@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) writes:

>that if I shelled out of a program to go to MG Emacs, as I recall, NNANSI
>seemed to lose track of the place I'd left to go to the shell.  I'd come
>back to the program I'd shelled out of, to find that its screen was half
>scrolled off the top.  I have no such problem with ANSI.SYS.  NNANSI also
>-- Michael Flory (mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu)

If you RYFM, you'll find the documentation describes exactly why this
happens and what you can do about it.  That is what the supplied
"SLOW" command fixes.

		Jim

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (12/13/90)

I've also had problems with NNANSI.  I eventually gave up and tossed it.
Sometimes, displays get pushed 1/3 up the screen, and stay there.  All
display calls function normally, but the screen is still pushed up.  I've
seen this happen with PC Tools, and a CP/M emulator.  It doesn't happen
consistently, but often enough to be annoying.

Using AT compatible computer with QuadEGA+ card and monitor, PC Tools 4.21.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (12/13/90)

<>The recently posted NNANSY.SYS set has a couple of problems that I noticed.

Yet another ME TOO! posting.

I have a 386sx clone, with a Paradise VGA 16+ card.  Normally, I use VANSI.SYS
which is derived from an older version of NANSI.SYS.   This works like a dream,
except that is is much slower than ZANSI/NNANSI..

But at least it works reliably!

NNANSI.SYS does funny stuff with the cursor on my system.  In ANY text mode,
the cursor stays at the right of the screen, near the bottom, while I type
elsewhere.  When I backspace, though, the cursor goes to the probper place,
until I type something else.  I was unable to get rid of this behaviour by
playing with the numerous assembly options.

Another annoyance, particularly visible with ELVIS, is that it does not use
the proper attributes when writing text.  I looked through the code and
managed to find/fix this bug.

Nice package anyway.. two releases ago it DID work on my system, but not for
the most recent two.  VANSI.SYS works great, except for the speed.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) (12/14/90)

Here is a positive posting about nnansi.sys.
It works great for me, I can't find anything wrong with it;
everything appears to work as it should. In all unusual text modes
I can think of, even 132x44, and EGA graphics modes.
What am I doing wrong? :-)

Bye!

P.S. I am using a Samsung SPC-3000 (XT clone) and an ATI EGA Wonder,
     connected to an EGA color monitor.
--
    ____________________       ________________________________________
   / Erik Tamboer      /\__   / I would have included a really funny  /\__

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (12/14/90)

In an article tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) wrote:
>Here is a positive posting about nnansi.sys.
>It works great for me, I can't find anything wrong with it;
>everything appears to work as it should. In all unusual text modes
>I can think of, even 132x44, and EGA graphics modes.
>What am I doing wrong? :-)
>P.S. I am using a Samsung SPC-3000 (XT clone) and an ATI EGA Wonder,
>     connected to an EGA color monitor.

Aha!  EGA on an XT!  That explains it.  The EGA Wonder card was great.
It was a simpler world, though, back in those days.

--
John Dudeck                                  "If it's Object Oriented then by
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                    definition it's A Good Thing".

pw0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul Christopher Workman) (12/14/90)

Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d:
13-Dec-90  Re: NNANSI.SYS                 Tamboer Erik@cs.vu.nl (663)
>It works great for me, I can't find anything wrong with it;
>everything appears to work as it should. In all unusual text modes
>I can think of, even 132x44, and EGA graphics modes.

Hey, how do you get it into 132x44 mode?  I couldn't
find that in the manual.

thanks,

--paul

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (12/15/90)

In article <18593@hydra.gatech.EDU>,
	ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes...

>I've also had problems with NNANSI.  I eventually gave up and tossed it.
>Sometimes, displays get pushed 1/3 up the screen, and stay there.  All
>display calls function normally, but the screen is still pushed up.

This happens when NNANSI does its fast hardware scroll.  It's documented in
the manual, and the fix is to issue a CLS command in DOS before running your
application.  This fixes the hardware registers.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

system@infopls.UUCP (SYSOP) (12/15/90)

mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) writes:

> Though I'm the last one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I had some
> problems with NNANSI too (also using Video 7 equipment -- I've got the
> VGA208E from Headlands Technology, that's Video 7, isn't it?)... I found
> that if I shelled out of a program to go to MG Emacs, as I recall, NNANSI
> seemed to lose track of the place I'd left to go to the shell.  I'd come
> back to the program I'd shelled out of, to find that its screen was half
> scrolled off the top.  I have no such problem with ANSI.SYS.  NNANSI also
> seemed to put blinking blocks before and after the echo'd lines during my
> autoexec, but I didn't try to track that down -- I packed it in after the
> shell problems appeared.  I didn't try NNANSI with a bare system (all drivers
> removed, etc.) -- there may be some incompatibility there as well.
>
> -- Michael Flory (mjf@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu)

  Please, double, triple, quadruple check the documentation. NNANSI gets
super-fast scrolling by resetting the screen buffer, rather than copying
the data. If you have programs that don't like this, there is a small .BAT
file called SLOW.BAT that came with NNANS890.ZIP. This will shut off the
fast-scrolling if you have the 8/90 version of NNANSI.
  BTW, it would be nice if the author would include a version that had the
fast-scrolling, and the take-BIOS, turned off. The first thing I did when I
got my copy was to re-assemble the program with them OFF. If anyone's
intersted, I can send you a copy of the new .SYS file, if you wish. Let me
know what type of video chipset you have [Infoplus 1.41 is a good way to
find out!! :-)] and I'll send you one setup for it so you don't have
problems with large blocks if you use 132 column modes. (Try using
GCOFF.BAT, to see if that helps, BTW.)

---------------
Andrew Rossmann  andyross@infopls.UUCP or ..!uunet!ddsw1!infopls!system
Infoplus Support BBS +1 708 537 0247, 1200/2400, 24 hours

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.140414.4061@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:

> Something else I have noticed with all versions of nansi, nnansi, ansi
> and zansi is that there seems to be a problem when using a vi clone.
> When I use "dw" to delete the word at the end of a line, the next line
> is automatically "Joined".  This happens both with Elvis and Stevie so
> I think it is a problem with XXansi.

Let's not blame ALL the problems on NNANSI.SYS.  As the most recent poster
of Stevie (v.3.69a), I'd like to apologize for what is in fact a Stevie
bug.  I take only minor solace in the fact that Elvis shares it (misery
loves company  :-().  Real "vi" does not have this bug.  If I ever get
around to it, I'll fix it in Stevie.

If you want to verify that it's Stevie and not NNANSI, try Stevie on
UNIX (it's portable); you'll still see the bug, even through termcap.

Cheers!
Dave

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (12/16/90)

In article <0bO8Pgm00WBK84gFAx@andrew.cmu.edu> pw0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul Christopher Workman) writes:
 >Hey, how do you get it into 132x44 mode?  I couldn't
 >find that in the manual.

 While NNANSI.SYS has commands for 80x43 and 80x50 modes, the other extended
 modes are non-standard. You need to find a way to get you card into that mode
 (most card vendors provide a program to do this). Once you are in the mode,
 NNANSI will support it. Certain cards that "improperly" set paragraph 40h
 values need to have NNANSI modified. This information is in the documentation.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

--
Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

bros@convex.com (Andrew Bros) (12/21/90)

I have been using nnansi.sys on my IBM PS/2 Model 70 with no problems.
I've got the standard built-in VGA and an IBM monitor.  I just wanted
people to know that the problems listed here are not universal, and
that they ought to give this program a try.  Now, when I get my
assembler I can tweak the thing for even better performance :-).

(I hope my .sig gets put here)
--
Andrew Bros				bros@convex.com
Product Engineering			Convex [Super]Computer Corp.

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (12/28/90)

bros@convex.com (Andrew Bros) writes:

>I have been using nnansi.sys on my IBM PS/2 Model 70 with no problems.
>I've got the standard built-in VGA and an IBM monitor.  I just wanted
>people to know that the problems listed here are not universal, and
>that they ought to give this program a try.  Now, when I get my
>assembler I can tweak the thing for even better performance :-).

  I'm not sure what problems to which you are refering, as I haven't seen
the original article, however, I have had a few ANSI compatibility probs.
I upgraded from NANSI.SYS to NNANSI.SYS sometime ago. I was very impressed
by the extreme speed it performed, however, various application's text
seemed to disappear (CodeView for example) when using it. I have,
unfortunately, had to go back to the earlier version (>sigh<) :(.
Since I haven't "registered" it, I guess I'm not supposed to bitch. I
haven't looked closely at the code, nor really know where to start with
an "intermittant" problem such as this. >sigh<.  Any fixes please post
them, or better send me e-mail. Thanx.

     "Round and round the while() loop goes;
           Whether it stops," Turing says, "nobody knows."

kaldis@emerald.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (12/31/90)

In article <996@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

> I upgraded from NANSI.SYS to NNANSI.SYS sometime ago. I was very impressed
> by the extreme speed it performed, however, various application's text
> seemed to disappear (CodeView for example) when using it. I have,
> unfortunately, had to go back to the earlier version (>sigh<) :(.

Ditto, especially about CodeView.
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (12/31/90)

In article <996@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>bros@convex.com (Andrew Bros) writes:
>  I'm not sure what problems to which you are refering, as I haven't seen
>the original article, however, I have had a few ANSI compatibility probs.
>I upgraded from NANSI.SYS to NNANSI.SYS sometime ago. I was very impressed
>by the extreme speed it performed, however, various application's text
>seemed to disappear (CodeView for example) when using it. I have,
[...]
>them, or better send me e-mail. Thanx.
>
>Any fixes, pleas post

All of these problems tend to be caused by programs which don't honor the
display start address kept in low memory. The latest version of NNANSI.SYS
"solves" the problem with an escape sequence which puts the driver in "slow"
mode. Batch files which do this are supplied with the distibution. The
documentation suggests techiques (such as ALIASing or batch files) to handle
individual problem applications transparently.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

--