[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Kermit and Telix

visjames@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Larry James (WNYCUG)) (12/31/90)

   Being a faitful registered Telix user I feel compeled to help! :-)

   I did several kermit transfers with my local VAX to get Zmodem up to
it.  I had no problems (other than slowness).  Make sure your useing regular
Kermit, Telix does not support sliding windows.
   Ad for Zmdoem downloads.  To get it to work with the VAX to use the
command "sz -l 512 filename".  The -l 512 makes the maximum block length
512 bytes and fixed all my problems.  Suprisingly you don't loos more than 3-4
CPS in speed either.  Try it.

-- Leo

Just another day in the life........

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) (12/31/90)

visjames@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Larry James (WNYCUG)) writes:

>   Being a faitful registered Telix user I feel compeled to help! :-)

>   I did several kermit transfers with my local VAX to get Zmodem up to
>it.  I had no problems (other than slowness).  Make sure your useing regular
>Kermit, Telix does not support sliding windows.
>   Ad for Zmdoem downloads.  To get it to work with the VAX to use the
>command "sz -l 512 filename".  The -l 512 makes the maximum block length
>512 bytes and fixed all my problems.  Suprisingly you don't loos more than 3-4
>CPS in speed either.  Try it.

 I found using "sz -l 512 filename" to download from a unix machine caused
the transfer speed to drop about 40 cps. I get better performance using
"sz -w 2048 filename".

BTW, to use telix when communicating with machines which only offer kermit,
I have set up the regular ms kermit as an external protocol in telix. This
allows putting the host kermit in server mode.

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/31/90)

If you don't like Telix's Kermit, set this one up as an external
protocol for Telix.

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
PCKERM21.ARC  B   42922  880801  External Kermit protocol for COMM programs

This file is available from SIMTEL20 and Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)