[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] To ZIP to not to ZIP

alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) (12/28/90)

I vote for ZIP.  Its time has come.

In article <1990Dec28.151755.10172@cbnewsd.att.com> alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) writes:
| I vote for ZIP.  Its time has come.

  We've been through this before. The voters all agreed that a protocol
needs to be portable (DOS, UNIX, and VMS minimum) and free (rather than
shareware) for this group. So far I see zoo and lharc, with a useful
UNIX zip a long time away.

  The UNIX zipper is not at a state to use for production yet, for speed
or reliability. lharc runs on DOS and UNIX and could be ported to other
systems. The new zoo, which should be better compression than zip is
coming along nicely as far as I'm told.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/31/90)

In article <2767@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  We've been through this before. The voters all agreed that a protocol
>needs to be portable (DOS, UNIX, and VMS minimum) and free (rather than
>shareware) for this group. So far I see zoo and lharc, with a useful
>UNIX zip a long time away.

The readers of comp.binaries.ibm.pc don't need a Unix ZIP.  Only the
moderator needs that, and you have a DOS emulator/window (whatever
it's called) which lets you run PKZIP on your Unix box.

Versions of a free UNZIP exist for DOS, UNIX, VMS, MTS, CMS and CP/M.
All are available from SIMTEL20.

Let's not turn this into another PK bashing session.  He's not involved.
ZIP is a public domain archiving format.  The Info-ZIP group is working
hard on the project to port UNZIP and ZIP to many platforms.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

dale@NCoast.ORG (Dale Smith) (12/31/90)

In article <2767@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>         The new zoo, which should be better compression than zip is
>coming along nicely as far as I'm told.

Where can I find out about this new zoo?

dale
--
 Dale P. Smith
 dale@ncoast.org                         dale@harco3.uucp

mholtz@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark A. Holtz) (01/01/91)

In article <4475@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
> In article <2767@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> >  We've been through this before. The voters all agreed that a protocol
> >needs to be portable (DOS, UNIX, and VMS minimum) and free (rather than
> >shareware) for this group. So far I see zoo and lharc, with a useful
> >UNIX zip a long time away.
>
> The readers of comp.binaries.ibm.pc don't need a Unix ZIP.  Only the
> moderator needs that, and you have a DOS emulator/window (whatever
> it's called) which lets you run PKZIP on your Unix box.

In all fairness, I only stated SCAN, VSHIELD, and CLEAN should be
covered under ZIP, not because of the better compression, but
because the files now are authenticated by PKZIP, and the
documentation specifically states that if the authentication flags
do not show up while unpacking the files, and McAfee's associates
number does not show up, do not use the files.

I am not knocking davidson's work on c.b.i.p. He provides a
valuable service, and he is extremely helpful when providing the
latest copies of virus scanning software. While I do realize that
the SCAN files are directly from McAfee's BBS, I upload said files
to a local BBS, and I don't want a conflict between I am right, yet
the documentation says something else.

I therefore propose that any virus-scanning from McAfee's BBS be
uploaded to cbip in their original, ZIPped form, and all other
postings be continued in the ZOO format already used in cbip.

Happy New Year!
--
      "THANK YOU FOR NOT        /\   UUCP: ames att!pacbell! \
DISCUSSING THE OUTSIDE WORLD." |\/|     pyramid sun!pacbell! => sactoh0!mholtz

In article <1990Dec31.143159.11443@NCoast.ORG> dale@NCoast.ORG (Dale Smith) writes:

| Where can I find out about this new zoo?

  When it's released you will have a hard time NOT finding out about it.
It will be posted here in binary form, and (probably) once to
alt.sources for final testing, then the production version will be
posted to source.misc.

  Until then be patient and good things will come to those who wait.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX