[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need Setup program or workalike

JDYARD01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Jonathan D. Yarden) (12/24/90)

I have an older AT-type machine with Pheonix BIOS and need a SETUP program
for it.  The machine was purchased secondhand, and I don't have a SETUP disk
for it.  I have tried various other SETUP programs, but none seems to work
correctly.  The machine in question is a Mitac DATAFOX-386.

Jonathan Yarden

dave@tygra.ddmi.com (David Conrad) (12/24/90)

In article <9012240134.AA25487@lilac.berkeley.edu> JDYARD01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Jonathan D. Yarden) writes:
>I have an older AT-type machine with Pheonix BIOS and need a SETUP program
>for it.  The machine was purchased secondhand, and I don't have a SETUP disk
>for it.  I have tried various other SETUP programs, but none seems to work
>correctly.  The machine in question is a Mitac DATAFOX-386.
>
>Jonathan Yarden

My computer's ROM setup routine is located at 0f000h:0100h.  There's a jump
from there to the actual code (jumps past the data), which leads me to
speculate that this address may be standard (I mean, it's such a nice *round*
number).  Anyone know where the setup program is in their computers?  Anyway,
I don't have the setup utility for mine, so I wrote this little program:

	cseg	segment	para public 'code'
		assume	cs:cseg
		org	100h		; make it a .COM program
	begin:	jmp	start
	setup	label	dword		; the ROM BIOS CMOS setup
		dw	0100h,0f000h
	start	call	setup		; call the setup,
		mov	ax, 4c00h	; then terminate, errorlevel==0
		int	21h
	cseg	ends
		end	begin

My setup utility gives me the option of either returning to DOS, which will
return control to this program (at which point the program terminates and
the user is returned to the DOS prompt), or rebooting.

Warning: if there is no setup utility at 0f000:0100h then this program will
have unpredictable results, probably causing the computer to 'hang'.  The
author's computer is an Autocomputer VIP Model: AUVA 220 (IBM PC-AT
compatible).  Your mileage may vary.

Disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all warranties, both express and implied,
including without limitation any implied warranties as the the
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose of the above program.
I will not be liable for any damages relating to the use of this software.
				David R. Conrad, 24 December 1990

Remember, free software is easily worth twice what you paid for it.

Copyright: I hereby place this program into the Public Domain.

Please send any comments or bug reports to the author, whose address is
given below.

David R. Conrad
Domain: dave@tygra.ddmi.com
Snail: 432 Alter Rd.
       Detroit, MI 48215-3105
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Computer Conferencing and File Archive  =
-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

hwb@texnix.stgt.sub.org (Harald Boegeholz) (01/02/91)

Hi!

In article <1990Dec24.124940.7285@tygra.ddmi.com>
dave@tygra.ddmi.com (David Conrad) writes:
> My computer's ROM setup routine is located at 0f000h:0100h.  There's a jump
> from there to the actual code (jumps past the data), which leads me to
> speculate that this address may be standard (I mean, it's such a nice *round*
> number).  Anyone know where the setup program is in their computers?  Anyway,

I have an ALR PowerVEISA 486/25 with Phoenix BIOS Version 1.00.04.
On my machine, the setup program is indeed located at that address.
Furthermore, it can be called (almost) anytime by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc.

Btw, I haven't got the slightest idea how they do this. It even works
after loading my German keyboard driver, which remaps INT 9 and INT 16H.
It even works under Windows 3.0 _in a DOS window_. It even works
under OS/2 1.2 in real mode, though sometimes it crashes the system.

Does anybody have the same machine and has figured out how this works?
Somebody at ALR or Phoenix listening?
Just curious...

Harald

--