[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] The material you send us is public by default

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/02/91)

In article <4497@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:
>doug@giaea.gi.oz (doug thomson) writes:
>> When I came back, I was most surprised to find a posting claiming to be
>> from me, including the full overview of TeleReplica! A closer inspection
:
>It was reposted by me, and clearly marked as such when it left
:
>I'm sorry you were upset by my reposting.  When uploaders provide a
>longer description in addition to the usual one-liner, I frequently
>repost their upload announcements.  Early last year I had been
>including their messages in a posting with my name on it.  That
>resulted in questions coming to me which really should have been sent
>to the author of the program.  Since I receive as many as 50 messages
>per day I had to do something.  The repostings have solved that
>problem and I would like to continue with them.
:

Let me also comment on this, since it indirectly concerns me as
well.  I have the same dilemma as Keith, that is the influx of mail
and material (it's welcome nevertheless, of course).  Hence if your
program, text material or the mail about them is NOT meant for
general distrubution

     Y O U   M U S T   C L E A R L Y   S T A T E   S O

Maintaining the arhives and making the announcements is too
laborious otherwise.  I know that this is a bit unconventional.  But
I must consider ALL material PUBLIC that is sent to me if not
specifically stated otherwise by the sender.  There is no other
practical choice.  Simple as that!
   All the best, Timo

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)