[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wizardry 'cheaters'

uther@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Uther Rhys of Locksley) (12/31/90)

     <sigh> Dumb me!  I just killed my characters in Wizardry, without a recent
backup.  I'd like to just edit my backups to 'restore' them to where they were
before the originals died.  Could someone point me in the direction of a
Wizardry editor?  Thanks!  (Of course, I'm using an IBM-type clone...)

     Uther

no mizu wa amaizo. Ho, ho hotaru koi! - Traditional Japanese round

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (01/04/91)

I used to fix  my characters  with the Ultra utilities before I won the
game.  The problem is that Wizardry is p-system  based and therefore not
DOS  readable.  For some reason  Norton utilities failed to work on
Wizardry disks,  even though Ultra succeeded nicely.  You will have to
hack around a  bit to find the correct bits to play  with.  If you are
still desperate, drop me a line and I can send you a  copy of my
"character map". (I hacked characters  for a long time to get the info I
have.)

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
Disclaimer:  Even I don't agree with myself!
Please send me mail so I can send you mail so you can send me mail so ...

marks@whoville.umiacs.umd.edu (Mark A. Schleifer) (01/05/91)

In article <0bUtfNW00UhW41GqN6@andrew.cmu.edu> bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) writes:
>I used to fix  my characters  with the Ultra utilities before I won the
>game.  The problem is that Wizardry is p-system  based and therefore not
>DOS  readable.  For some reason  Norton utilities failed to work on
>Wizardry disks,  even though Ultra succeeded nicely.

  The trick with the Wizardry disks is that they are formatted at 8 sectors per
track instead of 9.  I got around this problem by formatting a DS/DD disk as
320k and put dos on it.  Boot from this new disk.  Now you can use whatever
sector editor you want Norton, PC-Tools, etc. with no trouble.

	- Mark

--
Spoken: Mark A. Schleifer
Domain: marks@umiacs.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!umiacs!marks