[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] problem with stargoose sg.zoo

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (12/21/90)

> ccy@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>
> UUDECODE of the 3 stargoose files led to an error.  LOOZ of the
> incomplete SG.zoo file was hung up at the file intro.x.
> Download at your own risk.  Message is sent to originator of the
> program.

It works fine, you must be doing something wrong. I've uudecoded it using a
completely brain-dead one, and a more intelligent one on my home computer. Both
copies worked perfectly.

Jordan.
-------
Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
UUCP: a516@mindlink.UUCP
"So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee, 'cause the roles bein'
offered don't strike me, as nothing the black man can use to learn,
BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN" - Public Enemy "Burn Hollywood Burn"

ccy@po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) (12/22/90)

--
C. Cho Yue                                  ccy%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm.bitnet
Dept of Medicine                            ccy@po.cwru.edu

cpp@cci632.UUCP (Carl P. Petito) (12/23/90)

Stargoose unpacked fine; runs fine for me; great game for the kids (I
can't handle these kinds of games :-)

But... I have found that my system clock runs about 3 times faster then it
should after quitting the game.  Anyone else have this problem?

It's a pretty nice game; I'm surprised this was overlooked.  The test I ran:
check the real time 10 seconds apart - ok; run goose and quit during the
startup banner; check the real time 10 seconds apart - ~30 seconds had
ticked off.  I know time flies, but ....

I'd appreciate someone sending me info on the timer i/o port and
appropriate values to reset the system timer for an xt class machine.
It'd save having to reboot the machine every time the kids are done playing.

Carl Petito

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec22.022603.7371@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ccy@po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) writes:

>UUDECODE of the 3 stargoose files led to an error.  LOOZ of the
>incomplete SG.zoo file was hung up at the file intro.x.
>Download at your own risk.  Message is sent to originator of the
>program.

I used zoo.exe available from cica.cica.indiana.edu and had no trouble with
sg.zoo.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (12/25/90)

In article <45283@cci632.UUCP> cpp@cci632.UUCP (Carl P. Petito) writes:

>Stargoose unpacked fine; runs fine for me; great game for the kids (I
>can't handle these kinds of games :-)
>
>But... I have found that my system clock runs about 3 times faster then it
>should after quitting the game.  Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have had this problem with Stargoose all along - I've been playing it
for several months.  This is why I downloaded this version - I had hoped it
was a later release that solved this problem.  No such luck!

I am running it on a 16 mHz 286 machine and it's real irritating to watch the
system clock running at about 3-5 times the normal speed.  I'd appreciate any
hints or suggestions that would save me from rebooting the machine after every
time I play Stargoose.  Thanks in advance.

>Carl Petito

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/26/90)

In article <1990Dec22.022603.7371@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, ccy@po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) says:

>UUDECODE of the 3 stargoose files led to an error.  LOOZ of the
>incomplete SG.zoo file was hung up at the file intro.x.
>Download at your own risk.  Message is sent to originator of the
>program.
>
>--
>C. Cho Yue                                  ccy%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm.bitnet
>Dept of Medicine                            ccy@po.cwru.edu
>CWRU at MetroHealth Medical Center
>3395 Scranton Rd., Cleveland, OH 44109

I got my copy ok... Nice program...

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (01/03/91)

I would also find information on the clock to be of interest.  I set Stargoose
up for my daughter over the holidays and found the same problem with the
clock interval being reset--which at first led to some joy to my daughter
with some other games and then complaints because she couldn't keep up with
the new game speeds.  She now has learned where the reset button is located.

Merton

In article <1991Jan2.172102.956@wlbr.imsd.contel.com> mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM.UUCP (Merton Campbell Crockett) writes:
| I would also find information on the clock to be of interest.

  A fix program for sg has been received and will be posted shortly.
Because this is a fix I will bump it near the top of the queue to get it
in this volume.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (01/05/91)

I have seen several requests about the format of the documentation file.
There have been no answers.  Doesn't anybody know?