[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Autoexec/Config batch changer

joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) (01/04/91)

I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?

Thanx,
	jb

     *******
joshua@tc-fluke.COM
John LaRue
John Fluke Mfg. Co
PO Box C9090 (m/s 116a)
Everett WA 98206
(206) 356-5753

--
    John LaRue            John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.             (206) 356-5753
    joshua@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!joshua

johnh@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (John Harris) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?

One I tried was called "BOOT.COM" and was available at SIMTEL.  It was
loaded in config.sys then paused for user input as to how to boot up.
Depending on the choice, you could have different routines in both config.sys
and autoexec.bat.  I used it for a while and it worked ok for me, but for some
unknown reason I stopped using it.

If going to SIMTEL is not in your bag of tricks, perhaps I can dig it up.

John.

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?

Here is what I use:

---------- \batch\boot.bat ----------

@echo off

:start
if "_%1" == "_" goto sayit
if not exist \boot\%1\autoexec.bat goto error
if not exist \boot\%1\config.sys goto error
copy \boot\%1\autoexec.bat \ >nul
copy \boot\%1\config.sys \ >nul
if "_%2" == "_next" goto done
echo last boot was %1 >\boot\lastboot.txt
reboot
echo ERROR - reboot failed
goto done

:sayit
type \boot\lastboot.txt
goto done

:error
echo %0 %1:  ERROR
goto done

:done

------------- debug script reboot.dbg to create \bin\reboot.com -----------

a 100
MOV	SI,0080                           ;point at command tail
MOV	CX,[SI]                           ;get the length
XOR	CH,CH                             ;check if it was zero
JCXZ	0115                              ;if so, jmp
INC	SI                                ;else get first char of arg 1
INC	SI
MOV	AL,[SI]                           ;into al
CMP	AL,43                             ;was is "C"?
JZ	011A                              ;if so, jmp
CMP	AL,63                             ;was it "c"?
JZ	011A                              ;if so, jmp
MOV	BX,1234                           ;set bx to magic number 1234 hex
JMP	011F                              ;and jmp
MOV	BX,7F7F                           ;else set bx to non-magic number
MOV	AX,0040
MOV	DS,AX
MOV	[0072],BX                         ;store bx in 0040:0072
JMP	FFFF:0000                         ;and reboot

n reboot.com
r bx
0
r cx
2b
w cs:100

------------ that's all ---------------

First, say "reboot <reboot.dbg".

Then create a subdirectory \boot
Then create \boot\xxx where \xxx is each configuration
Then put appropriate autoexec.bat and config.sys files in each \boot\xxx

Then type "boot xxx" to boot configuration xxx immediately
Or type "reboot xxx next" to boot configuration xxx at the next boot
Or type "boot" to find out what configuration you booted last.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

powersd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (POWERS DENISON C) (01/04/91)

The best program I've seen to manage multiple autoexec.bat and config.sys
files is called reset.com (the package is called RESET12.ZIP). You keep a
directory called BOOT that contains text files for each alternate boot
configuration. To use them, you type "reset <name>," where "name" is a
named pair of autoexec and config files. I keep about 10 different ones,
and change them as needed.  The actual .com file is only  1560 bytes, and
the text files take up very little room.  A great utility!  I've seen it at
U. Washington archives.

|| Denny Powers               ||  "I'm gon' get deep down in this connection  ||
|| U. of Colorado, Boulder    ||    keep on tanglin' with your wires          ||

gt2341c@prism.gatech.EDU (Webb Roberts) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?

I suppose you could use someone else's executable to do that, but I prefer
to do it myself...

This is a batch file that I use to control my autoexec.bat's and
config.sys's.  It uses bmenu54.zip, available from simtel20 and wuarchive,
but I suppose that you could use anything similar.

I keep all of my autoexec.bat's and config.sys's uniquely named in
c:\dat\cnf\, and just use this program (from anywhere) to swap them.

I suppose you could also use an external utility to reboot the system after
the batch file was finished (but I prefer to do that myself).

@echo off
bmenu 5 5 -7 7 15 "System to install" 4Dos Dos "Waffle local" "Waffle BBS" DESQview "Waffle DESQview"
if errorlevel 6 goto wafdv
if errorlevel 5 goto dv
[etc...etc...]
if errorlevel 1 goto 4dos
goto end
:wafdv
   copy c:\dat\cnf\wafdv.bat c:\autoexec.bat
   copy c:\dat\cnf\wafdv.sys c:\config.sys
   goto end
:dv
   copy c:\dat\cnf\dv.bat c:\autoexec.bat
   copy c:\dat\cnf\dv.sys c:\config.sys
   goto end
[etc...etc...]
:4dos
   copy c:\dat\cnf\4dos.bat c:\autoexec.bat
   copy c:\dat\cnf\4dos.sys c:\config.sys
   goto end
:end
--
Good evening, and welcome to the Arthur Ludlow Memorial Baths, Newport,
for this year's finals of the All-England Summarize Proust Competitition.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?
:

Several netters have already given useful information on this.  Let
me add one thought, which only applies to autoexec.bat, but not
config.sys.  You can direct your choices in the autoexec.bat by
using a batch enhancer which allows branching.  It is most often
called ASK, and there are practically a countless number of them
available (mine in included in /pc/ts/tsbat23.arc).  Coupled with
e.g. a suitable ramdisk facility (such that is not in config.sys)
you can choose the size of ramdisk at boot time.  And many other
similar applications could be found.

Note, however, that the config.sys configuration is the more
relevant in this question, and the information I put forward here is
only marginal.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.152751.16630@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) replies:
>... You can direct your choices in the autoexec.bat by
>using a batch enhancer which allows branching.  It is most often
>called ASK, and there are practically a countless number of them
>Note, however, that the config.sys configuration is the more
>relevant in this question, and the information I put forward here is
>only marginal.

There is a utility which was published in the November ??, 1989 issue of PC
Magazine about a utility called CONFIG.CTL which gives you control over what
gets loaded at boot time in config.sys.  I pulled it off the PC MagNet the
other day and I like it.  You may be able to find it on Simtel 20.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail:                   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (01/06/91)

I have, on my PC at home, a program I downloaded from a local board called
AUTOCON.ZIP which purports to be able to shuffle up to 60 or 80 pairs
of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files for those who want to be able to run
their PCs in more than one environment setting easily.  You can e-mail me
if interested, and if there is enough response, I will upload it to the
/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS directory of the wuarchive.wustl.edu anonymous ftp site.

Note:  I have yet to use this program, so I do not know if what it's
documentation says about it is accurate.  All I know is that all the files
in the AUTOCON archive are free of all the virii that McAfee's SCANV72 can
find.

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (01/06/91)

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) writes:

>>In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:
>>>
>>>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>>>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS.

A compiled program is really overkill for this task.  I have a
batchfile which does the job quickly and conveniently, with no
practical limit on the number of different configurations it can
manage (the real limit is something like 256^3).  The only external
program it uses is a little 100-byte number which reboots the machine.

Copies on request.

--richard

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/06/91)

>In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:
>>
>>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS.

In article <1991Jan4.152751.16630@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) replies:
>... You can direct your choices in the autoexec.bat by
>using a batch enhancer which allows branching.  It is most often
>called ASK, and there are practically a countless number of them
>Note, however, that the config.sys configuration is the more
>relevant in this question, and the information I put forward here is
>only marginal.

I'm experimenting with BOOT.SYS, a program written in 1989 by Hans
Salvisberg.  (It's in the SIMTEL archives. PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>BOOT11.ARC)
  So far, it appears to be the precise utility I've been looking for:  a
program that can start the computer from any of several different versions
of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, without having to reboot the computer in
the modified setup.  I didn't like the idea of a bunch of different CONFIG
and AUTOEXEC files cluttering up my root directory or some sub-directory,
since they could be easily lost, discarded, or outdated.  The different
configurations are selected from a menu, which can also contain nested
menus. This program does not modify either the CONFIG or AUTOEXEC files,
but you do have to separate the setups within each file, as menu selections.
Turns the files into programs, actually.  I like it.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (01/07/91)

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) writes:

>There is a utility which was published in the November ??, 1989 issue of PC
>Magazine about a utility called CONFIG.CTL which gives you control over what
>gets loaded at boot time in config.sys.  I pulled it off the PC MagNet the
>other day and I like it.  You may be able to find it on Simtel 20.

I'd be very interested in seeing it (CONFIG.CTL)  Could you either post
it here or give a specific pointer to where it can be found?  Thanks.

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?

One possibility is the DRVINST device driver installation kit which
was recently published over CBIP.  It lets you install things like
graphic drivers and scanner drivers, etc. from the dos prompt without
rebooting.

The latest version is pub/drvins11.zoo on [129.97.128.196].

Erick

Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan3.173437.8108@tc.fluke.COM> joshua@fluke.tc.fluke.com (John) writes:

>I have heard of a utility that allows selection of various configurations
>of a system via different AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. It will select the
>correct files and reboot for you automatically depending on choices.
>Does anyone know of such a creature? Do you know where to get it?
:

Here is some further information:

autocon.zip
===========
                               A U T O C O N
                                version 1.0
                              December 6, 1989
                                    by
                               Larry Weaver

         AUTOCON is a program that will allow you to easily and quickly
         change your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files so that your
         system will boot-up with a different configuration.

boot11.zip
==========

          BOOT.SYS   -   Version 1.01
          Choose your MS-DOS system configuration with boot-up menus
          Written by Hans Salvisberg

vol7n20.zip
===========

BAT_CASE BAT
BIGGER   PAS
CONFIG   ASM
CONFIG   BAS
CONFIG   CTL
CONFIG   DOC
CURSOR   PAS
ENV720   ZIP
GETKEY   COM
MEMSIZE  PAS
PP720    ZIP
VIDEODEM PAS

CONFIG.CTL
Device Driver
Michael J. Mefford
1988 No. 20 (Utilities)
Purpose: A device driver that lets you modifiy your CONFIG.SYS file
while the system is booting up.

vol9n14.zip
===========

BAR      WPM
BAT2EXEC ZIP
CLICK    ASM
CLICK    COM
CONVERT  WQ1
RECONFIG BAT
SETCOLUM WK1
WARMBOOT COM
WC       C
WC       EXE
ZIPNGO   BAT

ECHO Name:  RECONFIG.BAT   Author:  Kerry L. Nye
ECHO *
ECHO Syntax:  RECONFIG [filespec] [?] [/h]
ECHO *
ECHO This batch file will reconfigure CONFIG.SYS to the
ECHO configuration specified in "filespec".  It copies a

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (01/09/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) writes:

>A compiled program is really overkill for this task.  I have a
>batchfile which does the job quickly and conveniently, with no
>practical limit on the number of different configurations it can
>manage (the real limit is something like 256^3).

Do you find it very practical to have 256^3 different configuration
files? When I want to switch ram-disk, disk cache, mouse driver,
two different ansi-drivers and some other stuff on and off
independently I need to have 2^8 = 256 different files.
When I want to change a little bit in all of them this takes me
at least an hour.

My program needs only one CONFIG.SYS and one AUTOEXEC.BAT. It works by
defining switches that can be set on and off in a little menu.
It then writes your CONFIG.SYS that corresponds to your switch
settings and tells them to AUTOEXEC too. If someone is interested
in this program I can mail it as xxencoded zip. I plan to
send it to simtel if there is some interest.

>The only external
>program it uses is a little 100-byte number which reboots the machine.

This can be done with 5 bytes.

>Copies on request.

Copies on request but please note: it's xxencode, not uuencode!
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany
Bitnet : HAKL@DFRRUF1, Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
X.400  : G=klaus;S=hartnegg;OU=ibm;OU=ruf;P=uni-freiburg;A=dbp;C=de

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (01/10/91)

In article <valley.663197539@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (I) wrote:
>
>>There is a utility which was published in the November ??, 1989 issue of PC
>>Magazine about a utility called CONFIG.CTL which gives you control over what
>>gets loaded at boot time in config.sys.  I pulled it off the PC MagNet the
>>other day and I like it.  You may be able to find it on Simtel 20.
>
>I'd be very interested in seeing it (CONFIG.CTL)  Could you either post
>it here or give a specific pointer to where it can be found?  Thanks.

The front pages of any PC Magazine explain how to get on the PC MagNet.  Once
on, just go to the Download menu and when it asks for a file name, just type
in CONFIG.CTL.  It takes less than 1 minute to download it.

Also, it should be on SIMTEL 20 under <MSDOS2.PCMAG>.  Try VOL7N20.ARC.