[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SIMTEL20 via RPIECS.BITNET

dave@tygra.ddmi.com (David Conrad) (01/09/91)

Oh, do I feel stupid.  Here comes a FAQ - abort now.

I used to access SIMTEL20 via the mail server at RPIECS.BITNET,
or vm.ecs.rpi.edu in Internet-style.  'Cause I don't have ftp.

Well, it's been a while since I've done so (actually just a few
weeks over vacation - shows how short my memory is), and I've
forgotten the name of the mail server.  I tried info-server, and
it says that that name is too long.  I watched for a few days,
in hopes that it would be mentioned and I wouldn't have to display
what an idiot I am to the net, but it hasn't.  So, instead of
trying every imaginable address, I'm asking here.

What's the name of the mail server at vm.ecs.rpi.edu (RPIECS.BITNET)?

(This time I'll write it down (then lose the piece of paper (NO!)))
--
David R. Conrad		dave@tygra.ddmi.com		uunet!tygra!dave
"Ask a stupid question, be stupid for five minutes.

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (01/10/91)

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11.BITNET
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN.BITNET
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI.BITNET
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11.BITNET
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11.BITNET
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1.BITNET
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011.BITNET
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM.BITNET
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN.BITNET
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11.BITNET
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11.BITNET
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1.BITNET
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I.BITNET

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (01/11/91)

In article <1909@umriscc.isc.umr.edu>, mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) writes:
>Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
>                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'
>Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly, and be right | try 'HELP'
>all the time, or not work at all, and be right twice a day.  |

Sorry, but your .sig reminds me of a story.

Once upon a time, a couple of us at MDSI in Ann Arbor wanted a compiler
generator to use overkill on a project.  We went to Al Kortesoja, the
keeper.  He gave us a little lecture on how we really didn't want to
do it that way as he was walking over to a terminal and logging into
comshare.

He tried a few things and eventually found the magic incantation that
invoked the program he was looking for.  "mumble mumble I don't
remember the syntax of this thing..." and he typed help.

I don't think I will ever be able to top this - it said, "For help,
please contact Al Kortesoja."

Are you out there, Al?

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com