[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] A bidding question

katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) (01/10/91)

IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
North is the dealer and the auction goes
N		E		S		W
2D(1)	3C		???

(1) Weak! long diamonds.

Your bid?

pblass@math.lsa.umich.edu (Piotr Blass) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.185431.1653@math.lsa.umich.edu> katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) writes:
>IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
>North is the dealer and the auction goes
>N		E		S		W
>2D(1)	3C		???
>
>(1) Weak! long diamonds.
>Your bid?

Are your opponents so weak that you give them a one card handicap?
I think your only proper 'bid' is to declare a misdeal. The director
is gonna be awful sore with you, otherwise.

Piotr

asya@ux5.lbl.gov (Asya Kamsky) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.185431.1653@math.lsa.umich.edu> katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) writes:
>IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
>North is the dealer and the auction goes
>N		E		S		W
>2D(1)	3C		???
>
>(1) Weak! long diamonds.
>
>Your bid?

I think I shall cuebid whatever suit I'm missing a card in, hoping
of course that it is the ace.

--
"She's making movies on location she don't know what it means"

Asya Kamsky			e-mail: asya@ux5.lbl.gov
(415)486-7428			other:  Lawrence Berkeley Labs, 50/232

steve@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Steve Stein) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.185431.1653@math.lsa.umich.edu> katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) writes:

>   IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
>   North is the dealer and the auction goes
>   N		E		S		W
>   2D(1)	3C		???
>
>   (1) Weak! long diamonds.
>
>   Your bid?

Five Diamonds.

Against strong opposition, I would probably bid six.

If somehow they find their heart fit, I'll compete to the six level
and double it if West is the declarer, and double any seven level
contract if I'm on lead.

- Steve Stein

doug@cm.deakin.OZ.AU (Douglas Newlands) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.185431.1653@math.lsa.umich.edu& katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) writes:
&IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
&North is the dealer and the auction goes
&N		E		S		W
&2D(1)	3C		???
&
&(1) Weak! long diamonds.
&
&Your bid?

_DIRECTOR_!!!!
			I don't have enough cards.

					doug.

envmhs@epb7.lbl.gov (Max H. Sherman) (01/10/91)

(Mordechai Katzman) writes:
|> IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
|> North is the dealer and the auction goes
|> N		E		S		W
|> 2D(1)	3C		???
|>
|> (1) Weak! long diamonds.
|>
|> Your bid?
Assuming the missing card is not critical, I would bid 3N.
If it gets passed out, we're OK.  If they whack it, I run
to 4D.  It is unlikely that they would find their H fit
and they will probably stop at 5C, which is OK w/me.
Weak pairs probably won't bid 6C; 6H does not make on a C lead.
Details depend on what a weak 2D means.

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (01/10/91)

In article <8951@dog.ee.lbl.gov> envmhs@epb7.lbl.gov (Max H. Sherman) writes:
[re Undoubtedly interesting bridge bid, if one understood bridge]

Excuse me (he said meekly), but why is this conversation cross-posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with IBM PC
bridge-bidding programs or such ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

otto@tip b1ki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (01/10/91)

In article <8951@dog.ee.lbl.gov> envmhs@epb7.lbl.gov (Max H. Sherman) writes:
[re Undoubtedly interesting bridge bid, if one understood bridge]

Excuse me (he said meekly), but why is this conversation cross-posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with IBM PC
bridge-bidding programs or such ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */
 /* Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE         */
/* * * Computers Rule 01001111 01001011 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
#! rnews 1331
From: tchrist@convex.com (Tom Christ

In article <1991Jan9.185431.1653@math.lsa.umich.edu> katzman@math.lsa.umich.edu (Mordechai Katzman) writes:
| IMPs, white on white (weak opponents) you (south) hold Jxxxx Ax Qxxxx -
| North is the dealer and the auction goes

  If there are any more bridge question posted to the PC binaries group
I'll start cross posting binaries to the bridge group. If we are forced
to share your interest I will let you share ours.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX