[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Posting artwork to the net

michaelm@vax.MCD.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (01/13/91)

A friend of mine is an artist who has taken up the electronic
easel.  She would like to make her artwork, combined with lyrics
for music (and eventually, after the hardware is more generally
available, music itself, integrated with the visuals), available
over the electronic media.  (At present, these works consist of
PC Paintbrush images with lyrics/poetry overlayed.)  Have any
such works of art been "published" over the Internet, and if so,
what would be appropriate newsgroups for these kinds of postings?
(Furthermore, what data format would such images be posted in?
I would assume the usual GIF or TIF format, uuencoded like the
scanned photographs that are posted from time to time, but which?)

Also, we probably won't do the following at first (rather we'll
post the graphic files themselves), but the artist has expressed an
interest in the future in incorporating something akin to software
shareware with her art -- i.e., distributing a restricted version
of the product having limited capabilities, with a request that
interested persons purchase the full-blown, unrestricted version
by mail.  I envision posting a program which either incorporates
images within the .EXE file, or else reads them in from encrypted
files, then allows the images to be displayed interactively at the
viewer's discretion.  However, it would not allow printing the
images, using them for wallpaper in Windows, say, etc. -- until the
interested party contacts the artist and purchases the .GIF files.

Has anyone actually done such a thing?  Also, do people here have
comments as to the suitability of proceeding in this way, or ideas
as to how this new medium for distributing art might be encouraged?

Comments welcome!

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@vax.DSD.3Com.COM (3comvax.UUCP)
3Com Corporation		ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	When that which is divine in us doth try
	To shape a face, both brain and hand unite
	To give, from a mere model frail and slight
	Life to the stone by Art's free energy.
		Michelangelo

dsp@polari.UUCP (Don Smith) (01/14/91)

In article <4110@3comvax.MCD.3Com.Com>, michaelm@vax.MCD.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) writes:

 [ background deleted ]

> Also, we probably won't do the following at first (rather we'll
> post the graphic files themselves), but the artist has expressed an
> interest in the future in incorporating something akin to software
> shareware with her art -- i.e., distributing a restricted version
> of the product having limited capabilities, with a request that
> interested persons purchase the full-blown, unrestricted version
> by mail.  I envision posting a program which either incorporates
> images within the .EXE file, or else reads them in from encrypted
> files, then allows the images to be displayed interactively at the
> viewer's discretion.  However, it would not allow printing the
> images, using them for wallpaper in Windows, say, etc. -- until the
> interested party contacts the artist and purchases the .GIF files.
>
> Has anyone actually done such a thing?  Also, do people here have
> comments as to the suitability of proceeding in this way, or ideas
> as to how this new medium for distributing art might be encouraged?
>
> Comments welcome!

  One thing to consider is her copyright ownership. If the images, text
and sound were fully available to a person who bought the software then
it may quite easy for someone to make works based in large part on what
she has done. Would she want to give up copyright ownership? Would the
"new art work" based on her's be printable now? Does Usenet feed into
countries that aren't party to the Bern Convention? ( I think so, Russia)

  I'm no attorney but cross posts to the legal group might be of help
here.

  You've got a great idea here but I think caution should be used in the
beginning.
  Although I've never seen any posts from them (maybe I'm reading the
wrong groups) I do know that an international ad agency is on the net.
Some years ago several agencies in Chicago were found to be making
several Hundred Thousands from the interest on the money owed to
freelance artists that hadn't been paid for 90, 120, 180 days.

  Like I said, it is a great. Would you be so kind as to share with us
any solutions you find?

                         Don

 dsp@polari.UUCP