[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Compressed Mode TSR for Epson MX?

tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) (01/14/91)

In article <2891@hsi86.hsi.com>, tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) writes:
> I'm looking for a TSR that will intercept an ASCII file going out
> to LPT1 and print it in compressed mode on an Epson MX printer.  A
> print filter that I would let me shove the ASCII test through and
> get compressed ASCII out would also be OK.
>
> I have ftp access so a pointer to a simtel20 archive would be good.
>
> Thanks!
> --
>
> "For every word, there is a song upon which inspiration lies ...".
> Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

What seemed to be a real problem turns out to be a problem of pure
ignorance.  Jeff Hartung provided the solution via email included
below.  It works and I included the ** line (my asterisks) in my
autoexec file.

-- Ed.

======================= email ========================================
From hartung@crl.ucsd.edu Sun Jan 13 18:34:11 1991
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 91 15:37:05 PST
From: hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung)
To: tankus@hsi86.hsi.com
Subject: Re: Compressed Mode TSR for Epson MX?
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

In article <2891@hsi86.hsi.com> you write:

 -- included article deleted.  see above --

Either I misunderstood your question, or there may be a relatively simple DOS
command and/or batch file solution to your problem.  The DOS 'MODE' command
can perform a variety of functions involving peripheral devices and ports,
including your printer.  If you type:

    **	MODE LPT1:132  **

your MX-style printer will now print 132 chars per line (i.e., 'compressed'
print) until something resets it.  If you type:

	MODE LPT1:80

your printer returns to normal (i.e., 80 chars per line).  Other parameters
are available as well.  The full syntax (for parallel printer use) is:

	MODE LPT#:n[,m][,P]

	# - 1, 2, or 3 (which parallel port)
	n - number of characters per line (80 or 132)
	m - number of lines per inch (6 or 8)
	P - if you append ",P" to the mode command, the printer signals
	    will be set to continuous retry on failure.

If you want to make sure that you have this in your print command, perhaps a
batch file such as:

	@echo off
	mode lpt1:132
	copy %1 lpt1
	mode lpt1:80

called something like 'CPRINT.BAT' would do the trick?

Hope that this helps, and I'm sorry if this is not what you were after.

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...