[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] emacs binaries for msdos wanted

kca@cbnewsc.att.com (k.c.archie) (01/10/91)

A friend at work is looking for msdos binaries for emacs.
Can anybody point me at FTP sites where it might be?
Alternatives are reliable PD software sales places or even
commercial outfits.

We have the source but hope to avoid trying to build it.
Email is best as I don't regularily read this group.
Thanks,
**kent
Kent Archie kca@cbnewsc.att.com

woan@excelsior (Ronald S Woan) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.212031.6675@cbnewsc.att.com>, kca@cbnewsc.att.com
(k.c.archie) writes:
kc> A friend at work is looking for msdos binaries for emacs.
kc> Can anybody point me at FTP sites where it might be?
kc> Alternatives are reliable PD software sales places or even
kc> commercial outfits.

Not talking about GNU EMACS, I hope... No way to get that running on
MSDOS. There is, of course, microemacs, freemacs, and jove for MSDOS
all on the Simtel archives... Commercially, you might look at Brief or
Slick for similar functionality, though not "macro" compatibility.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.234953.7232@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) writes:
>In <4722@awdprime.UUCP> woan@excelsior (Ronald S Woan) writes:
>

>>In article <1991Jan9.212031.6675@cbnewsc.att.com>, kca@cbnewsc.att.com
>>(k.c.archie) writes:
>>kc> A friend at work is looking for msdos binaries for emacs.
>>kc> Can anybody point me at FTP sites where it might be?
>>kc> Alternatives are reliable PD software sales places or even
>>kc> commercial outfits.
>
>>Not talking about GNU EMACS, I hope... No way to get that running on
>>MSDOS. There is, of course, microemacs, freemacs, and jove for MSDOS
>>all on the Simtel archives...
>
>I tried those and didn't like them---they either don't look like GNU
>Emacs at all, or have a 64K limit.  Freemacs seems like a pretty
>minimal program, missing a lot.

Hmmm... how much of a look did you give JOVE?  It is VERY much like the
emacs you are used to using on your UNIX mainframe... and maybe I've set
mine up differently than yours, but I also am limited only by the amount
of memory I have.  If you decide to try it again, let me know and I can
give you a few pointers on setting it up.

JOVE is easily configured with any key bindings you like... including
your own macros.  If you want to have the complete functionality of
emacs and still take advantage of features unique to PC's, JOVE is my
recommendation.

Good luck!

-Bruce

---------------
Bruce R. Williams                "The most beautiful thing we can experience
University of Utah                is the mysterious.  It is the source of all
(bwilliam@peruvian.utah.edu)      true art and science."  -Albert Einstein
Bruce R. Williams                "The most beautiful thing we can experience
University of Utah                is the mysterious.  It is the source of all
(bwilliam@peruvian.utah.edu)      true art and science."  -Albert Einstein

In article <1991Jan11.234953.7232@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) writes:

   In <4722@awdprime.UUCP> woan@excelsior (Ronald S Woan) writes:

   >Not talking about GNU EMACS, I hope... No way to get that running on
   >MSDOS. There is, of course, microemacs, freemacs, and jove for MSDOS
   >all on the Simtel archives...

   I tried those and didn't like them---they either don't look like GNU
   Emacs at all, or have a 64K limit.  Freemacs seems like a pretty
   minimal program, missing a lot.

Ha!  Any DOS editor is going to seem like a pretty minimal program when
you compare it to GNU Emacs.

Yes, Freemacs has a 64K limit.  But that's acceptable to a lot of people,
and it provides the best emulation of GNU Emacs available on a PC.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (01/15/91)

In <1991Jan11.234953.7232@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) writes:

>In <4722@awdprime.UUCP> woan@excelsior (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>Currently, I use Qedit.  I hacked the keyboard configuration file to
>resemble GNU Emacs.  I have the most common keys duplicated.  It
>doesn't look too much like Emacs, but it is very fast, and your file
>size is limited only by memory, which gives me some 400K.
>It is a good compromise for me.  Qedit is shareware, and can be found
>in wuarchive in mirrors/msdos/qedit.  I'll mail a copy of my keyboard
>file to anyone who wants one.

I've recieved numerous requests for the file, so I thought I'd post
it.

I haven't documented it---I've just hacked at it every time I've run
into something I could make more emacs-like, without worrying about
it.  (I hadn't intended it for public consumption.)

It does basic cursor movement (no paragraph stuff!), find and insert
file, C-K, and probably some other stuff.  What I didn't change is
left as the Qedit default.  No attempt was made to simulate the mark
and point system of emacs.  Alt is meta.

I left the MS-DOS Carriage Returns in.

%%% CUT HERE %%%
*  EMACS.DAT
*
*  Specify control-key commands via: ^f1 - This means Control-F1
*  Specify alt-key commands via: @f1     - This means Alt-F1
*  Specify shift-key commands via: #f1   - This means Shift-F1
*
*  There is also a provision for "two key commands".
*  For example, to make the Control-F1, Control-F2 sequence issue the
*  exit command, try the following:
*
*  ^f1_^f2     Exit
*
*  The key here is that the commands must be separated by a '_'.
*
*  Multiple commands and/or text may be entered for a single key.  To do so,
*  specify "MacroBegin" as the first command.  To enter text, enclose the
*  text in single or double quote marks.  For example:
*
*  f1  MacroBegin EditFile 'help.dat' Return
*
*  This command would load the file 'help.dat'.  Note the return command is
*  issued after the text.  This is required to terminate the QEdit prompt.
*
*  Following is a macro that will run make and load the results into a window:
*
*  MacroBegin EditFile 'errors.lst' Return Quit Dos 'make >errors.lst' Return Return HorizontalWindow EditFile 'errors.lst' Return
*
*  Following macro will run Turbo C on the current file:
*
*  MacroBegin GSave Dos 'tcc -y -M ' CurrentFilename Return
*
*  Finally, you can also use the scancode to represent "special keys", as
*  long as this key returns a ascii character code of 0.
*  For example Alt-F9 returns an ascii character of 0 and a scan code of
*  112 decimal.  To make Alt-F9 issue the EditFile command, you could:
*
*  112  EditFile
*      or
*  @f9  EditFile
*
*  Either will work.  This becomes especially useful if you have a macro
*  processor and/or special keyboard that has extended keys that QEdit
*  doesn't have names for.  This gives you a method to use them.
*
*  Note that the order of this file is NOT important.  Arrange it however
*  makes sense to you.
*

*
* function key set
*

f1               QuickHelp
f2               AddLine
f3               GPQuit
f4               DupLine
f5               MakeTopOfScreen
f6               DelToEol
f7               MarkBlockBegin
f8               MarkBlockEnd
f9               Shell
f10

* enhanced keyboard only
f11
f12

#f1              ToggleBoxDraw
#f2
#f3              Sort
#f4
#f5              MakeCtrOfScreen
#f6
#f7              ShiftLeft
#f8              ShiftRight
#f9
#f10

* enhanced keyboard only
#f11
#f12

^f1              ToggleEGA43
^f2
^f3
^f4
^f5
^f6
^f7
^f8
^f9
^f10

* enhanced keyboard only
^f11
^f12

@f1              ToggleBoxType
@f2              InsertLine
@f3              Match
@f4
@f5              ScreenLeft
@f6              ScreenRight
@f7
@f8
@f9              Dos
@f10             ShowEntryScreen

* enhanced keyboard only
@f11
@f12

*
* special keys
*

cursorup         CursorUp
cursordown       CursorDown
cursorleft       CursorLeft
cursorright      CursorRight
^cursorleft      WordLeft
^cursorright     WordRight
^home            BegScreen
^end             EndScreen
pgup             PageUp
pgdn             PageDown
end              EndFile
home             BegFile

#tab             TabLt
tab              TabRt

ins              ToggleInsert
del              DelCh

backspace        Backspace
@backspace       DelLtWord

enter            Return
^enter           ExecuteScrap

escape           Escape

^grey*            Paste
^grey+            Copy
^grey-            Cut
#del
#ins
`
~
/

^prtsc           PasteOver
^2
^6
^[
^\
*
* Macro to edit the file whose name is sitting at the cursor in the editor
*
^]                 MacroBegin AltWordSet MarkWord Copy DefaultWordSet EditFile Paste Return
^-                 GetPrev

*
* alternate keys
*

@a               DropAnchor
@q               WrapPara
@c               CopyBlock
@d               DelLine
^x_^f               EditFile
@f               MacroBegin MainMenu 'f'
@g               DeleteBlock
@h               QuickHelp
@i               ToggleTabsOut
@j               JoinLine
@k               MarkColumn
@l               MarkLine
@m               MoveBlock
@n               NextFile
@o               ChangeFilename
@p               MacroBegin MainMenu 'p'
@r               ReadBlock
@s               SplitLine
@t
@u               UnmarkBlock
@v               ToggleTabsExpand
@w               WriteBlock
@x               GExit
@y               GSave
@z               CopyOverBlock
@1               Upper
@2               Lower
@3               Flip
@4
@5
@6
@7
@8
@9
@0
@-
@=               MacroBegin MarkWord Copy Find Paste Return Return

*
* control keys
*

@b               WordLeft
^b_a             AppendScrBuff
^b_l             GetScrBuff
^b_s             StoreScrBuff
^v               PageDown
^f               CursorRight
^p               CursorUp
@f               WordRight
^d               DelCh
^h               Backspace
^i               TabRt
@j               GotoLine
* ^k_b             MarkBlockBegin
* ^k_c             CopyBlock
* ^k_d             Exit
* ^k_e             EditFile
* ^k_f             ChangeFilename
* ^k_h             UnmarkBlock
* ^k_k             MarkBlockEnd
* ^k_l             FillBlock
* ^k_n             NextFile
* ^k_p             PrevFile
* ^k_q             PQuit
^x_i             ReadBlock
^x_^s             SaveFile
^k_t             MarkWord
^k_v             MoveBlock
^k_w             WriteBlock
^x_^c             File
^w               DeleteBlock
^k_z             KillFile
^l               RepeatFind
^m               MacroRecord
^n               SplitLine
^o_c             CloseWindow
^o_g             GrowWindow
^o_h             HorizontalWindow
^o_l             SetPrintLeftMargin
^o_n             NextWindow
^o_o             OneWindow
^o_p             PrevWindow
^o_r             SetRMargin
^o_s             ShrinkWindow
^o_t             CenterLine
^o_w             ToggleWordWrap
^o_z             ZoomWindow
^q               Literal
^q_a             FindReplace
^q_b             GotoBlockBeg
^e               EndLine
^q_e             BegScreen
^s               Find
^q_i             ToggleIndent
^q_k             GotoBlockEnd
^q_l             UndoCursorline
^q_p             PrevPosition
^q_q             RepeatCmd
^a               BegLine
^q_t             ToggleSmartTabs
^q_x             EndScreen
^q_y             DelToEol
@v               PageUp
^b               CursorLeft
@d               DelRtWord
^y               UnKill
^n               CursorDown
^k               MacroBegin DropAnchor Endline CursorLeft DropAnchor DeleteBlock
^z               ScrollDown

*
* other enhanced only keys
*
@'
@,
@.
@/
@;
@[
@\
@]
@`
@backspace
@enter
@escape
@grey*
@grey+
@grey-
@grey/
@greycursordown
@greycursorleft
@greycursorright
@greycursorup
@greydel
@greyend
@greyhome
@greyins
@greypgdn
@greypgup
@greyenter
@tab

greyenter        Return
^greyenter       ExecuteScrap
^centercursor
^cursordown      LineDown
^cursorup        LineUp
^del

^grey*
^grey+
^grey-
^grey/
^ins
^tab

grey+
grey-
grey*

centercursor

--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)