[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Trouble with Telix ZMODEM

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.183642.19577@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
>I think I'm having a problem with ZMODEM and/or Telix.  When I use
>sz on my Unix machine and receive the file with Telix, the file modification
>time on the PC end is set to five hours later than the Unix file time.
>WHY????????
>--
>Kevin Routh (routh@rtp.semi.harris.com)
>Harris Corporation, Durham, NC
>(919) 361-1622

This is a guess, but the circumstantial evidence is pretty good:

Durham, NC is in the Eastern time zone. That is GMT -5 hours (midnight GMT
is 7 pm EST). So, I bet your Unix system stores the dates in GMT, and knows
that you are in EST, and subtracts five hours from the time. When you
download the files to your PC, it takes the absolute time. Your PC knows
nothing about time zones, so the file time is GMT, or +5 hours from what it
"should" be.

Again, this is only a guess -- the five hours could just be a coincidence.

--Erik
--
      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.183642.19577@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
-I think I'm having a problem with ZMODEM and/or Telix.  When I use
-sz on my Unix machine and receive the file with Telix, the file modification
-time on the PC end is set to five hours later than the Unix file time.
-WHY????????

The YMODEM and ZMODEM protocols specify that the time be expressed in
TAR format octal representation of standard Unix time (GMT).  DSZ, ZCOMM,
and Professional-YAM support this standard; apparently Telix does not.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.183642.19577@mlb.semi.harris.com> routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) writes:
>I think I'm having a problem with ZMODEM and/or Telix.  When I use
>sz on my Unix machine and receive the file with Telix, the file modification
>time on the PC end is set to five hours later than the Unix file time.

This is obviosly a feature of ZModem having to do with the GMT
conversion.  It is not a feature of Telix, per se, and it occurs
with other telecomm progs, as well.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

ssenkere@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (<Scimitar>) (01/16/91)

|--I think I'm having a problem with ZMODEM and/or Telix.  When I use
|--sz on my Unix machine and receive the file with Telix, the file modification
|--time on the PC end is set to five hours later than the Unix file time.

Well... I cant aswser as to why Zmodem isnt working... but I use Telix
everyday... and have had NO problems using Y-Modem.  Just use 'sb' from
Unix... at least this is much better than Kermit.  And quite comparable,
in my opinion, to Zmodem.

ssenkere@polyslo.calpoly.edu  |  I go to parties, sometimes until 4.
ssenkere@demeter.calpoly.edu  |  Its hard to leave, when you cant find the door