[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZMAX

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (01/05/91)

I have just downloaded zmax and it seems there are some files
mising (*.h files). I'd like to be able to compile it on our
unix box or Suns and use it instead of kermit (or Zmodem ..
after reading the included mails)

-- budi

mark@cat.de (Mark Neubauer) (01/16/91)

Budi Rahardjo (rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca) schrieb am  4. 1.:
> I have just downloaded zmax and it seems there are some files
> mising (*.h files). I'd like to be able to compile it on our
> unix box or Suns and use it instead of kermit (or Zmodem ..

I haven't seen any follow-ups on this - did I miss something? I'd also like to
compile it under UNIX and DOS, but - apart from some *.h missing - the
included source is *far* from being portable - is there another version for
unix?

Thanks for hints...

---
  Mark Neubauer (mark@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt, Germany

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (01/16/91)

mark@cat.de (Mark Neubauer) writes:

> Budi Rahardjo (rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca) schrieb am  4. 1.:

> > I have just downloaded zmax and it seems there are some files
> > mising (*.h files). I'd like to be able to compile it on our
> > unix box or Suns and use it instead of kermit (or Zmodem ..

> I haven't seen any follow-ups on this - did I miss something? I'd also like t
> compile it under UNIX and DOS, but - apart from some *.h missing - the
> included source is *far* from being portable - is there another version for
> unix?

While ZMAX offers source code that is publically-usable, it was written
as part of a proprietary protocol--a superset of ZMODEM, as it were.  In
this manner, it is not complete source, and as of the last time I spoke
with the author (Mike Bryeans), the complete source would not be released.
It was also intended to be MS-DOS specific, and I think that would be
evident in the missing files.  When I first contacted Bryeans, I asked
him to put together source for ZMODEM and release it to the public domain;
what was released was short of what I thought he was GOING to release.  The
next time I get together with him, I'll see what gives.

Not being a C programmer, I don't know how difficult it would be to
extrapolate the missing parts from what is provided, with the rz/sz
source from Forsberg to obtain a working model.

I don't think anything's sacred about ZMODEM.  The source code from
BinkleyTerm 2.40 also offers suggestions for a ZMODEM implementation.
When the Unix port is released, I think we'll see some new things in
this field.