[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Fractint GIF output problem

tbt@polari.UUCP (Tom Talbott) (01/17/91)

In article <1746@hslrswi.hasler.ascom.ch> jean@pogo.UUCP () writes:
>I have produced several fractal pictures (as GIF files) (EGA and
>Video 640/400 with different MAP files - goodega is nice) and I
>can view them using CSHOW.EXE (Jan90). I use FRACTINT.EXE 15.1.
>
>Unfortunately I cannot convert them to ilbm (Amiga IFF) using
>ALCHEMY.EXE or even giftoppm (on SUN): both produce an error
>when reading the GIF files.

I believe that FRACTINT 15.1 uses the new GIF standard (gif89a).  If this is
so, you will not be able to use older GIF converters until they are upgraded
to the new standard.

Look at the file with a text editor.  If the first 6 characters are "gif89a"
then that is your problem.  CSHOW uses the new standard so it doesn't have
the problem.  CompuServe is the best place to keep up on this stuff since
they are the ones who maintain the standard.

-Tom

 reply to: Tom Talbott             | uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tbt