[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ATI video board mouse

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/16/91)

In an article ccw@slee02.srl.ford.com (Chris Warren) wrote:
>   Is the connecter on the ATI card compatible with any of the track ball
>devices on the market? It looks a lot like the IBM PS/2 mouse connecter, but is
>it the same?

I am using my ATI mouse port with a Logitech Bus mouse plugged in, and I am
using the mouse from ATI plugged into my Logitech Bus board on another system.
The hardware seems to be compatible.

However the software to use may not be very compatible with a different
device.  I am using the Logitech driver with the Logitech mouse on the ATI
board.  But on the Logitech board, it turns out that a Microsoft mouse
driver works better with the ATI mouse.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I belive the mouse port on the ATI
board is the same thing as an Intel InPort generic mouse port.  So assuming
that the track balls also use this port, they should work.  Is a PS/2 mouse
port the same thing?

--
John Dudeck                                        "Communication systems are
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                              inherently complex".

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (01/16/91)

In <33186@fmsrl7.UUCP> ccw@slee02.srl.ford.com (Chris Warren) writes:

>I have been considering getting a track ball input device for my AT clone.
>I currently have the mouse supplied with the ATI wonder video card. My
>question is:

>   Is the connecter on the ATI card compatible with any of the track ball
>devices on the market? It looks a lot like the IBM PS/2 mouse connecter, but is
>it the same?

It works fine with my Logitech HiREZ and it's drivers, so I assume
that all bus mouse ports are the same, although I'de be surprised if
the PS/2 wasn't different.  I don't claim to be an expert on this.
--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)

35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gord Nickerson) (01/18/91)