[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] uncompress, compress Unix format for Msdos

dove@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel L Dove) (01/16/91)

	Hello, I'm looking for a compress, uncompress utility that

will allow me to create, undo Unix .Z compressed files. Any ideas?

		Thanks in Advance

			Dan Dare

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (01/16/91)

U16PC.ARC    PD1:<MSDOS.C>       'C' language source for 'uncompress' for PC
COMP430D.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat
COMPRESS.C   PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Unix-compatible compress/uncompress
COMPRESS.DOC PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Doc for COMPRESS.C
COMPRESS.MAK PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Makefile for COMPRESS.C
COMPRESS.TQT PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Part of COMPRESS.C
COMPRS12.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Unix-compatible compress/uncompress - 12 bit
COMPRS16.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Unix-compatible compress/uncompress - 16 bit
DECOMP2.ZIP  PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>  Unix-compatible 16 bit uncompress, w/C source
COMPRS12.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C> Unix-compatible compress/uncompress - 12 bit

(* I use comp430d.zip myself *)

These are all available at simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory
listed above (PD1:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )  or at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4)
in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx.

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11.BITNET
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN.BITNET
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI.BITNET
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11.BITNET
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11.BITNET
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1.BITNET
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011.BITNET
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM.BITNET
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN.BITNET
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11.BITNET
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11.BITNET
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1.BITNET
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I.BITNET

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/16/91)

dove@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel L Dove) writes:
> Hello, I'm looking for a compress, uncompress utility that
>will allow me to create, undo Unix .Z compressed files. Any ideas?

The MS-DOS version from the author of the official Unix compress and
uncompress is available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74] and
the mirror at wuarchive.wustl.edu.

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
COMP430D.ZIP  B   20241  901013  Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat

This file is also available from Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)

ceb@csli.Stanford.EDU (Charles Buckley) (01/19/91)

   From: w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen)
   Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d,comp.sources.wanted

   dove@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel L Dove) writes:
   > Hello, I'm looking for a compress, uncompress utility that
   >will allow me to create, undo Unix .Z compressed files. Any ideas?

   The MS-DOS version from the author of the official Unix compress and
   uncompress is available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74] and
   the mirror at wuarchive.wustl.edu.

Is this the one that hooks multiple files back together automatically
and allows you to set the translation table?  That's essential when
you're dealing with files encoded in Europe or some place where they
use only 99.44% pure ASCII.