   (Keith Petersen) writes:

      From: w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen)
      Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d,comp.sources.wanted

      dove@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daniel L Dove) writes:
      > Hello, I'm looking for a compress, uncompress utility that
      >will allow me to create, undo Unix .Z compressed files. Any ideas?

      The MS-DOS version from the author of the official Unix compress and
      uncompress is available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74] and
      the mirror at wuarchive.wustl.edu.

   Is this the one that hooks multiple files back together automatically
   and allows you to set the translation table?  That's essential when
   you're dealing with files encoded in Europe or some place where they
   use only 99.44% pure ASCII.

I backed up one too far (or too little) and replied to the wrong
message.  I was referring to a message about shareware
uuencode/decode.  Compress/uncompress is based on LZ, and is binary in
encoded form, of course.

I have c sources for a uuencode suite which does what I asked about,
and if the ones at the archives are not these, it might do to get them
changed out.