[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Telix with 2 monitors?

jmd@ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (01/17/91)

In article <1957@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> I wrote:
>I recently upgraded my video to SVGA.  I left the hercules board in place
>because it is also my parallel port.  With both boards installed (haven't
>yet tried with just the VGA board) Telix locks up on some menus -- ones
>requiring typing.

I've since tested it without the hercules board in place.  The problem is
the same -- menus that require arbitrary typing cause the machine to lock
up.

>                   Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Telix is
>version 3.12, the VGA board from BOCA (Tseng chipset),

The VGA has 512K installed (1M max), and I'm running it in 640x480 (43x80)
mode, altho I've tried it in other modes with the same responce.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |

roeve@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Roevenich) (01/22/91)

jmd@ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) writes:

>In article <1991Jan17.143548.5771@world.std.com> jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) writes:
>>[I write:]
>>>...[with 2 video cards] Telix locks up on some menus -- ones requiring
>>>typing.  I've since tested it without the hercules board in place.  The
>>>problem is the same.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Telix is

>...work with the hercules setup (before I got VGA).  Then I installed the VGA
>board (no other changes) and it stopped working.  Coincidence?  It's
>possible, but I don't know what else to suspect.  The only thing I can
>figure is there is a bug in either Telix or the BOCA ROMs.  What version of
>ROMs do you have?  I'll have to check mine -- I don't know off hand.

You might experience some trouble which are caused by the fact, that most
16-Bit-Expansion-Boards check whether the ROM-BIOS of your Computer is
addressable in a 16-Bit-manner or only in 8-Bit. Some Mainboards do not
report correctly, that the ROM is ONLY 8-Bit. Therefore, 16-Bit-Accesses
to it will casually lock up the machine. You can easily test it out by
moving your VGA-Card into a 8-Bit-Slot. If everything works perfectly then,
you found it. On most VGA-Cards is a Jumper where you can fix the 8 vs. 16-Bit
ROM-Access.

Hope it helps

Michael

Michael Roevenich