[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] More ZMODEM discussion

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (01/22/91)

I am, perhaps, abusing the real purpose of this group, but I've seen
alot of discussion lately concerning DSZ.  I am trying to get it working
correctly online to a Sun running SunOS.  I can transfer files but at the
cost of LOTS of transmission errors.  I am getting consistent error
messages from dsz:
	At byte 3072 - subpacket too long
	at byte 7168 - subpacket too long
	at byte 11264 - bad CRC

with the occaisional "garbled data packet" thrown in.  It is very difficult
for me to believe that this is due to noise.

   Just to include all the relevant info:
	386 DOS machine,
	Practical Peripherals 2400baud MNP5 modem
	MNP5 connection with UNIX machine
	Problems occur in standalone, called from Kermit, called from Procomm+

Email would be good, but I'll also try to keep up with this group.

Thanks a bunch, sorry for the abuse!
--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (01/23/91)

In article <6804@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) writes:
>I am, perhaps, abusing the real purpose of this group, but I've seen
>alot of discussion lately concerning DSZ.  I am trying to get it working
>correctly online to a Sun running SunOS.  I can transfer files but at the
>cost of LOTS of transmission errors.  I am getting consistent error
>messages from dsz:
>	At byte 3072 - subpacket too long
>	at byte 7168 - subpacket too long
>	at byte 11264 - bad CRC
>
>with the occaisional "garbled data packet" thrown in.  It is very difficult
>for me to believe that this is due to noise.
>
>   Just to include all the relevant info:
>	386 DOS machine,
>	Practical Peripherals 2400baud MNP5 modem
>	MNP5 connection with UNIX machine
>	Problems occur in standalone, called from Kermit, called from Procomm+
>
>Email would be good, but I'll also try to keep up with this group.
>
>Thanks a bunch, sorry for the abuse!

You will see these problems if you don't have a 'true' binary line end to
end.  The problem might go away if you use 'sz -e' on the sending side.  This
will escape all control characters, instead of just the ones zmodem cares
about.

A major problem comes from the unix side of the transfer not successfully
getting the tty device set fully raw.  Since this is a non-portable operation,
look at the source code where the port gets set.  If all else fails, you can
use the code that does a

		system("stty raw");

in order to raw the port.

Another problem that I've never solved is that the sending side is supposed
to sample the receive channel after each sub-packet to see if a packet has
been nacked.  This mechanism works as advertised between two DOS machines; but
if you get a packet error when talking to a Unix machine, it can sometimes take
30 seconds to resync and back up.

--
             Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
"'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (01/23/91)

I don't like to tout commercial products, but I just received an ad from
DataStorm to upgrade to ProComm+ 2.0.  One of the features (and the
first mentioned, BTW :-) is ZMODEM built into the package.  It also
includes Win3 and mouse interface.

For the many of you (and myself) that have struggled to try external
ZMODEM with PC+, this is certainly good news.  For Mr. DSZ at Omen
Technologies, this is certainly bad news (but I'm not shedding any
tears.)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/24/91)

-
-For the many of you (and myself) that have struggled to try external
-ZMODEM with PC+, this is certainly good news.

If something in your computer/modem setup prevented DSZ from
working properly, an internal ZMODEM based on old unlicensed C
sources may not work any better.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF