[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] IBM Protection Software

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) (12/17/90)

	I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
any of my roommates can use my computer at will.. I have a
'device=C:\password.sys' protection in my config.sys.. but, I need something
that will do a better job... (Plus, I lost the file to edit my password...!)

ANY information would be appreciated

)_Dennis_(
----
... D-Man! -=- WRUB Amherst 640AM -=- Dennis G. Crawford -=- SUNY Buffalo  .
..  V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU -=- CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU   ..
.   UUNET!UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU!V119L94U@UUNET.UU.NET -=- DGCRAWF@UMASS  ...
      How could something this simple turn into something this serious  ....

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (12/17/90)

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) writes:

>	I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
>unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
>any of my roommates can use my computer at will.. I have a
>'device=C:\password.sys' protection in my config.sys.. but, I need something
>that will do a better job... (Plus, I lost the file to edit my password...!)

>ANY information would be appreciated

Check out PC Valut (nee PC-LOCK) from Johnson Computer Systems, Newport News,
VA  (I don't have their phone # handy, but they are in the book).  This
is commerical ware (approx $35), but it is a good product.

julien@incal.inria.fr (Julien Maisonneuve) (12/18/90)

I remember having seen something called ADM that was a really efficient
protection system.
It was released by American Mitac, I couldn't figure out how exactly.

How it worked : It replaced your boot sector with one of its own. The
program would ask you to enter a username and password before starting
the system. A maintenance program allowed you to give a user a selective
access to the disk's partitions (so that user 1 could only access partition
1 and 2 for example), and to give none, read or read/write access.

I think it crypted the partition table to handle this. Never noticed any problem
with it though.

					Julien.

daj@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David A. Johns) (12/18/90)

#
# ----
# ... D-Man! -=- WRUB Amherst 640AM -=- Dennis G. Crawford -=- SUNY Buffalo  .
# ..  V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU -=- CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU   ..
# .   UUNET!UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU!V119L94U@UUNET.UU.NET -=- DGCRAWF@UMASS  ...
#       How could something this simple turn into something this serious  ....

How about unplugging the keyboard and locking it in a closet?

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) (12/19/90)

In article <25986@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, daj@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David A. Johns) writes...
>In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
[...original article deleted...]

>How about unplugging the keyboard and locking it in a closet?

	How about NOT.  We don't have locking closets in dorms.. sorry!  That
would be a good answer.. but, NOT!  Also, since there's a lot of people with
IBM's on the floor.. it's easy to get a keyboard.  (and, primarily it's
THEM that i want to keep out!)

)_Dennis_(
----
//.=.\\ CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU + DGCRAWFO@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU //.=.\\
......    V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU + WRUB 640am + SUNY--Buffalo    .......
......       The flames are all gone -- but the pain lingers on.        .......
\\.=.//-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=->Dennis G. Crawford<-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\\.=.//

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (12/21/90)

In article <25986@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, daj@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David A. Johns) writes:
> In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> #
> # 	I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
> # unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
> # any of my roommates can use my computer at will.. I have a
> # 'device=C:\password.sys' protection in my config.sys.. but, I need something
> # that will do a better job... (Plus, I lost the file to edit my password...!)
>
> How about unplugging the keyboard and locking it in a closet?

It's not at all difficult to bring along a spare keyboard when one
is bent on doing mischief.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

epames@eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) (12/21/90)

In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
>unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
>any of my roommates can use my computer at will.. I have a
>'device=C:\password.sys' protection in my config.sys.. but, I need something
>that will do a better job... (Plus, I lost the file to edit my password...!)

Sorry to say this but you can't protect your system with software, all
someone needs to do is bring along a floppy and boot from that. You need
hardware or bios support to prevent access. Perhaps you could use a key
switch in the power or keyboard.

Michael Salmon
L.M.Ericsson
Stockholm

system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) (12/23/90)

epames@eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) writes:

> In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writ
> >
> >	I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
> >unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
>
> Sorry to say this but you can't protect your system with software, all
> someone needs to do is bring along a floppy and boot from that. You need
> hardware or bios support to prevent access. Perhaps you could use a key
> switch in the power or keyboard.

 There is a program out called fastlock (shareware) which replaces the
boot sector of a hard disk, and even if booted from floppy, the hard
disk cannot be accessed! I since it changes the boot sector, dos
gives an error when trying to access the hard disk (I believe it says
Invalid Boot Sector, or Invalid Media Type) But it does work.

+---------------------------------+----------------------------+
|Al Oomens awol@syzzle.UUCP       | Simplicity is the ultimate |
| uunet!ddsw1!infopls!syzzle!awol | form of sophistication!    |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------+

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (12/25/90)

!>
!
!Sorry to say this but you can't protect your system with software, all
!someone needs to do is bring along a floppy and boot from that. You need
!hardware or bios support to prevent access. Perhaps you could use a key
!switch in the power or keyboard.
!
!Michael Salmon
!L.M.Ericsson
!Stockholm

Essentially true, but with some clever software you can mangle your hard disk
partition table so that if you boot from floppy your hard disk is not
recognisable unless you boot from hard disk and enter correct password.

Look at PCLOCK, available from SIMTEL20

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!sweh

lev@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Lloyd E Vancil) (01/03/91)

In article <mFamu5w163w@syzzle.UUCP> system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) writes:
> There is a program out called fastlock (shareware) which replaces the
>boot sector of a hard disk, and even if booted from floppy, the hard
>disk cannot be accessed! I since it changes the boot sector, dos
>gives an error when trying to access the hard disk (I believe it says
>Invalid Boot Sector, or Invalid Media Type) But it does work.

So dick dastardly comes in keyboard in one hand and dos disk in the other,
Boots your machine from his dos disk and types  FORMAT C:

Get some physical security.  A real keyswitch, and some way to keep the bloody
thing on the desk would be good.
L.

--
      *      suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov sun!suntzu!suned1!lev
          .                lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil        +      .

system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) (01/05/91)

lev@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:

> In article <mFamu5w163w@syzzle.UUCP> system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) wri
> > There is a program out called fastlock (shareware) which replaces the
> >boot sector of a hard disk, and even if booted from floppy, the hard
> >disk cannot be accessed! I since it changes the boot sector, dos
> >gives an error when trying to access the hard disk (I believe it says
> >Invalid Boot Sector, or Invalid Media Type) But it does work.
>
> So dick dastardly comes in keyboard in one hand and dos disk in the other,
> Boots your machine from his dos disk and types  FORMAT C:

Nope, that won't work. It would take a low level format, or at least maybe
Fdisk. I think that even if you have a key lock, someone named dick
dastardly would be able to pick the lock, or at least jumper it (since it's
really only a key switch), and then access your data! If keeping data
private is the main concern, then fastlock would be a better choice. If you
want to prevent vandalism, then a key switch, or locked cabinet etc.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (01/07/91)

lev@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:

>In article <mFamu5w163w@syzzle.UUCP> system@syzzle.UUCP (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) writes:
>> There is a program out called fastlock (shareware) which replaces the
>>boot sector of a hard disk, and even if booted from floppy, the hard
>>disk cannot be accessed! I since it changes the boot sector, dos
>>gives an error when trying to access the hard disk (I believe it says
>>Invalid Boot Sector, or Invalid Media Type) But it does work.

>So dick dastardly comes in keyboard in one hand and dos disk in the other,
>Boots your machine from his dos disk and types  FORMAT C:

Actually, D.D. (coincidentally, my initials) would have to use FDISK.
But the point is not so much to protect the machine as to protect the
data.  They can have the machine, but they can only use the hard disk by
deleting all of your stuff.  Or, to put it another way, at least if
you've been violated, you will know that it has occurred.

ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au (01/11/91)

In article <1990Dec21.094412.5704@ericsson.se>, epames@eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) writes:
> In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>
>>      I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
>>unwanted persons... Since I don't have a secure room to put my computer in,
>>any of my roommates can use my computer at will.. I have a
>>'device=C:\password.sys' protection in my config.sys.. but, I need something
>>that will do a better job... (Plus, I lost the file to edit my password...!)
>
> Sorry to say this but you can't protect your system with software, all
> someone needs to do is bring along a floppy and boot from that. You need
> hardware or bios support to prevent access. Perhaps you could use a key
> switch in the power or keyboard.
>
> Michael Salmon
> L.M.Ericsson
> Stockholm

There is a program available as a trial pack called PCLOCK21 and it is one
great program.  The registered version is even better!  It installs itself
as a device driver.  And yes, password is need at boot up, but the nice thing
is that when you try and boot from a floppy, the user will not be able to see
drive C.  No access to hard disk!  Unless booted from hard drive and entered
the password correctly.  There's another one as well which does very similar
thing, but can't remember the name.  Should be able to find the zip file in
SIMTEL-20 under sysutl directory.

Cheers
Francis Chan

CCFAC@SAIT.EDU.AU       Francis Chan
University of South Australia

patrick@blister.Solbourne.COM (Patrick Bowman) (01/12/91)

In article <27975.278c945d@nt.sait.edu.au> ccfac@nt.sait.edu.au writes:
>In article <1990Dec21.094412.5704@ericsson.se>, epames@eos.ericsson.se (Michael Salmon) writes:
>> In article <51913@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>>
>>>      I am currently looking for something that will protect my system from
>>>unwanted persons...

Sorry, I'm not replying to the original article, but this may be of interest
nonetheless.  A company I have dealt with sellsl something called "PC-Password"
or something like that.  It's about $70 (CDN, which would be about $60US),
and it's a card that you stick in your PC which requires you to put in
a password before it will boot.  They're in Canada, which will limit their
usefulness to someone in Australia, but anyway, their number is

	1-416-503-3335

Hope this helps.

david@thor.INS.CWRU.Edu (David Nerenberg) (01/16/91)

>So dick dastardly comes in keyboard in one hand and dos disk in the other,
>Boots your machine from his dos disk and types  FORMAT C:
>
>Get some physical security.  A real keyswitch, and some way to keep the bloody
>thing on the desk would be good.
>L.

OK, I am not sure this is the place or not, but since you bring up some form
of physical security...

I have a card in my PC that is a password/cop card.  It protects the machine
with a password, at boot up.  This is regardless of how the machine is desired
to be booted, after the RAM self tests, you are prompted for a password.  The
only way to not enter the password would be to pull the computer apart and
remove the card.  In my machne, I have hex type screws instead of regular
screws, but, better than that, I have security cables.  The way the cable is
installed, there is no way to get at the screws without the key to the lock of
the security cable.  Back to the card... It also has this cop feature.  If my
computer is ever stolen, it will usually end up in some warehouse somewhere,
without monitor and keyboard attached.  This is when most computers are
recovered, but how are the police to determine who this computer belonged to
when they are faced with a warehouse full?  This is the cop feature.  I have
registered my computer, and when you power up the computer without the
keyboard attached, a series of tones is played.  This is played over an
ordinary telephone to the main office, where a computer decodes the tones
as a unique serial number!  I think this is neat.

Well, if anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the people who
designed, built, and programmed the card.  I believe it is also available
without the cop feature, ie just a password card, just like real IBM and
some BIOS password protections.

							Dave
--
david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services

doron@oboe.cs.cornell.edu (Leor Doron) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan16.195045.8126@chinet.chi.il.us> ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) writes:
>If you're looking at security systems, Lattice sells a package called
>Secret Disk.  This works both on stand-alone and networked systems, and
>provides two levels of encryption (proprietary fast, and DES.)  It works
>by allocating a portion of the hard disk (or, if your needs are modest, I
>suppose you could do a floppy; there's no restriction per se) as a hidden
>file.  This file is a virtual disk, complete with FAT and directory, and
>is fully encrypted and password protected.
>Finally, the last time I checked it was around $80, which isn't unreasonable.
>This may have changed, since that was over a year ago, however.

For not much more than that (~ $100 mail order), the Norton Utilities 5.0
gives you pretty much the same thing, plus a boatload of other useful stuff.
Worth checking out, esp. if you don't already have a similar mega-utils package
(e.g. Mace, PC Tools, etc.).

--Lee

==doron@cs.cornell.edu=========================================================
= ".Sig!  .Sig a .sog!  .Sig it loud; .sig it .strog!"                        =
========= -- Karen Carpenter with a head cold =================================

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (01/25/91)

doron@oboe.cs.cornell.edu (Leor Doron) writes:

>For not much more than that (~ $100 mail order), the Norton Utilities 5.0
>gives you pretty much the same thing, plus a boatload of other useful stuff.
>Worth checking out, esp. if you don't already have a similar mega-utils package
This was not contained in my copy of the utilities. I guess this
is the program they referred to when they wrote `international
version - does not contain encryption'.
Does anybody know how to get a program that works like DISKREET
(bot does not necessarily use DES) in Europe?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany
Bitnet : HAKL@DFRRUF1, Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
X.400  : G=klaus;S=hartnegg;OU=ibm;OU=ruf;P=uni-freiburg;A=dbp;C=de