[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] VIRUS ALERT!

lev@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Lloyd E Vancil) (01/24/91)

Recieved today from my organization;
 "investigation revealed a message in the boot sector which stated "Your PC is
stoned."  Virus detection software confirmed the presence of the "Stone" virus.
Further investigation revealed it's presence on other PCs in the area with
damage to at least one hard disk drive.  A share ware program, which produces
SF-171s, appears to be the source of this virus."

This is a particularly insidious attack on government employees as the SF-171 is
the form used to apply for a government position and is required for all
applications and transfers.

--
      *      suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov sun!suntzu!suned1!lev
          .                lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil        +      .

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/24/91)

lev@suned1.UUCP (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:
>Recieved today from my organization;
>"investigation revealed a message in the boot sector which stated "Your PC is
>stoned." Virus detection software confirmed the presence of the "Stone" virus.
>Further investigation revealed it's presence on other PCs in the area with
>damage to at least one hard disk drive.  A share ware program, which produces
>SF-171s, appears to be the source of this virus."

You did not say where your organization obtained this program.  It
should be pointed out here that this file:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FORMGEN>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
SF171.ARC     B  113920  870718  Federal Employment Form generator

on SIMTEL20 is *not* infected.  I checked it with the latest version
of McAfee's SCANV.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (01/25/91)

In article <7327@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev@suned1.UUCP (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:
> "investigation revealed a message in the boot sector which stated "Your PC is
>stoned."  Virus detection software confirmed the presence of the "Stone" virus.
>Further investigation revealed it's presence on other PCs in the area with
>damage to at least one hard disk drive.  A share ware program, which produces
>SF-171s, appears to be the source of this virus."

Ehem....

The shareware program cannot be the source of the virus, as this is a boot
sector virus, which does not infect programs.  The diskette containing
the program may have been infected - but then the question is where the
diskette came from.

So - if you download your "SF-171" producing program from a BBS, SIMTEL20,
BIX etc., you are in NO danger of being infected.

-frisk

--
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion