[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] BOOT.SYS by Hans Salvisberg?

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (01/26/91)

Has anyone seen this package floating around?  It's a short utility which
allows the user to select different configurations on startup, rather than
swapping files around and rebooting, the way other utilities work.  It's
produced by a member of the ASP, so I assume it should be in a shareware
archive somewhere.  However, lookup doesn't seem to show it.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

cbrown@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Charles T Brown) (01/27/91)

In article <JMERRILL.91Jan25140513@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>Has anyone seen this package floating around?  It's a short utility which
>allows the user to select different configurations on startup, rather than
>swapping files around and rebooting, the way other utilities work.  It's
>produced by a member of the ASP, so I assume it should be in a shareware
>archive somewhere.  However, lookup doesn't seem to show it.

Yes, I have it at home.  It is version 1.10.  It is really useful!

At any rate, if you wish, I shall upload it to the archive of your
choice, or mail it to you, UUENCODED - it is easier, though, if you
have anonymous FTP!  Just let me know.  I'll upload it when I get your
message.

If anybody else wants it, I guess I'll put it up for anon ftp
at max.physics.sunysb.edu, 129.49.21.100 (I believe?), in the
receive directory.

Boot.sys, and the associated files, lets you select up to 9
configurations of your system, in both config.sys && autoexec.bat
(you use the .sys program, which sets up the menu, in your
config.sys, and then, if you want to also set up options in your
autoexec, you run the boot.com program, for the errorlevel)

>--
>Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

--Titus

--
"Never put off until tomorrow, that which can be done the day after tomorrow"
          -- C. Titus Brown, anonymous student, brown@max.physics.sunysb.edu

                UNIX is good, you say?  Which UNIX, say I!

msdos1@nic.funet.fi (Petri Hartoma - Tut) (01/27/91)

In article <JMERRILL.91Jan25140513@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>   Has anyone seen this package floating around?  It's a short utility which

Yes, I guess (because there are lot of utilities like that around)
it's DYNBOOT11.ARC, and can be found from wuarchive.wustl.edu as
/mirrors/msdos/dynboot11.arc. I tried it for a short period and it
seemed to be very convinient for its purpose. Try it, you'll like it!

&& Petri

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (01/28/91)

In article <MSDOS1.91Jan27141131@nic.funet.fi> msdos1@nic.funet.fi (Petri Hartoma - Tut) writes:
>In article <JMERRILL.91Jan25140513@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>>   Has anyone seen this package floating around?  It's a short utility which
>
>Yes, I guess (because there are lot of utilities like that around)
>it's DYNBOOT11.ARC, and can be found from wuarchive.wustl.edu as

No, that's not the same.  DynaBoot just swaps files around and reboots.
BOOT.SYS was written by Hans Salvisberg.  I believe the most current
version is 1.27 (someone sent it to me a couple of days ago), dated in
October of 1990.  Where BOOT.SYS differs from other configuration changing
programs is that it runs DURING bootup, not before.

Is it up anywhere?  I can post it to Simtel, if not...

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu