[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Windows 3.0 and Telix lockup upon connect.

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (01/30/91)

I have had a recuring problem with Windows 3.0 and Telix.
When telix connects, the computer locks up and even Ctrl-Alt-Del
will reset it.  It usually does it when I set it to dial and just let
the computer set.  As soon as it connects, the cursor sits right
after the dial timer countdown and it is locked.  If I give the computer
something else to do, however, like as litle as moving the mouse, or let
something else run in the foreground I don't seem to have the problem.

I am running a 386-25 with Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.

Also, sometimes Windows gets pretty slow with a lot of hard drive
activity.  Sometimes this happens with as little as Telix and Word
Perfect running at the same time.

I am wondering if something in the PIFS would cause this.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

scs2635@cec1.wustl.edu (Sean Starkey) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.040701.5013@hoss.unl.edu> vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:
>I have had a recuring problem with Windows 3.0 and Telix.
>When telix connects, the computer locks up and even Ctrl-Alt-Del
>will reset it.

I get a similiar problem.  Sometimes when I call my school's mainframe, using
Telix, I get a bad line.  When I get this bad line, my computer locks up,
and I need to do a cold reboot.

#    Sean Starkey   }:>    Washington University    scs2635@cec2.wustl.edu    #
#    520 Kingsland Road 2N                1761 Happ Road                      #
#    University City, MO  63130           Northbrook, IL  60062               #
#    (314) 727-4834 or 727-4529           (708) 272-2636                      #

bainbrrw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Bainbridge) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan31.051023.23016@cec1.wustl.edu>, scs2635@cec1.wustl.edu (Sean Starkey) writes:
> In article <1991Jan30.040701.5013@hoss.unl.edu> vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:
> >I have had a recuring problem with Windows 3.0 and Telix.
> >When telix connects, the computer locks up and even Ctrl-Alt-Del
> >will reset it.
>
> I get a similiar problem.  Sometimes when I call my school's mainframe, using
> Telix, I get a bad line.  When I get this bad line, my computer locks up,
> and I need to do a cold reboot.

I am also having the same problems with Telix and Windows 3.0. I am using a
DOV ( a connection device for connecting to the Purdue mainframe without
using the incoming line.) As soon as I change the com port to the DOV
everything locks up. I think it is a hardware problem as some of the above
might be. I know others that use Telix over the DOV and have no problems, so
I would say there is something funny with the hardware. Any other sugestions?

Walrus