[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] LISTSERV at RPI

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (01/31/91)

 I sent a mail to the list server at RPI with the body saying:

GET PDGET HELP PCSERV -L

And I got an error back about not being able to find the file. What did
I do wrong here???

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (01/31/91)

In article <59488@aurs01.UUCP> luce@aurw46.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:

> I sent a mail to the list server at RPI with the body saying:
>
>GET PDGET HELP PCSERV -L
                ^^^^^^^^^

Should be no space between the 'V' and the '-'.

PCSERV-L is a listserv discussion group.  Listserv's are a series of email
servers set up on BITNET.  The have discussions very similiar to those here
on usenet (many, such as rec.humor.funny.d are 'tied' together, that is, the
same things are sent out from the listservs as is posted to usenet, and some
sites carry usenet version of listserv discussions, such as the bitnet.listserv
or whatever the format is).  Listserv's, in addition to handling discussions,
can be configured to keep automatic logs of the discussions, act as an
archive for other files (both related and unrelated to the discussions), and
perform services such as RPI and NODAK do.  Listserv's are primarily used by
BITNET folx as many of them don't have acess to usenet, though most listservs
can be accessed via internet (I'm not sure if all of them know how to use
gateways or not....).  Each listserv can have many different discussions it
keeps track of, pretty much knows about all of the other listservs and what
discussions they maintain.  This way, a user can communicate with his nearest
server but be in contact with all of them.  More info can be obtained by
sending the following in the _body_ of an email message to the listserv:

HELP

nifty command, that  :->

Sorry to ramble on incoherently, but listservs are a favorite topic of mine
and I thought this info might be of some interest to people out there.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (02/01/91)

In article <59488@aurs01.UUCP> luce@aurw46.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:
> I sent a mail to the list server at RPI with the body saying:
>
>GET PDGET HELP PCSERV -L
>
>And I got an error back about not being able to find the file. What did
>I do wrong here???

Someone is giving out wrong information.  The correct command is:

GET PDGET HELP

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (212/V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis)