[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Where is "gcc" for the MSDOS?

hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) (01/22/91)

Hi,

   Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
   I prefer it to be ftpable.

   Thanks.

Alvaro,
a.hui@trl.oz.au.

	Alvaro Hui		|ACSnet,	a.hui@trl.oz.au
    4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.	|Internet &	akkh@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
   University of Melbourne	|Arpanet	rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU

morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) (01/22/91)

In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
>Hi,
>
>   Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
>   I prefer it to be ftpable.

It is. The message that follows should provide the information you
are after.
Yoshiaki Uchida's port of GNU gcc/gas/gld to MS-DOS is now available at
ocf.berkeley.edu.  Note that NO documentation is available and that this
port is still in experimental stages.  You will need an LHARC dearchiver
to access the programs.

A 80386 machine is required:  a MS-DOS extender for 386s is provided.  I
have not tested this software, so you are on your own.  It is over a
megabyte is size, so if you're not really going to use it, you might
want to think twice before you FTP it.

The Internet address for ocf.berkeley.edu is 128.32.184.254.  The files
are located in ~ftp/pub/GNU/gcc.  Also located at ocf is the entire
GNUish MS-DOS archives (high quality ports of GNU software to MS-DOS,
as conducted by Thorsten Ohl) and egaint, a rather nice Tetris game (with
full source code).

-reic
--
eric ng 1906 milvia street berkeley california 94704
..!ucbvax!irss.njit.edu!erc ...!ucbvax!radon!erc

Note: I guess the old loader didn't work correctly with DOS4.00+ so
there is a new one at the site as well as the old one.
If you can't find the stuff on ocf.berkely.edu (it might have been moved
recently), it should be on sandstrom.berkeley.edu (128.32.234.18)

--
Dave Morash
morash@ug.cs.dal.ca

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (01/23/91)

morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) writes:

>Yoshiaki Uchida's port of GNU gcc/gas/gld to MS-DOS is now available at
>ocf.berkeley.edu.  Note that NO documentation is available and that this
>port is still in experimental stages.  You will need an LHARC dearchiver
>to access the programs.

Two small points:
	1) Apparently, they prefer that you FTP to just about any other
machine besides ocf (& one other, whose name escapes me), since ocf is
their mail server.  Basically, you can FTP to *.berkeley.edu, where * is
any natural disaster, including as you point out, sandstorm, that you
can think of.  My personal favorite is locusts.
	2) Is there any newer version than the 10/10/90 version?

In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
| Hi,
|
|    Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
|    I prefer it to be ftpable.

  I just got a new version today, look for it in the near future if it's
any good. This is g++, so it's C and C++.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Tim Duncan) (01/24/91)

In <2946@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
>| Hi,
>|
>|    Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
>|    I prefer it to be ftpable.

>  I just got a new version today, look for it in the near future if it's
>any good. This is g++, so it's C and C++.
>--
>bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
>    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

An MSDOS version of g++??? Sounds really great. But what type
of hardware would it be limited to in order to run properly?

			Tim Duncan.      timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au

        	 =--------------------------------------=
        	 | "Burn the place down,                |
        	 |  make it glow like Christmas!"       |
        	 |                                H&C   |
        	 =--------------------------------------=

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) (01/25/91)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
>| Hi,
>|
>|    Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
>|    I prefer it to be ftpable.

>  I just got a new version today, look for it in the near future if it's
>any good. This is g++, so it's C and C++.

Is this for real? Or is it a cruel hoax? Or is it cruel reality?

Has gcc(++) been ported to DOS, really?  And if so, will it be acceptable
in performance - both runtime and results?

Enquiring minds want to know.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (01/25/91)

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:

>Has gcc(++) been ported to DOS, really?  And if so, will it be acceptable
>in performance - both runtime and results?

>Enquiring minds want to know.

Indeed they do.  The real question is, Does it work?
I played a bit with the 10/10/90 version, but gave up when I found
it couldn't do floating point division.

Does the new version come with any dox (particularly for the ++ part) ?

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (01/25/91)

In article <326@stiatl.UUCP> tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
>davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>
>>In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
>>|    Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
>>|    I prefer it to be ftpable.
>>  I just got a new version today, look for it in the near future if it's
>>any good. This is g++, so it's C and C++.
>Has gcc(++) been ported to DOS, really?  And if so, will it be acceptable
>in performance - both runtime and results?

I've got a copy here. I compiled XLISP with it. Both it and the generated
binaries run under 386 protected mode using a supplied "dos extender".
Compared to Metaware High-C and PharLap Dos Extender:

1. About 1% slower.
2. Fewer DOS functions ported. In particular you can't write interupt
   routines or spawn DOS processes. I had to manually add some missing
   functions (stty and get/set break).
3. The Library is pretty barren.
4. No control over FP traps.
5. VM doesn't seem to work.
6. If you want to distribute commercially, the extender is $5/copy, if
   you use FSF it is free. The compiler is free. The Metaware/PharLap
   combo is $3000 w.o VM.

It's fairly easy to live with the problems!

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com <<< Note new address

root@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Big Brother who watches you) (01/25/91)

In <1991Jan22.042455.9111@cs.dal.ca> morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) writes:

>In article <2612@trlluna.trl.oz> hui@shiva.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) writes:
>>Hi,
>>
>>   Did anyone know where is "gcc" for the MSDOS is??
[..]

***** When doing Anonymous Ftp to 128.32.184.254 (ocf.berkeley.edu) this failed!
***** FTP replies:
*****    530 User ftp: can't change directory to //sandstorm/accounts/ftp.
***** Probably an installation problem, or is sandstorm down?

>recently), it should be on sandstrom.berkeley.edu (128.32.234.18)
>--
>Dave Morash
>morash@ug.cs.dal.ca
>morash%dalcsug%dalcs@watmath.uucp
>morash%dalcsug@dalcs.uucp

***** No connection to 128.32.234.18 (see above).

????? Is there an alternative FTP location for this stuff?

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (01/29/91)

I just realized that I posted a review for *another* port of gcc than
had been specifically mentioned here.

This port is from DJ Delorie, and is available from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
(login ftp) directory /pub/msdos/djgcc. Not only does it have the Gnu
C and C++, as, ld, ar, nm, strip, but also a 32 bit runtime with virtual
memory support (which works -- there was an error in the docs -- yes,
*this* port has some docs, although meager.)

In article <timd.664685360@melomys> timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Tim Duncan) writes:

| An MSDOS version of g++??? Sounds really great. But what type
| of hardware would it be limited to in order to run properly?

  It runs on 386 or 486 with 128MB RAM and 128MB disk.

In article <3000@sixhub.UUCP> I wrote:
| In article <timd.664685360@melomys> timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Tim Duncan) writes:
|
| | An MSDOS version of g++??? Sounds really great. But what type
| | of hardware would it be limited to in order to run properly?
|
|   It runs on 386 or 486 with 128MB RAM and 128MB disk.

  That is, it will use up to those limits, seems to run just fine in a
4MB 386SX with 2MB free in the temp directory. Probably will run in less
but I don't have a convenient "less" machine to use.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/31/91)

In article <3000@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <timd.664685360@melomys> timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Tim Duncan) writes:
>
>| An MSDOS version of g++??? Sounds really great. But what type
>| of hardware would it be limited to in order to run properly?
>
>  It runs on 386 or 486 with 128MB RAM and 128MB disk.
                              ^^^^^^^^^

Is this a joke?

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (02/01/91)

In article <3000@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <timd.664685360@melomys> timd@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Tim Duncan) writes:
>
>| An MSDOS version of g++??? Sounds really great. But what type
>| of hardware would it be limited to in order to run properly?
>
>  It runs on 386 or 486 with 128MB RAM and 128MB disk.

You must be joking!
128MB RAM is about the maximum our 486 EISA system can be equipped with;
I don't know of any 386/486 AT that can be equipped with that much of RAM

Rob.
--
# Rob Luursema, Philips Information Systems Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.   #
# Internet Domain: robl@idca.tds.philips.nl (UUCP: ..!hp4nl!philapd!robl) #