[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] editors for huge files

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
>although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.

I would guess that, for a file of that size, you would have to go commercial.
I am unaware of any PD or shareware product that can handle a 1 Meg file (of
course, now watch somebody pop in here and make a fool out of me :)  ).

I use Vedit by Greenview Software.  Paid $85 for it mail order.  I have used
it to edit files of the size you're talking about, and I can attest that it
works.

I hear that Brief is also good.  And there are many more out there on the
market that I'm sure others on here can recommend.

>Roggie
>(boone@ahtena.cs.uga.edu)  <== respond here please

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.

I would highly recommend PMate.  It is a Pheonix product, I believe.

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (01/29/91)

Roggie Boone writes:
>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)

Epsilon (Lugaru Software) will do it.  It can swap to disk, ramdisk, or
expanded memory.

-jeff-

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.205844.19802@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>>load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
>>although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.
>
>I would guess that, for a file of that size, you would have to go commercial.
>I am unaware of any PD or shareware product that can handle a 1 Meg file (of
>course, now watch somebody pop in here and make a fool out of me :)  ).

OK :-).

wuarchive.wustl.edu has mirrors/msdos/editors/sedt40pc.arc which will
do files > 1M.  This is a great editor if you have a DEC EDT background
(I do).

Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

.

it1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (01/29/91)

>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
>although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.

  te25.zip in simtel20 (under pd1:<msdos.editors>) will handle files of
any size.  It is *FAST*, even when you edit a file larger than memory.
This is very similar to Qedit in feature and performance.

  WordPerfect's PE editor will handle files of any size too, but very
slowly.

--
  I'd never cry if I did find a blue whale in my soup...
  Nor would I mind a porcupine inside a chicken coop.

mark@urz.unibas.ch (01/29/91)

	KEDIT 4.0 can use mem.above 1M on AT.

	Or use the good old WORDSTAR where the file size is limited only by
disk size. (Swaps automatically.)

	ME (MultiEdit) also uses mem.above 1M, is a great editor and the
nearly fully functional DEMO is free.

					G.Mark

hf@marvin.e17.Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Hannes Faestermann) (01/29/91)

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:

>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
...stuff deleted...

Try EMACS from the FSF (Free Software Foundation): It's able to load
files >1MB and there are lots of macro packages written in a sort of
lisp.
You can get the newest version by anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu
in the directory pub/gnu
The newest version is 18.57 and it's size is about 4MB as a tar'ed and
compressed file

	Hannes

Hannes Faestermann           |  Internet:
Physik-Department E17        |   H.Faestermann@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de
TU Muenchen,                 |  or: hf@marvin[.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de]
8046 Garching, West Germany  |  BitNET  : HF@DGABLG5P

v056ped5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian M McNamara) (01/29/91)

>>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>....stuff deleted...

I think that the editor that comes with FST's Modula-2 will handle this and
it has very nice function key controls (block copy/move/delete, global replace,
etc.) I know that you can use the big name editors (WordPerfect, WordStar,
MS Word, and so on and so on) and simply save the file in ASCII mode. I
don't know of any that don't have ASCII formatting.

Brian

gray@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Bill Gray x2128) (01/29/91)

XyWrite can be made to work with gigantic files.  It can buffer parts
of the file to disk.

Moving through the file is slow.  Moving text from point A to point B
in the "normal" XyWrite method is impossible when the points are in
different 64K segments of the file.  If you need to do that, define the
text in question (in sections if necessary) and save them to disk.  Then
delete them from the doc (if moving) or just go to the location where
they are to be placed (if copying) and merge the disk file in at the new
cursor location.

Save often.  Use XyWrite's memory allocation feature to dump all programs
and files it has automatically loaded to free up RAM for the doc.  (XyWrite
will reload what it has to have.)

A ***far*** easier method is to use the Unix split command to divide the
huge file into sections of manageable length.  Edit to your heart's content
on the editor you like best after you have pared the monster to a size
your editor can easily handle.  Then use the DOS append command to reunite
the beast if you must.

Good luck.

Bill
--
: gray@rsvl.unisys.com                      :                                  :
:                                           :  My gun is safer than Ted        :

reid@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Reid Trimble) (01/30/91)

> (From: Roggie Boone) /  1:14 pm  Jan 28, 1991 /
> I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
> I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
> I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.

I'll refrain from making any comments regarding programming style or
maintainability...

> The program does not have to
> load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
> although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.

> I would prefer to get PD editors from ftp sites, but I would appreciate
> any info.

Try CALVIN, a partial vi clone that was posted on comp.binaries.ibm.pc
recently.  Using the :set directory command to point at an empty 2Mb
ram disk I was able to edit a 1.6Mb text file.

d89peter@odalix.ida.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) (01/30/91)

hf@marvin.e17.Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Hannes Faestermann) writes:

>kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:

>>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>...stuff deleted...

>Try EMACS from the FSF (Free Software Foundation): It's able to load
>files >1MB and there are lots of macro packages written in a sort of
>lisp.
>You can get the newest version by anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu
>in the directory pub/gnu
>The newest version is 18.57 and it's size is about 4MB as a tar'ed and
>compressed file

Uuu.... Sure, GNU Emacs can load files up to 16MB in size, but due to the
way it is written you don't wanna edit huge files with it unless you have
your own workstation with some >16MB RAM (or more). With smaller machines
the pageing resulting from editing huge files in Gnu Emacs is horrible..
(It loads the whole file into the memory and keeps it there until you
save you changes..)

/Peter

--
Peter Eriksson                                              pen@lysator.liu.se
Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.215941.22369@world.std.com> jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) writes:
>Roggie Boone writes:
>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard

Don't laugh, but edlin will.

Yes.  That old tiny edlin will edit that file.

(any flames about edlin are to go to:  /dev/null :-)

--
Internet:    einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and drag
UUCP:    ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs to the waste basket!!!!"

Surgeon Generals warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!

crowley@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Charlie Crowley) (01/30/91)

boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
> I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
> I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
> I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
> and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
> load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
> although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.
>
> I would prefer to get PD editors from ftp sites, but I would appreciate
> any info.

I wrote a PC editor called Point that was bundled with the Logitech mouse
for a year or two (no longer, I was replaced by a shell, alas) that uses a
virtual memory-like method and can editor files of any length.  Anyone
who is interested can have the code (it is a bit lengthy 10,000 lines)
or can ftp an .exe file.

I also am preparing an X windows version of the editor which pretty much
works (although there are some bugs that crash it occasionally).  I would
love to have someone else try it out.  It uses the mouse very extensively.
Email me for more info.

Charlie Crowley
Univ. of New Mexico Computer Science Dept.

kebera@alzabo.uucp (Krishna E. Bera) (01/30/91)

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>I would guess that, for a file of that size, you would have to go commercial.
>I am unaware of any PD or shareware product that can handle a 1 Meg file (of
>course, now watch somebody pop in here and make a fool out of me :)  ).

Try the Whitney Editor from Whitney Software
who may be contacted at:
P.O.Box 4999
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

It uses all available expanded memory and is shareware.
--
Krishna E. Bera
Programmer/Analyst				kebera@alzabo.ocunix.on.ca

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.205844.19802@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
>>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
>>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
>>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor, Blackbeard
>>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not have to
>>load all of the program at once (ie. it can use disk swapping as needed)
>>although I do have 4 MB of RAM available.
>
>I would guess that, for a file of that size, you would have to go commercial.
>I am unaware of any PD or shareware product that can handle a 1 Meg file (of
>course, now watch somebody pop in here and make a fool out of me :)  ).

Well, funny you should say that, but Jove 4.14 (freeware, source
provided, should be on SIMTEL20 I think) is said to handle files up to
25000 lines with no file-size limitation, running on a 640k PC. Actually the
number of lines is dependent on compile-time options which allow you to
build compact versions. The file is kept in a temporary file, but on a
reasonbly fast hard disk it's not *too* slow.

Jove is an Emacs-type editor (so you'll either love it or hate it :-)
and looks a lot like GNU Emacs, except that it is non-programmable. It
also runs on generic MS-DOS machines, Unix and (would you believe)
Macs. The DOS source is compatible with MS C 5.0 upwards.

While I'm on the subject, has anybody fixed Jove for 50-line VGA mode?
It  has a 43-line EGA mode, but it hits the metal a lot and doesn't work
too well on a VGA card. Should be fairly simple to fix, but I don't
think I've got the space on my hard disk to start hacking it :-).
| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (02/01/91)

Try vi.
--
Andy Toy <andy@mks.com>                       UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!mks!andy
Technical Support <support@mks.com>                     Phone: +1-519-884-2270

bob@ns.UUCP (Bob Mathias) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.003823.4969@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>Try vi.
I couldn't think of a poorer editor for large files than vi!  The vi's I've
used on 386 systems have real small limits for things like deleting (
I believe it was around 5000 to 6000 lines).  I also believe that the
buffers are also limited.

--
Bob Mathias                          uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (02/04/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d: 30-Jan-91 Re: editors for
> huge files Krishna E. Bera@alzabo.u (981)

> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
> >In article <1991Jan28.201452.27323@athena.cs.uga.edu>
> boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
> >>I am looking for an ASCII editor that will let me edit huge files.
> >>I have a program file (21000+ lines) that is over 1 megabyte in size and
> >>I need to edit it, preferably on a PC.  I've tried Personal Editor,
> Blackbeard
> >>and Qedit but none of them load the entire file.  The program does not
> have to
> >I would guess that, for a file of that size, you would have to go commercial.
> >I am unaware of any PD or shareware product that can handle a 1 Meg file (of
> >course, now watch somebody pop in here and make a fool out of me :)  ).

Of course, there is always edlin ;->

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)