[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WANTED: TETRIS in non-WINDOWS executable form

cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) (01/29/91)

can anyone please tell me where i might find TETRIS for
a non-windows ms-dos environment? i've looked at about
15 anonymous FTP sites and could only find versions for
SUN workstations. please e-mail replies to cn9gr8a@hydra.unm.edu.

thanks.

jim warsa
albuquerque

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.155539.16989@ariel.unm.edu> cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) writes:
>can anyone please tell me where i might find TETRIS for
>a non-windows ms-dos environment? i've looked at about

You could try your local software vendor, or a mail-order place.  Remember,
TETRIS (tm) is a COMMERCIAL product produced by Spectrum Holobyte.  You should
NOT be able to find it on the net, as that would be illegal.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | ERROR:  Invalid
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| command 'HELP'

erc@radon.berkeley.edu (Eric Ng) (01/30/91)

In article <2046@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:

>In article <1991Jan29.155539.16989@ariel.unm.edu> cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) writes:
>>
>>can anyone please tell me where i might find TETRIS for
>>a non-windows ms-dos environment? i've looked at about
>
>You could try your local software vendor, or a mail-order place.  Remember,
>TETRIS (tm) is a COMMERCIAL product produced by Spectrum Holobyte.  You should
>NOT be able to find it on the net, as that would be illegal.

Or you could try ocf.berkeley.edu (128.32.184.254) if you have a fast
(read:  8 MHz or faster, the faster the better) PC compatible and an EGA
with 256k RAM or a VGA card.  There you will find egaint.

Egaint is a "free" (both free of charge and copylefted) product with some
rather nice features.  Also available is the full Turbo Pascal 5.5
source code.  Two versions of egaint have appeared in cbip.  This is
not illegal.

-eric

--
eric ng 1906 milvia street berkeley california 94704
..!uunet!irss.njit.edu!erc ...!ucbvax!radon!erc

steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.155539.16989@ariel.unm.edu> cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) writes:
>can anyone please tell me where i might find TETRIS for
>a non-windows ms-dos environment? i've looked at about

There is a version of TETRIS called Nyet, which is quite good (and
non-windows).  This should be available from most archives that
include games.

It is available from   "garbo.uwasa.fi"
in  "pub/PC/games/nyet.zoo"    (or similar)

cheers,
Stephen Peter                       steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au
School of Architecture, University of New South Wales, Australia

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (01/31/91)

cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) writes:

>>can anyone please tell me where i might find TETRIS for
>>a non-windows ms-dos environment? i've looked at about

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:

>You could try your local software vendor, or a mail-order place.  Remember,
>TETRIS (tm) is a COMMERCIAL product produced by Spectrum Holobyte.  You should
>NOT be able to find it on the net, as that would be illegal.

The original Tetris was NOT commercial.  It was also not very good, being
a character-mode game (like Nyet) which had a nasty lag-time in cleaning out
the keyboard buffer (unlike Nyet).  But it *was* (is) the original, Soviet
version on which all others, including the S. H. version, are based.

Nyet can be found on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, I think, but not the most
recent version (1.2)--that doesn't seem to exist on any ftp site in the
U.S.  EGAINT on ocf is excellent and should be up to date, since Eric is
both the guy who wrote it and one of the moderators(?) of ocf.  Its top
level is comparable in speed to Nyet's, despite using EGA graphics.

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (01/31/91)

In article <1046@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) writes:

>In article <1991Jan29.155539.16989@ariel.unm.edu> cn9gr8am@hydra.unm.edu (j warsa) writes:
>There is a version of TETRIS called Nyet, which is quite good (and
>non-windows).  This should be available from most archives that
>include games.
>
>It is available from   "garbo.uwasa.fi"
>in  "pub/PC/games/nyet.zoo"    (or similar)

Sorry, we don't have it anymore. We tend keep down the number of games
packages here at garbo.uwasa.fi so  we clean that  directory every now
and then. Games is not the main thing we consentrate here :)

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ===========================
P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

GERSHON@BARILVM.BITNET (Gershon Kunin) (02/05/91)

The Tetris-like game NYET can be found at many FTP-able sites.  It
needs no special hardware configuration.

-Gershon